Lance Armstrong to race TDF in 09

That's cool to see him come back. I'm sure all the biking die hards will love this. Even though I'm a die hard I probably won't watch it that much. I'm kind of tire of seeing athletes come out of retirement, but that's their choice whether it's for their egos or because they miss it or whatever else.

QUOTE (Steff @ Sep 10, 2008 -> 03:01 PM)
That's a pretty bold accusation. Does it stem from anything or just hate?

Lance Armstrong is right up there with Sammy Sosa on the "he didn't test positive, but damn it's obvious what he was doing" scale. I personally have no hate for Lance Armstrong, he's made himself quite a bit of money doing it and the fact he's even alive is remarkable (although his cancer recovery and cycling careers are seperate things). But to think he's been clean all along is to have your head in the sand.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 10, 2008 -> 12:50 PM)
Lance Armstrong is right up there with Sammy Sosa on the "he didn't test positive, but damn it's obvious what he was doing" scale. I personally have no hate for Lance Armstrong, he's made himself quite a bit of money doing it and the fact he's even alive is remarkable (although his cancer recovery and cycling careers are seperate things). But to think he's been clean all along is to have your head in the sand.

So, I don't know this sport as well as you might...but it's always been my impression that it was as hard to get away with things in cycling as it was in any sport, and especially for the final years of his run, he was probably being tested more closely than any other sporting figure in the country.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 10, 2008 -> 03:50 PM)

I prefer to call it informed.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 10, 2008 -> 05:27 PM)
So, I don't know this sport as well as you might...but it's always been my impression that it was as hard to get away with things in cycling as it was in any sport, and especially for the final years of his run, he was probably being tested more closely than any other sporting figure in the country.

It's even more difficult to get away with things in cycling. They test more often and more random. And after his cancer diagnosis he was being tested more often due to the homeopathic drug regimen he was on.

I'm not a big fan of Lance, but like I said earlier if he wants to come back go for it. I know there's the drug enhancement cloud that hovers over him but until he actually tests positve for something, I don't have a problem with him coming back at all. I would make a comparison about it being hypocritical that many here were probably happy that Micheal Jordan came back..........twice......... but he didn't have a performance enhancement cloud hanging over him, at least to my knowledge. I'll probably end up somewhat rooting for him, depending on how he acts up until it, but I'd also like to see if he makes any excuses like he did a few years back on one of the race legs.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 04:40 PM)
They have hanging chads in France?

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 08:39 PM)
Cadel Evans couldnt hold his single testicle jockstrap in a suitcase.

:)

And Steff, I agree with you.

I made this post years ago. I have a friend whose brother is a trainer for these bicyclists. He admittedly has never worked with Lance Armstrong, but he has worked with many of his teammates. He says that the steroid use in bicycling is rampant, and that Armstrong would have to be more than just a freak of nature to be so dominant in the sport.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 08:37 AM)
Armstrong would have to be more than just a freak of nature to be so dominant in the sport.

It is possible, though, that he is a freak of nature. His heart is 33% larger than the average man's. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/statitude.../armstrong_btn/ That gives him a pretty distict advantage athletically. Granted, I don't know how his heart compares to other cyclists, but it is possible that he has a God-given advantage. Maybe he's like cyclings version of Wilt Chamberlain - ahead of his time athletically.

As stated earlier, he has been tested for all the banned substances - repeatedly, and the cycling organizations seem to be pretty good at catching cheaters regardless of their stature in the sport. That said, I wouldn't be totally shocked if he, or any athlete tested positive for PEDs. Sad, but not shocked.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 01:24 PM)
I think Lance uses. I think that most of the tour uses. I don't think it's cheating.

This point I am much more open to listening to. I think the list of people not using on the tour is so short, that it's almost not a competitive advantage to those who are.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 12:33 PM)
It is possible, though, that he is a freak of nature. His heart is 33% larger than the average man's. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/statitude.../armstrong_btn/ That gives him a pretty distict advantage athletically. Granted, I don't know how his heart compares to other cyclists, but it is possible that he has a God-given advantage. Maybe he's like cyclings version of Wilt Chamberlain - ahead of his time athletically.

As stated earlier, he has been tested for all the banned substances - repeatedly, and the cycling organizations seem to be pretty good at catching cheaters regardless of their stature in the sport. That said, I wouldn't be totally shocked if he, or any athlete tested positive for PEDs. Sad, but not shocked.

Sorry, what I was trying to say was that "Armstrong would have to be more than just a freak of nature to be so dominant in the sport."

The guy was saying that he could be a freak of nature and he'd still not be as good as he is.