Magic Number count

bighurt4life

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 09:52 PM)
As of the twins loss a couple minutes ago our magic number is at 11 right now. (mods feel free to correct this if I'm mistaken)

Even through all of our injuries we're still playing .500 ball and closing in on a playoff spot with the Twins fading down the stretch.

12 I believe.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 09:03 PM)
yes 12.

It is 11 to at least force a 1 game playoff (which would be in Chicago), but 12 to clinch.

Just to back up the last part of this statement:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/pre...sp&c_id=mlb

The site for a potential one-game tie-breaker to determine the A.L. Central Champion is as follows:

Opponents Site

MIN vs. CWS U.S. Cellular Field, Chicago

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 03:52 AM)
Do people really think we can't win even a single game up there with Liriano not pitching? That's sad if true. Even I have more faith in us than that.

I agree with you...if we can't take one game we shouldn't even be in the playoffs.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 10:08 PM)
I agree with you...if we can't take one game we shouldn't even be in the playoffs.

:notworthy :bringit

Last April every person here would have taken the prospect of needing two out of three in Minny to make the playoffs. One out of three would have had us whooping and hollering. :gosox3:

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 01:09 AM)
24 game winning streak would be pretty sweet

Except that's impossible. If the Sox win the next 12 games then that final game will not be played since it will hold no significance. A 23 game winning streak is the absolute best they can do. I'm very disappointed in you.

My dream scenario is we clinch in Minny and use the last series against Cleveland to rest our starting pitchers, sluggers, and the back of our pen.

Game 1 vs. CLE - start Broadway

Game 2 vs. CLE - start Richard

Game 3 vs. CLE - start Horacio

Lineups for all 3 games:

LF Owens

RF Wise

CF Anderson

1B Swisher

3B Fields

DH Hall for the first two, Griffey for the last one

SS Uribe

C Phillips

2B Bourgeois

Starters each go 5 no matter what. Who cares.

Russell gets the full 6th inning in each game.

MacDougal gets the full 7th inning in each game.

Wassermann gets the 8th inning in the first two games.

Logan gets the 9th inning in each of the first two games.

Carrasco gets a nice rest and gets the 8th of the final game.

Linebrink gets the 9th of the final game.

Everyone else rests the whole series. We'd probably lose the series by a combined score of 72-6, with Logan alone responsible for at least 35 of them, but we NEED to find out which of our weakest links is the strongest at the moment in order to fill out the playoff roster.

IMO, Russell and MacDougal would be the tallest midgets so far with Wassermann a strong possibility and Horriblio Ramirez a darkhorse because Ozzie doesn't like rookies such as Richard, especially when they f***ing suck. Carrasco, Jenks, Linebrink, Thornton, Dotel, and Jenks are the 6 locks. We need two more, and it would be nice to have another lefty not named Ramirez, Logan, or Richard, but alas that cannot be the case and it might be better taking another bad righty over one of those guys.

For the bench, assuming 12 pitchers go and Paulie is back but Quentin is not, I'd say we're looking at Swish and Griffey both in the OF leaving a bench of: Hall, Anderson, Wise, Bourgeois (we need an IF). If Quentin is back then one of Anderson/Wise goes with Mr. Team KKKKemistry taking over center and pushing Griffey to the bench.

QUOTE (shipps @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 10:33 AM)
There is something soooooooooo wrong about having a magic number when your just a day away of being tied.

There is no god damn magic number in my book.

PLAYOFFS?!!!

AMEN!

Magic Numbers are bad luck anyway. They affect the team's psyche.