Quentin really doing some BP upcoming in KC?

Princess Dye

He is such a warrior and with all the injury problems he has had being out must be very hard on him, especially in a playoff race. He is gonna lie about the pain to the staff guaranteed to try to play. That is just the type of player he is. I hope we can somehow get him back for the last week to play Minny even if just to pinch-hit in a key situation. Or just stand at-bat and get walked.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Sep 14, 2008 -> 11:29 PM)
I hope we can somehow get him back for the last week to play Minny even if just to pinch-hit in a key situation. Or just stand at-bat and get walked.

That I dont know about, but it would be kind of cool if they could bring him up shockingly in a big moment when a team brings in their last lefty. Then they go right to RHP and we switch to Griff or Wise or something.

I was hoping they could do that tonight w/ PK and AJ in one situation.

Edited by Princess Dye

Farmer must be nuts. Sox have to hang in there without Q at least for the regular season and most likely all of the playoffs if they advance. I know we all hope Q is back for some portion of the playoffs but in the regular season seems a bit farfetched. I understand opportunities to play in playoff games are few and far between for some but the long term risk isn't worth it.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 14, 2008 -> 11:38 PM)
Farmer must be nuts. Sox have to hang in there without Q at least for the regular season and most likely all of the playoffs if they advance. I know we all hope Q is back for some portion of the playoffs but in the regular season seems a bit farfetched. I understand opportunities to play in playoff games are few and far between for some but the long term risk isn't worth it.

I agree the risk is too great. We have a potential franchise player here. There is no need to risk further injury upon him and his hand, and this swing mechanics at this point. We have plenty of power in Dye, Thome, Swish, Griffey, and Konerko when hes back next week. They just need to perform. In the end CQ and Farmer can say what they want but there is no way the Docs and Herm let CQ go out there if they dont 100% think hes good to go, thats the way this organization is and always has been.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Sep 14, 2008 -> 10:42 PM)
I agree the risk is too great. We have a potential franchise player here. There is no need to risk further injury upon him and his hand, and this swing mechanics at this point. We have plenty of power in Dye, Thome, Swish, Griffey, and Konerko when hes back next week. They just need to perform. In the end CQ and Farmer can say what they want but there is no way the Docs and Herm let CQ go out there if they dont 100% think hes good to go, thats the way this organization is and always has been.

I agree it's not smart to push it, but at the same time I wonder if this is really the kind of injury that can really worsen to something really really bad? I mean if it worsens then he just takes the offseason to heal completely.

Maybe in the playoffs we can just DH him against a lefty

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 14, 2008 -> 11:38 PM)

Q has already been taking flips for a few days with one arm.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 06:43 AM)
Q has already been taking flips for a few days with one arm.

Which, my guess, is as relevant as a guy who has ACL surgery hopping on the other leg the next day.

I'm sure he's doing it to keep his baseball muscles loose on his lead hand, but I'm not sure it has any relevance to his recovery.

QUOTE (shipps @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 07:27 AM)
He should not take any at bats this regular season.Heal up as well as you can for the playoff run when it really counts.

Yeah, but there is no guarantee we will be there still. 2 weeks left and a pesky Minnesota bunch. His presence in the lineup is something that could be big for opposing teams' pitching strategies and our team's mental state.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 07:46 AM)
Yeah, but there is no guarantee we will be there still. 2 weeks left and a pesky Minnesota bunch. His presence in the lineup is something that could be big for opposing teams' pitching strategies and our team's mental state.

Honestly, the way the Twins have been playing recently, if we can't beat em sans Carlos then it's not going to matter. If we're at our best, he's good enough to make us WS worthy, which is why I would wait til playoffs and see wehre he's at

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 07:34 AM)
Which, my guess, is as relevant as a guy who has ACL surgery hopping on the other leg the next day.

I'm sure he's doing it to keep his baseball muscles loose on his lead hand, but I'm not sure it has any relevance to his recovery.

Its relevant to his recovery becuase he doesn't need to spend a week or two figuring out how to hit a baseball again vs. him just sitting around for a month.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 01:06 PM)
how do you take BP (two-handed) with a screw in your wrist that's there to be a splint and keep the bone that was broken immobile? doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose? Or is he getting the screw removed?

the reason he could take BP is because he has the screw in the bone. The screw will stabilize the fracture and allow him to do more actvivity than if he was just casted and allowed it to heal. Remember this bone is the size of a popped popcorn kernal. If they feel it is stabile enough and a callus has built around it, they may let him play. The stability of the fracture is the issue which the screw partially solves.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 01:47 PM)
the reason he could take BP is because he has the screw in the bone. The screw will stabilize the fracture and allow him to do more actvivity than if he was just casted and allowed it to heal. Remember this bone is the size of a popped popcorn kernal. If they feel it is stabile enough and a callus has built around it, they may let him play. The stability of the fracture is the issue which the screw partially solves.

stick a needle in there, numb it and get out in the field!