Alexei, Juan, Ozzie and Vlad...

CanOfCorn

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 12:47 PM)
Hits = mlb notice, which = cash money.

True, but so does a well-rounded game. I thought the whole idea is that the more pitches you see, the better hitter you are...

...with the exception of Nick Swisher this year.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 01:45 PM)
Now obviously this isn't exclusive to Latin players, but I was wondering if anyone had a theory about why so many Latin players have such horrible plate discipline?

There is an old saying in latin american scouting, "you don't walk off the island". Scouts down there simply don't tend to notice hitters that draw walks, because it's not sexy. They notice guys that get a lot of hits, can field, can run, and so on. I think another factor is the culture of baseball down there is just different, and the walk isn't valued as much. One more thing is you generally don't tend to see as many hulking, power hitters coming from latin america, and those kinds of guys often tend to cause more fear in pitchers and thus draw more walks.

I went to a baseball fall league a couple years ago, and a guest speaker was the brother of the coordinator, and the speaker was Harrison (forgot the first name but apparently was a high draft pick back in the day and a respected hitting coach who is hired to work with prospects not to mention a big time college coach for a while) and he said a great line:

"You dont walk off the island" Thats the philosophy that they go by.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 02:47 PM)
There is an old saying in latin american scouting, "you don't walk off the island". Scouts down there simply don't tend to notice hitters that draw walks, because it's not sexy. They notice guys that get a lot of hits, can field, can run, and so on. I think another factor is the culture of baseball down there is just different, and the walk isn't valued as much. One more thing is you generally don't tend to see as many hulking, power hitters coming from latin america, and those kinds of guys often tend to cause more fear in pitchers and thus draw more walks.

dang, beat me too it :lol: