Texting and Driving

Texsox

http://cbs2.com/local/Metrolink.Engineer.Text.2.817045.html

CHATSWORTH, Calif. (CBS) ― Metrolink officials Saturday put the blame squarely on the engineer of the train for the deadly crash that has claimed at least 25 lives. They say he ran a red light.

But a group of local teens, train enthusiasts, who know the engineer well doubt that he was to blame.

They called their friend professional and caring and said he helped them learn about trains and being an engineer. To a man, they said he would "never" have been reckless or unprofessional or run a red light.

But one minute before the deadliest crash in Metrolink history, one teen -- Nick Williams -- said he received a text message on his cell phone from the engineer, whom the teens identified as Robert Sanchez.

ya know, i'd have to say we should wait and see. I mean, no doubt this guy shouldn't have been texting while on the job, but even the NSTB said not to rush and make wrong conclusions about the actual cause. Especially if they're just using the fact that someone recieved a text a minute before the crash. My texts, both recieved and sent, come and go at various times. It's not always instantaneous.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 10:16 AM)
ya know, i'd have to say we should wait and see. I mean, no doubt this guy shouldn't have been texting while on the job, but even the NSTB said not to rush and make wrong conclusions about the actual cause. Especially if they're just using the fact that someone recieved a text a minute before the crash. My texts, both recieved and sent, come and go at various times. It's not always instantaneous.

Excellent point. But even if that was sent 10 minutes before, it would appear he was still texting while operating the train. Yikes. How many more are doing that?

I see bus and cab drivers using cell phones and texting quite regularly as well as random drivers on the road. I wish there was some type of technology in vehicles that automatically disabled cell phones when the vehicles are moving.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 11:16 AM)
I see bus and cab drivers using cell phones and texting quite regularly as well as random drivers on the road. I wish there was some type of technology in vehicles that automatically disabled cell phones when the vehicles are moving.

So the passengers can't use their phones either? :unsure:

this is why you need to learn how to operate a phone and a vehicle at the same time

im always texting/day dreaming/playing with the radio, eating and or drinking while driving and ive never even come close to a f*** up..

Its not that hard

QUOTE (Shadows @ Sep 19, 2008 -> 02:05 AM)
this is why you need to learn how to operate a phone and a vehicle at the same time

im always texting/day dreaming/playing with the radio, eating and or drinking while driving and ive never even come close to a f*** up..

Its not that hard

He probably hadn't either