White Sox Loser

claydude14

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Sep 12, 2008 -> 05:31 AM)
We hit LOTS of homeruns against bad teams

We hit FEW homeruns against good teams

Most good teams fit this mold. But, here's the difference with our team vs. TB, LAA, TOR, MIN, BOS:

When they don't hit homeruns, they still find other ways to win games.

When we don't hit homeruns, we have a difficult time winning games, to the point where it's almost impossible, due to poor fundamental play (Laying down a bunt, forcing the defense to make a play going 1st to 3rd, holding runners on 1st, hitting to the opposite fields), and lack of team speed

What I think is going to happen over the next few years, if this teams approach doesn't change, is we're going to see more and more teams find it easier to shut our lineup down, due to it's one-dimensional approach. Guys like Andy Sonnanstine, amongst others who have high 3 to high 4 ERA's, that still find ways to put up 0's across the board, will probably become more common in the next few years

In 2005, we hit around 200 bombs. But when we didn't hit homeruns, we still found ways to scratch out wins. You have to be honest with yourself, we are the most one-dimensional team that's currently vying for a playoff spot. One-dimensional will probably get this team one-and-done

Just for the record, I've felt this way all year once we started hitting the ball and seeing how we rarely scored by "keeping the line moving", but by pure mashing. Playoff pitching staffs shut teams like that down, and I think that's what will probably happen to us. I just hope in the next few years we end up with players who can do the little things properly, to help win games when we're facing elite pitchers who simply do not give up homeruns. This is not a reactionary post because we lost 7 of 8 to Toronto, it's because i've been seeing us get absolutely shut down by these really good pitchers, because we can't scratch runs across without swinging as hard as possible

The offense in 2005 was horrible. I don't know why it gets the credit it gets. The only thing that offense was ever truly good at was giving the pitching an early lead. More often than not, it wasn't a very big lead. Now if damn near every guy on the pitching staff turned out a career year again, they'd be in good shape.

The Twins aren't consistently good because they scrape runs across. They're good because they can hold a lead. Same to be said for all the other good teams in baseball.

I'm pointing my finger at the bullpen here.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Sep 12, 2008 -> 03:02 PM)
You know what that sereis told me.

The Blue Jays are really good.

If not for an inept GM who finally fired the asshat manager and got a decent manager in there they would have been in the pennant race all season. They also lost another really good starting pitcher...the name escapes me. This team simply gave Reed Johnson and Frank Thomas away.

I think you have something here...at the start of the season I thought they were actually gonna make a push. That team on paper looks really good.