Why on earth Griff in CF?

Princess Dye

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 05:55 PM)
Who do you want there? We need to replace a bat like CQ's with one like Griffey can hopefully provide us with.

He's talking about tonight....and having the vastly D-challenged Griffey in LF I believe.

This may not seem logical... but I think it's because they believe Griffey will rise to the occasion.

That a combination of pride, desire, and adrenaline will help him peak in this last month.

And that they're banking on his experience and instincts in CF taking over as part of that process.

Again... may not seem 'logical'... but if it works, I'd give KW and Ozzie bonus points for understanding how to tap into a player's psyche.

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 05:02 PM)
This may not seem logical... but I think it's because they believe Griffey will rise to the occasion.

That a combination of pride, desire, and adrenaline will help him peak in this last month.

And that they're banking on his experience and instincts in CF taking over as part of that process.

Again... may not seem 'logical'... but if it works, I'd give KW and Ozzie bonus points for understanding how to tap into a player's psyche.

He can rise to the occasion in LF. Or, how about he loses 20 pounds of ass/gut fat? It couldn't hurt his speed.

I honestly believe Guillen just doesn't understand the significance of defense.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 06:32 PM)
He can rise to the occasion in LF. Or, how about he loses 20 pounds of ass/gut fat? It couldn't hurt his speed.

I honestly believe Guillen just doesn't understand the significance of defense.

If he didn't understand the significance of defense, why would he have played Uribe so much these last couple of years?

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 11:41 PM)
If he didn't understand the significance of defense, why would he have played Uribe so much these last couple of years?

I would say he understands infield defense, as that's where he played. However, he's shown little in the way of urgency in getting his best defensive outfield on the field.

I actually laughed when reading this quote from Guillen when he was talking about Josh Fields . ''Unfortunately for him, his manager believes in defense. Defense is a big part of baseball, and people don't realize that.

''If you play good defense, your pitching staff will be better. I don't know who came up with the idea [that] your offense is going to win. Not in the American League. If you don't catch the ball in this league, I don't care how good your offense is, it will catch up to you.''

There's just no justifcation for playing Griffey in center if Guillen truly believes what he's quoted as saying here and this was before we learned of Quentins injury. Now if we see the weak hitting/fielding Owens in CF ahead of BA I hope someone throws this quote in his face.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 08:35 PM)
I said it in the gamethread as well but, if you have Swish who can play average D in all OF spots, and Griffey who is below-average CF and 0 LF experience, it makes sense.

Yes. Griffey has played LF for a total of 13 innings in his career, with the last time coming in 2002. It's better that he play CF for a bit while he learns the angles in LF over the course of maybe 3-5 days. Griffey with no experience in LF is worse than he is in CF.

Give it a couple of days.

The question is how long do you keep Griff in center with his terrible defense if he's not producing offensively? I say, short leash. You get the same sub-average offense from Brian Anderson, but at least your defense is three times as good.

Actually I don't think they've announced it, but I'm expecting them to be playing Griffey in center everyday. That is until the "general soreness" resurfaces and he takes himself out.

QUOTE (Felix @ Sep 6, 2008 -> 10:43 PM)
Better yet, why not just bench Griffey and replace him with an equivalent hitter and far superior fielder in Brian Anderson?

Eh, who am I kidding? They'd never bench Griffey. He has 10 gold gloves!!!!1

I am not an advocate of Griffey in center but he seemed ok today.. He is ok when the ball is hit right to him. Not too much for him to handle.. At least in the late inning both Swisher and Griffey were replaced.. Ozzie knows a little.. My thought is can Floyd and Aj pitching plan seemed to not stretch Griffey's range too much. I was at the game last night and I always adhered to alternating Griffey and THome.. Yesterday, Ozzie must've hunched right.. I have never been to a more exciting game.. 15 inning and I said to my girlfriend that no one left their seats.. She countered with maybe they are waiting for the fireworks.. Duh but it was a great game anyway.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 7, 2008 -> 11:41 AM)
I don't know if I'd go that far.

I'd say that they are about even at this point.

Well, maybe not leaps and bounds, but he is still better.

Griffey gets much better reads then Swisher out there, and that makes him better then Swish in CF.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Sep 7, 2008 -> 01:06 PM)
Well, maybe not leaps and bounds, but he is still better.

Griffey gets much better reads then Swisher out there, and that makes him better then Swish in CF.

Swisher is quicker in CF than Griffey. So, that evens it up, in my opinion.