Anyone want to bowl in a league?

EvilMonkey

We are trying to fill our league at Orland Bowl. It is a mixed league, every-other saturday night, starting this saturday. We need one team of 4 (2 guys, 2 gals) and one couple. The league had been around for a long time, Mrs. Alpha Dog & I have bowled on it for the last 15 years, and most of the people there are pretty good peeps. We had one team of younger people (man, makes me feel old to say that) who all had babies this summer, and want to take the year off, so we are short people. Not a terrible competitive league (averages range from 76 to 200, with the bulk between 120 and 170), but it is fun. Anyone?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 03:50 PM)
I bowl worse than Barack Obama. You don't want me on your team.

Not on my team, we are full. But as long as you are consistent, average dopesn't matter too much. Wife bowls about 110, I bowl about 180. But as I said, there are about 6 people under 100, several between 100 and 120, and most everybody else a little above that.

Edited by Alpha Dog

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 03:51 PM)
Not on my team, we are full. But as long as you are consistent, average dopesn't matter too much. Wife bowls about 110, I bowl about 180. But as I said, there are about 6 people under 100, sevveral between 100 and 120, and most everybody elsy a little above that.

I usually don't break 100.

I can't do it anyway - just wanted to run out that line.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 04:03 PM)
No, just one bad one.

I think I might need to switch to lefthanded. I did that in baseball (hitting, not throwing), and golf, and I ended up better at each one.

Wow,you were able to switch your swing in golf?

I could see putting the ball left handed but woods and irons I dont see being able to switch.That would be beyond difficult for myself anyways.

Wow bowling sure has gotten crazy popular over the past several years. We had to struggle to fill the leagues we are in just a few years ago now there's a line. We bowl at Stardust in Addison and St. Charles bowl and it's an awesome time. And tell those kids to bring the babies with! Bri slept in her travel swing or car seat when she was a baby and now she sits in her booster and loves all the attention.

QUOTE (Steff @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 03:54 PM)
Wow bowling sure has gotten crazy popular over the past several years. We had to struggle to fill the leagues we are in just a few years ago now there's a line. We bowl at Stardust in Addison and St. Charles bowl and it's an awesome time. And tell those kids to bring the babies with! Bri slept in her travel swing or car seat when she was a baby and now she sits in her booster and loves all the attention.

We tried. Most of the people there have brought their kids throughout. I have seen several of them 'grow up' while I was bowling. My kids come as well most nights. Wanna bowl here as well? You know you want to.........

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 03:58 PM)
We tried. Most of the people there have brought their kids throughout. I have seen several of them 'grow up' while I was bowling. My kids come as well most nights. Wanna bowl here as well? You know you want to.........

I don't know anything other than bringing her. Tonight is her 20th Sox game and she already been to Soldier field!!

To be honest we love to bowl and would love to if we had the time but that would conflict with our St Charles league.

QUOTE (almagest @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 10:22 PM)
My girlfriend loves to bowl, and I used to bowl in a league in grammar school, but this Saturday is her father's birthday party, so no go that day. Is it possible to join late?

Sure, we have had people do that before. In fact, if you want to join, and would miss the first week, i would recommend doing just that, otherwise they charge for the missed week. Send me a PM later and I will forward you the info.

QUOTE (Steff @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 03:54 PM)
Wow bowling sure has gotten crazy popular over the past several years.

That's what I keep hearing but I'm just not seeing it. My parents have been in a league since before I was born. They used to have 10-14 teams. Now my wife and I bowl with them and they've dwindled down to about 6 teams.

When I was growing up I bowled every saturday and we filled up all 32 lanes. Last year I took my kids to the same alley and they literally had to combine all the kids into one league and they only filled up about half the lanes. There were 7-year-olds bowling against 17-year-olds.

This year my youngest is bowling on Saturday mornings and we are seeing almost the same thing. They have two times 9:30 and 11:30 and they are talking about combining everyone into a 10:00 league.

I think bowling is becoming more popular as something to go out with your friends and do on some random night but I don't think people are commiting to leagues as much as they used to.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Sep 12, 2008 -> 01:10 PM)
That's what I keep hearing but I'm just not seeing it. My parents have been in a league since before I was born. They used to have 10-14 teams. Now my wife and I bowl with them and they've dwindled down to about 6 teams.

When I was growing up I bowled every saturday and we filled up all 32 lanes. Last year I took my kids to the same alley and they literally had to combine all the kids into one league and they only filled up about half the lanes. There were 7-year-olds bowling against 17-year-olds.

This year my youngest is bowling on Saturday mornings and we are seeing almost the same thing. They have two times 9:30 and 11:30 and they are talking about combining everyone into a 10:00 league.

I think bowling is becoming more popular as something to go out with your friends and do on some random night but I don't think people are commiting to leagues as much as they used to.

I think you have it, as far as the leagues are concerned. Bowling does seem to be gaining some in general popularity, but not many seem to want to make that weekly committment. Or in my leagues case, every other week committment. Our league had been steady at 16 teams for the last 20 years or so, but only this last year had it been tough to fill. We had 2 new teams last year, and one just quit as a team about half way thru. The other one is coming back, but we also had a couple where the husband died! So that's why we are donw a team and a half.

FYI, we managed to get a full team at the last minute, and 1 solo bowler. So we now need just one single person. Well, you can be married, but only one bowling spot is open. Anyone? Tonight the lanes were pretty dry. I didn't do so well, 169, 159, 218. I opened the last 3 frames of the third game, couldn't keep the ball in the pocket anymore.