Jason Bourgeois up with Sox

maggliopipe

QUOTE (maggliopipe @ Sep 6, 2008 -> 09:55 PM)
Also given the curious timing, I wonder if KW is gonna try to make a move to get someone to help out in Quentin's absence for September even though the incoming player wouldn't be eligible for the postseason roster.

Who could possibly be out there at this point that could repalce Quentin? Sheffield? I wouldn't think so, but the timing is curious

Jason Bourgeois-2B-White Sox Sep. 6 - 6:06 pm et

White Sox purchased the contract of INF/OF Jason Bourgeois from Triple-A Charlotte.

Bourgeois hit .286/.335/.404 at Triple-A this season. He has a good amount of versatility and will likely find starts at multiple positions. Still, his fantasy value is pretty minimal.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 6, 2008 -> 05:15 PM)
Changed the Topic Title, as Bourgeois up is bigger news than Chuck getting his papers(obviously the same trasnaction).

JB will add some nice depth to the bench, allow Oz to be more flexible late in games.

Looked like Wise was a little banged up last night, maybe this move is in response to that? Or it could simply be they had no real use for Chuck, and wanted to get another body up.

Weird move. Bourgeois is just a replacement part, but it is possible that someone like Seattle or Washington would take a flyer on Haeger in the offseason and give some return for him. I mean, Bourgeois is behind Owens and Wise as a pinch runner and behind Getz as a replacement 2B?

Well, I disagree that calling up Bourgeois is the big story here. Cutting lose one of the best pitching prospects in our (admittedly horrible) farm system seems like a pretty big deal to me. Charlie is more accomplished at his age than all but a few other knuckle ball pitchers in the history of the game; he'll stick with a major league club eventually. It blows my mind that we'd DFA him to free up a spot on the 40 man while holding on to garbage like Lucas Harrell.

QUOTE (Jeremy @ Sep 6, 2008 -> 06:14 PM)
Well, I disagree that calling up Bourgeois is the big story here. Cutting lose one of the best pitching prospects in our (admittedly horrible) farm system seems like a pretty big deal to me. Charlie is more accomplished at his age than all but a few other knuckle ball pitchers in the history of the game; he'll stick with a major league club eventually. It blows my mind that we'd DFA him to free up a spot on the 40 man while holding on to garbage like Lucas Harrell.

I think your knowledge of our farm system is about 2 years out of date.

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 6, 2008 -> 04:42 PM)

Agreed. We've got lots of pitching prospects at all levels of the system right now, but I would like to have seen us hold on to Charlie and see if he couldn't figure it out at some point.

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 6, 2008 -> 06:42 PM)

i think he has a point...knuckle ballers are an entirely different entity than normal ptichers....they take longer to develop and their metrics appear to not follow the same rules as normal pitchers..

i dont think it would have hurt to have haeger around for a little while longer

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 6, 2008 -> 10:15 PM)
Changed the Topic Title, as Bourgeois up is bigger news than Chuck getting his papers(obviously the same trasnaction).

JB will add some nice depth to the bench, allow Oz to be more flexible late in games.

I would like to see him play in a game for sure. He was pretty good in ST and got some serious looks

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (ChiSox35 @ Sep 7, 2008 -> 04:55 AM)
Sad to see Haeger go. I've always enjoyed watching knuckleballers throw, and I thought eventually he'd find some sort of relief role in Chicago, even if it was a cleanup role.

Actually I did too, but he never really impressed that much when with the big club

QUOTE (daa84 @ Sep 7, 2008 -> 09:07 AM)
i think he has a point...knuckle ballers are an entirely different entity than normal ptichers....they take longer to develop and their metrics appear to not follow the same rules as normal pitchers..

i dont think it would have hurt to have haeger around for a little while longer

My point was that Haeger was one of our top pitching prospects two years ago.

Right now he's not even in the top 10 pitchers in our system.

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 7, 2008 -> 05:07 PM)
My point was that Haeger was one of our top pitching prospects two years ago.

Right now he's not even in the top 10 pitchers in our system.

and deservedly so

It brings up a few points, notably that the White Sox pitching depth within the system was terrible (and still is, though it's improving) and that Haeger was also more of a wild card than he was a surefire prospect. If Haeger has a career in the bigs, I wouldn't be surprised if it's closer to Steve Sparks than Tim Wakefield.