Revisited: Thornton as closer 09

Princess Dye

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 12:24 PM)
It's always hilarious to see such a big deal made out of Jenks loss of velocity when he has become a better pitcher in the process. He should be an untouchable.

I agree Jenks is a stud closer and we have nothing to worry about, but closers labeled as untouchable is a joke.

Speaking of relievers....what in the world are the Sox doing leaving any of their 40-man roster guys out of Chicago? I don't care about service time (a two week call up will hardly affect service time)...they need to win and they've got a great arm in Poreda sitting there. Unless you are 100% sure he isn't ready, I mean, he's got to be an improvement over Boone Logan. What about Egbert for the Broadway role?

This is All Hands On Deck time.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 10:36 AM)
Speaking of relievers....what in the world are the Sox doing leaving any of their 40-man roster guys out of Chicago? I don't care about service time (a two week call up will hardly affect service time)...they need to win and they've got a great arm in Poreda sitting there. Unless you are 100% sure he isn't ready, I mean, he's got to be an improvement over Boone Logan. What about Egbert for the Broadway role?

This is All Hands On Deck time.

Aaron Poreda is not on the 40 man as far as I can tell.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 02:18 PM)
Aaron Poreda is not on the 40 man as far as I can tell.

I checked the 40 man roster after I posted that - I was sure he was on the 40 man - and found that I was wrong.

If there was a slot on the 40 man, I'd put him on it and put him in the majors. Harrel, too.

Another note,

Why the hell would anyone want to get rid of one of, if not the best bullpen arms we have? Is our bullpen strong enough where you think losing Jenks is no biggie? The bullpen is the weakest link on our (and many other) team. Why the hell do you get rid of 1/3 of the guys who actually produce? Not to mention Jenks makes like $10/hr to pitch and is under team control for several years.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 12:41 PM)
Not when they are as dominant as anyone, under control for three more years, and likely aren't going to get what he's worth to our team.

Ok, so if someone offers you two highly-touted prospect position players or a starting pitcher and position player that can help your team, who cares Bobby's dominant?

Gag me, it's still only like 80 innings worth of ball. Closers are expendable.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 01:12 PM)
Ok, so if someone offers you two highly-touted prospect position players or a starting pitcher and position player that can help your team, who cares Bobby's dominant?

If we could get a Lincecum-type prospect for Bobby, you do it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 02:12 PM)

hahaha. Ask the mets, tigers, indians, cubs, etc how they're doing/did with no "closer". Do you not remember how many games the bullpen lost us last year? I sure do, and would never think of trading 1 of the 3 guys we have that actually get outs every once and a while.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 02:40 PM)
hahaha. Ask the mets, tigers, indians, cubs, etc how they're doing/did with no "closer". Do you not remember how many games the bullpen lost us last year? I sure do, and would never think of trading 1 of the 3 guys we have that actually get outs every once and a while.

The Cubs have the 2nd best record in baseball and the Mets are in first place.....

Jenks is basically a year by year proposition for me at this point.

We still control him for what another 3 seasons, arbitration wise.

I would maybe look at dealing him a year from FA, because there are still doubts over him for the long - term, but with all of the problems we've had with our bullpen over the past few seasons, he's been the 1 consistent.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 03:44 PM)
The Cubs have the 2nd best record in baseball and the Mets are in first place.....

Mets are beginning to wobble now though without Wagner.

I think Philly will catch em once again.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 02:44 PM)

How'd the Cubs do in the run where Wood was down? How good are the mets doing now with no Wagner? Hence the "Doing/did" part.

People say "Hey we can get 2 top prospects!!!!" Well great, we can have a stud starting 5 rotation, then hand the ball to Ryan Buckvich and Mike Mcdoofus for the 7-9. I'm sure that would work out well.

Edited by Jenksy Cat

You can say that a lot of teams have troubles with closers and thats fine, almost fathomable in fact. but, im under the impression that with every team with a s*** closer theres some guy like kevin gregg or george sherril who put together very good seasons with no precedent of closing it is a mental thing and very easy if your not an idiot. (Billy wagner is an idiot :lolhitting )

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 07:12 PM)

We should know better than anyone that a sure thing in the bullpen on a year to year basis is truly something precious. It would have to take an absolute king's ransom to get Jenks from us now, and that's how it should be. Going into his FA year, that might be a different story. But with him under control for three more years, there is absolutely no reason to even think about anything like this unless someone wants to set up our franchise for years to come.

QUOTE (TCQ @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 09:41 PM)
You can say that a lot of teams have troubles with closers and thats fine, almost fathomable in fact. but, im under the impression that with every team with a s*** closer theres some guy like kevin gregg or george sherril who put together very good seasons with no precedent of closing it is a mental thing and very easy if your not an idiot. (Billy wagner is an idiot :lolhitting )

Sherril of 5 ERA fame and 10 BLSVs in 45 chances and Gregg who has 15 BLSVs in 77 chances. This in comparison to Jenks who has 15 BLSVs in 130. Not exactly the best comparisons there. The drop off would probably cost us a playoff birth.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 12:17 PM)
Less opportunity to come back especially in the bottom of the 9th. If you give up three in the top of the 7th you still have 9 outs to come back, not so if you are walked off. I also tend ot beleive that hitters are more focused in the 9th if down by a run or two.

I'm not saying you should be using your best reliever when you're up three in the seventh. I'm saying you should use your best reliever in the toughest situations and when the game is truly up in the air. Who cares if its in the ninth or in the seventh? It's absolutely ridiculous when teams opt to save their best reliever for the 9th when the gave is in complete question in the seventh or eighth.