September 11

knightni

9/11  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Is it still meaningful to you?

• Yes
    • No

It is definitely still meaningful day, and I don't know if I can say this without being insensitive because that is not the case, but I think it maybe getting to a point where we should stop having these big memorials. I mean unvail the Pentagon memorial and any that will be built in the future, but some of the stuff should be stopped and let's move forward as a country.

Nobody from this generation has forgotten, and nobody will, either. It's impossible. When people say "people act like they've forgotten" it's actually thinly veiled way of saying "these people don't support Policy X, which I happen to support which really means they are not willing to do what it takes to prevent 9-11 from happening again, so now I am telling you that I haven't forgotten about 9-11 as a subtle reminder that I am a better American than you."

The politicization and exploitation of 9-11 makes me sick.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 06:05 PM)
The politicization and exploitation of 9-11 makes me sick.

I'm not here to drag politics into it; (and no one else in this thread better either :angry: ) but, the remembrance of the lost and, of the event itself, seems very muted this year.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 06:16 PM)
I'm not here to drag politics into it; (and no one else in this thread better either :angry: ) but, the remembrance of the lost and, of the event itself, seems very muted this year.

I think that happens to all things over time, doesn't matter what it is. I wonder how long it took before Dec. 7th only got a passing mention every year? I would guess a few years after WWII ended. Now it's a scrolling headline at the bottom of the news screen, or a small headline in a paper somewhere. If I had to guess, 9-11 would have the same status in the year 2060 as Dec. 7 does today.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 06:25 PM)
I admit that I was up every 9/11 wondering what nut has decided that he wants to make his mark today by doing something stupid. And I end each one thankfull that the answer (so far) was 'none'.

Al-Qaida doesn't really work like that... they aren't really as concerned with dates as some people think they are, they do things when they're ready, and when they'll have the maximum effect. Whenever that might be. That effect won't happen if they know we're paying attention.

Did you guys ever hear Seth MacFarlane's Sept 11 story?

On the morning of the September 11, 2001 attacks, MacFarlane was scheduled to return to Los Angeles on American Airlines Flight 11 from Boston, Massachusetts, after delivering a keynote speech at his alma mater. MacFarlane has stated that his travel agent had given him an incorrect departure time (8:15 a.m. instead of 7:45 a.m.) and that he had been suffering from a hangover from the previous night's celebrations. As a result, he arrived at Logan International Airport sometime around 7:30 and was unable to board the flight. Fifteen minutes after departure, American Airlines Flight 11 was hijacked, and at 8:46 a.m. was flown into the North Tower of the World Trade Center, Port Authority, New York City, with no survivors.

In an interview with TVShowsOnDVD.com, MacFarlane said the following about his close call:

"The only reason it hasn’t really affected me as it maybe could have is I didn’t really know that I was in any danger until after it was over, so I never had that panic moment. After the fact, it was sobering, but people have a lot of close calls; you’re crossing the street and you almost get hit by a car… this one just happened to be related to something massive. I really can’t let it affect me because I’m a comedy writer. I have to put that in the back of my head."

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 04:29 PM)
Al-Qaida doesn't really work like that... they aren't really as concerned with dates as some people think they are, they do things when they're ready, and when they'll have the maximum effect. Whenever that might be. That effect won't happen if they know we're paying attention.

I don't necessarily mean them. Being a nutjob isn't just milited to Muslim terrorists, although they do seem to have a good head start. There are enough home grown idiots like ALF and possibly some of the Anarchists. Maybe Chavez down in South America gets tired of his tinhat visions of black helecopters and does something really stupid. Maybe a Mexican street gang really takes the message of La raza to heart and decides to bomb a few border crossings. I mean anything.

Bottom line who is going to a September 11th vigil tonight? The Boy Scouts here were doing three across the area, one by one they stopped do to poor attendance. This year a couple people were upset that one was not being held, but no one wanted to do the work necessary to make it happen. So no, it just is not as moving as it was 6 years ago.

It is, to me, a day of rememberance...and it always will be. What makes it that is the fact that we were attacked on our own soil in arguably, the Capital of the World. And I know Hawai'i is on our soil as well, but it's waaaay out there in the ocean, where New York is, well, New York. Not to mention that the Japanese attacked a military base while Al Qaeda attacked civilians.

I'm still on the fence about making today a Day of Remembrance, but I think I lean more towards making it an official day...because of the defenseless people that had no way to fight back. THAT, to me, always makes me shudder.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 03:08 PM)
Why is that? I haven't really kept up. See, now I'm derailing it again. :lol:

From what I understand, they have all these brilliant plans for what they're going to do with the site, but aside from a little bit of infrastructure work, it's all held up in the courts until every single agency that has some claim over the area is satisfied (police, firefighters, Port Authority, City, State, Federal, you name it). There's still demolition work that needs done (The old DB building), there's never been an official budget put together, no one's sure who's going to pay for it, different groups want different things for the memorial, and on and on.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 07:45 PM)
My wife is due to give birth any day now and let me say... I feared our child being born on September 11th. He / She would never fully understand, but when he / she tells an adult his or her birthday, I know the FIRST thing that will enter their mind is the twin towers.

My nephew's birthday is on September 11. In 2001 he was pretty young, but old enough to know that his birthday was f***ed up that day.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 07:45 PM)
My wife is due to give birth any day now and let me say... I feared our child being born on September 11th. He / She would never fully understand, but when he / she tells an adult his or her birthday, I know the FIRST thing that will enter their mind is the twin towers.

My ex-gf's birthday is Sept 11. Unfortunately, or fortunately it was easy to remember.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 06:04 PM)
I think that they've built a few buildings there.

They've rebuilt one building.

And they are working on the new PATH station, and the Freedom Tower steelwork is finally starting to be visible at street level.

There's been a lot of fighting over the development of that property.

Living in NYC, there's definitely a bit of a reminder everywhere today. But here it's something people live with and move on. In the end, having the whole city take the day to grieve every year is a bit much.

Most of the tabloid papers devoted their cover to 9/11 here. Except for the Post. Which had a little "We'll Never Forget" logo above a picture of a pig wearing lipstick.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 07:57 PM)
They've rebuilt one building.

And they are working on the new PATH station, and the Freedom Tower steelwork is finally starting to be visible at street level.

There's been a lot of fighting over the development of that property.

Living in NYC, there's definitely a bit of a reminder everywhere today. But here it's something people live with and move on. In the end, having the whole city take the day to grieve every year is a bit much.

Most of the tabloid papers devoted their cover to 9/11 here. Except for the Post. Which had a little "We'll Never Forget" logo above a picture of a pig wearing lipstick.

Okay.

I saw a TV show on History on how they were changing safety procedures with the new buildings.

I thought that there was more than the one that they showed.