White Sox Loser

claydude14

I think that the position players are in the locker room thinking..."4 runs is good enough. We did our job."

and the pitchers are thinking "It doesn't matter how many runs we gave up, the offense wasn't going to score until the pressure was off."

Maybe we can stop trotting out Sept callups in late game situations with 16 to play. There is no reason that Wasserman should in this game.

Also Griffey should be playing LF, there is no reason to have superior defensive players sitting in LF while he struggles to catch fly balls in CF. I understand he is more comfortable in CF, but its time to make decisions for the best of the team.

QUOTE (ROC Sox Fan @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 10:12 PM)
What else to say. At least we fought back after the bullpen s*** the bed. And the Thome facial hair is interesting. :gosox1: tomorrow!

What else to say? What I'd say is the Central is starting to look completely irrelevent in the playoff picture. I'm learning both teams can't cross the finish line when it matters. I'm starting to believe all my fretting every night for the next three weeks (and past two months), when I look back as the Cubs are playing the Angels, will seem like a such a complete waste of time, energy and hope. I wish I could be like some more pragmatic folks who just see things as they are real time, and know when to cut their emotional losses.......I'm so weak :gosox1:

If Ozzie is going to give his boy-toy Jerry Owens playing time, why would he not use Josh Fields in the 9th for Griffey against a left-handed pitcher? His average against lefties this season is under .200...Josh Fields put up an OPS of 1.069 and hit .321 against lefties last year. At some point respect for the accomplishments of a player need to be forgotten and an objective analysis of how he is actually performing needs to be done. Swisher has been a stud late in games, so I have no problem with him hitting, and AJ actually has a higher average against lefties this year than righties, so again no problem...but I sit here and wonder why Ozzie is just playing into the hands of Cito Gaston.

Ozzie is a fantastic manager but he makes so many questionable in-game decisions that it really can hurt a team. Fields probably gets out there, but he has a better chance of getting a base hit, let alone putting one in the stands, than Griffey does right there. Hell, Konerko with a f***ed up knee probably has a better chance of getting a base hit at that point in time.

This isn't a criticism of Ozzie, but at what point will he say enough is enough and get tossed by an umpiring crew? The two calls at first base were terrible tonight, and the strike calls to Griffey in the 9th were awful. I rarely blame umpires instead of players, but this has gotten out of control.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 10:50 PM)
So what's your proposed lineup for tomorrow? Here's mine:

OC

Griffey

Dye

Thome

AJP

Ramirez

Swisher

Uribe

Anderson

I don't think either Owens or Wise can hit a 95 mph fastball.

Those 9 should basically be playing everyday from this point on unless we are facing a tough lefty. There is really no reason Owens or Wise should be playing over Anderson.

Yeah, Brian needs to be in CF every day (possibly Wise against RHP sometimes), with Griffey playing LF. Owens needs to be a pinch runner. With expanded bullpens, Linebrink back, and MacDougal pitching pretty well, there's no need to put Wasserman in there, especially with his struggles at the MLB level this year.

Let's take 2 of 3 from Detroit, and go from there.

It's so easy to say something about this team you regret later.

Like this statement: Can we beat any good teams??? Ever???

God. They come in and win 3 of 4 from us. Are you s***ting me? Three of four? In a pennant race in the Cell?

On nights like this it's so easy to say we're just not good enough to be talking postseason.

I'll shut up and copy and paste the first few paragraphs of Gonzales' story.

I have to at least agree with the headline. God this team is maddening!!!

White Sox blow a big opportunity

(PHOTOS)

By Mark Gonzales

Chicago Tribune

(MCT)

CHICAGO — The White Sox missed a chance Thursday night to expand their lead in the American League Central.

But after Toronto’s mastery in a 6-4 victory, the Sox at least won’t have to worry about the Blue Jays entering the final 16 games of the regular season.

The Sox ended their season series with a 1-7 record against the Blue Jays, scoring just 18 runs.

Not even seven shutout innings from Gavin Floyd were good enough as the Jays broke out with a six-run eighth inning off Floyd and relievers Matt Thornton and Ehren Wassermann.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 12, 2008 -> 05:32 AM)
It's so easy to say something about this team you regret later.

Like this statement: Can we beat any good teams??? Ever???

God. They come in and win 3 of 4 from us. Are you s***ting me? Three of four? In a pennant race in the Cell?

Yes, 2 of 3 against the Angels. Next question.

BTW, tell your beloved manager to stop using our scrubs in a pennant race. There's a reason these guys were in the minors all season.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 12, 2008 -> 05:40 AM)
I knew you wouldn't comment on my post and just rip me for my love of Oz.

Yes I love Ozzie.

The Angels arguably aren't the Angels right now, coasting in with the big lead. We didn't face Weaver who would have shut us down.

Well, we did beat Lackey, who is their best pitcher. We also gave K-Rod a blown save.

Then I'll take that as a plus from tonight. We did beat KRod and won the Angels series. I just can't believe we can't do better than 1 of 4 from Toronto with so much at stake. We are a veteran laden team and even though baseball is a marathon I'd hope we could do better than 1 of 4.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 12, 2008 -> 04:55 AM)
Then I'll take that as a plus from tonight. We did beat KRod and won the Angels series. I just can't believe we can't do better than 1 of 4 from Toronto with so much at stake. We are a veteran laden team and even though baseball is a marathon I'd hope we could do better than 1 of 4.

I think everyone on here understands how this team could lose 3 of 4 to a great pitching team like Toronto who's playing superb baseball. However, this series highlighted how you can't afford to lose to terrible pitchers like R. Liz, L. Cormier, and M. Bowden.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 10:55 PM)

the Blue Jays have won 11 of 12, so in that regard, atleast the Sox didn't get swept like the two teams Toronto played before the Sox.

The Jays did to us what they did to the Twins. While all the warm fuzzy feelings of the Twins failing against Toronto are gone, we're still a game up. In the midst of our s***show against Toronto I was thinking how great it would be to sweep a team, not even for in regards to standings against the Twins because that would mean s***- this race will probably go down till the end- but to simply reap the rewards of playing good baseball and knowing you're heads and shoulders better than that team. With what we've got left on tap, and how we've been playing this is pretty unlikely, but I think it would do wonders mentally, and with the loss of Quentin and his stunt double, this teams state of mind is laughably (like no business in the postseason laughable) pathetic.

I work lol hours a week now, so I didn't get a chance to watch or hear (haven't even read) what happened. I see we got 4 runs. I don't think Floyd dunnit, so who was it from our calf-pen who failed this time?

*edit* I clicked on a random page in the game thread to see what I feared I would see. Swisher staring at strikes and swinging at balls. This guy was among my favorite ballplayers while in Oakland, and I believe 08 is an aberration, but what the hell? He's even more frustrating than OC doing his 5 star Cintron impersonation in the early part of the season. It's getting so annoying that for a game or two or 9 I'd even put Dye (even Thome or Fields until Quentin's stunt double gets back) at first and use an OF of Ando, Junior and Wise while "K looking" rests his ass in the heat of a race. Mayhaps he could be a defensive replacement in the ninth inning of games we're leading (at first of course).

Edited by ChiSox35

We hit LOTS of homeruns against bad teams

We hit FEW homeruns against good teams

Most good teams fit this mold. But, here's the difference with our team vs. TB, LAA, TOR, MIN, BOS:

When they don't hit homeruns, they still find other ways to win games.

When we don't hit homeruns, we have a difficult time winning games, to the point where it's almost impossible, due to poor fundamental play (Laying down a bunt, forcing the defense to make a play going 1st to 3rd, holding runners on 1st, hitting to the opposite fields), and lack of team speed

What I think is going to happen over the next few years, if this teams approach doesn't change, is we're going to see more and more teams find it easier to shut our lineup down, due to it's one-dimensional approach. Guys like Andy Sonnanstine, amongst others who have high 3 to high 4 ERA's, that still find ways to put up 0's across the board, will probably become more common in the next few years

In 2005, we hit around 200 bombs. But when we didn't hit homeruns, we still found ways to scratch out wins. You have to be honest with yourself, we are the most one-dimensional team that's currently vying for a playoff spot. One-dimensional will probably get this team one-and-done

Just for the record, I've felt this way all year once we started hitting the ball and seeing how we rarely scored by "keeping the line moving", but by pure mashing. Playoff pitching staffs shut teams like that down, and I think that's what will probably happen to us. I just hope in the next few years we end up with players who can do the little things properly, to help win games when we're facing elite pitchers who simply do not give up homeruns. This is not a reactionary post because we lost 7 of 8 to Toronto, it's because i've been seeing us get absolutely shut down by these really good pitchers, because we can't scratch runs across without swinging as hard as possible

Edited by joesaiditstrue

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 12, 2008 -> 04:34 AM)
BTW, tell your beloved manager to stop using our scrubs in a pennant race. There's a reason these guys were in the minors all season.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I love Ozzie but I mean WTF?

You know what that sereis told me.

The Blue Jays are really good.

If not for an inept GM who finally fired the asshat manager and got a decent manager in there they would have been in the pennant race all season. They also lost another really good starting pitcher...the name escapes me. This team simply gave Reed Johnson and Frank Thomas away.