50 FAVORITE WHITE SOX PLAYERS

knightni

8. Ozzie Guillen

_40955216_guillen.jpg

(23 of 27 lists - 320 points - highest ranking #2 The Bones)

bio by The Bones -

What makes Ozzie Guillen one of my favorite White Sox players of all-time? He was never an exceptionally talented hitter. He never batted over .300 for the season. He did make 3 All-Star teams and win Rookie of the Year as well as one Gold Glove. However, none of that really matters much to me when it comes to Ozzie. The main reason he came to be so well liked by me, along with many others, was the way he played the game.

I was just a kid when Ozzie was with the Sox and he was the reason I always wanted to play shortstop in Little League. Ozzie had fun and played with passion and a love for the game. Today's sports stars too often get caught up in the business side of things and forget to have fun. Those that do have fun seem to only seek individual attention and acclaim but Ozzie played to win. He was a team player who wore his emotions on his sleeve.

Ozzie won't go down as the greatest to ever wear the Sox uniform but he will forever be a Chicago icon. Of course, now he is the manager of our beloved Sox and nothing has changed. Still the same Ozzie, still speaking his mind, and still playing to win. You can argue his talent as a manager and his abilities to handle a pitching staff all you want but Ozzie was the manager of the first White Sox World Series Championship in 88 years. For that alone, I believe he deserves to be here as long as he wants. This is what he loves to do and that is why we love him.

:headbang :notworthy

My favorite Ozzie moment from his playing days. I worked for a company headquartered in Milwaukee that leased many Lexus from Selig leasing. We would get tickets in their old press box converted to premium service seats. We also received "Bud's own tickets" *cough bull s**** first row next to the visitor's on deck circle. I was invited and did not mention I was a Sox fan until we were safely inside and I bought the second round of drinks.

Oz was having one of those days, and after hitting three ropes, all caught, he get's robbed on a shot up the middle. He is running to the dugout, pulls off his helmet, throws it as hard as he could as he yells f*** THIS MOTHERf***ING GAME! I forget who was on on deck, but he turned to the stands and said "his English is really gotten better!" :lolhitting

That was also the day I learned the best gambling game, mound ball for between innings fun.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 12, 2008 -> 10:40 PM)
That has to be one of the best Guillen stories ever. :lol:

I don't really remember if we won or lost, I just remember Oz must have stranded runners at every at bat. That last one almost took off the pitchers jock but there was a hit and run on, and with the infielder moving he was right there to rob Ozzie. I also wish I knew who the player was that said it, he cracked up the entire section. And yes, I have stolen that line when one of my friends who does not speak great English lets loose with a tirade of profanity.

The other thing I remember was telling my Ops Manager that there was no way those were Bud's personal seats. Why the hell would the owner have seats on the visitor side?