Crede Likely done in Chicago

bighurt4life

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 01:26 PM)
Sounds like speculation gone wild to me.

Sounds like the Angels would be risking a lot of that were true. They'd be nuts to negotiate with another team's player... the risk of doing so is much greater than the reward (Crede).

Also, that's so unlike Boras it's unbelievable. He'd never make a deal without playing team after team off one another to squeeze every penny out of whatever franchise unwisely gives Crede multi-year money.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 09:43 PM)
Except we really didn't have that chance. The one team that was interested, really didn't want to give up much for him.

That was after the '07 season. he had plenty of value and I'm sure there were more than a few interested parties following his career year in '06.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 06:46 PM)
That was after the '07 season. he had plenty of value and I'm sure there were more than a few interested parties following his career year in '06.

Considering his back went out for basically the 2nd time at the start of September 2006 and the Sox advised him to have the surgery in October, 2006 (advise he didn't take, which I'll note, probably plays in to the fact that he hasn't recovered yet)...I really doubt anyone was going to give you anything of solid value for Crede at that point. Of course, that does assume some basic level of intelligence for the GM's in this game.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 11:16 PM)
In the 46 games since Uribe took over for Crede at 3B Juan is hitting .312/.355/.504/.859. That's in 141 ABs.

Yes, the man that so many were pissed that we kept when we jettisoned Ozuna, has really stepped up.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 08:14 AM)
Yes, the man that so many were pissed that we kept when we jettisoned Ozuna, has really stepped up.

How anyone would want Ozuna over Uribe still baffles me. Even if Uribe wasn't scorching hot hitting, his D is so much better than Ozuna's its crazy.

If Uribe could hit like this for the next couple of seasons, I'd love him at 3rd.

I just don't think he can sustain it for a long period of time though.

Beltre or Atkins would be a decent option IMHO, if the price was right.

Figgins also, especially if the Angels went after Crede.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 01:59 PM)
If Uribe could hit like this for the next couple of seasons, I'd love him at 3rd.

I just don't think he can sustain it for a long period of time though.

Beltre or Atkins would be a decent option IMHO, if the price was right.

Figgins also, especially if the Angels went after Crede.

I truly believe Crede will play for the dodgers next year not the angels. call it a hunch, but lets see what happens.

QUOTE (quickman @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 03:24 PM)
I truly believe Crede will play for the dodgers next year not the angels. call it a hunch, but lets see what happens.

You could well be right, considering they traded LaRoche.

Casey Blake could be on the SouthSide next season as well also.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 02:25 PM)
You could well be right, considering they traded LaRoche.

Casey Blake could be on the SouthSide next season as well also.

completely agree, Blake will come and play here next year with some kind of two year deal. Quite frankly I think its a good fit and nice stop gap, until Beckham is ready, and yes I think Beckham may play third if he can fill out. Again all hunches.

So apparently Casey Blake has taken over for David Dellucci as a Soxtalk favorite.

Uribe seems to play pretty poorly when things are just given to him. Because of the hole at third I would offer him arbitration (type B) but not attempt to sign him to any single year deals worth more than $4 million.

I would like to see us go after Chone, Beltre, or a package of Mora(wouldn't really want him) + Roberts. Providing they produce with the White Sox, they should all be type A free agents after 2009 so I'm not too worried what we would have to give up in young players.

Realistically at this point a multi year deal is out of the question for Joe Crede. At this point is a major league deal even a possibility? I am guessing at best he gets a large bonus based on something like ABs or games played instead of much money up front. I could see him getting like a million dollar deal with backloaded incentives to push it towards 6-8 million dollars. The question is, if that is what is on the table, should the Sox offer this to Crede?

Definitely not. We can't afford to take another risk with Crede. Thome is getting up there in age, we're still not 100% sure if Konerko will be the "good" or "slider speed bat" Konerko in 2009...Contreras is on the shelf, Dye and AJ are getting older with every minute. I just don't see how we can add more uncertainty to the organization than already exists.

We also should have traded Konerko when his value was higher. Buerhle as well. Dye has probably seen his best seasons, so he should have been traded, Do we think AJ's value will somehow get higher? He's getting up in age as well.

What we want is a team full of guys who are approaching their high value mark, then trade as soon as they reach it for guys who will be approaching their high value mark. I'm not certain if we would ever win, but it would be entertaining.

But wait, isn't this what K-Dubya tries to do with the minor league system?

:lolhitting

QUOTE (Texsox @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 08:41 AM)
What we want is a team full of guys who are approaching their high value mark, then trade as soon as they reach it for guys who will be approaching their high value mark. I'm not certain if we would ever win, but it would be entertaining.

Trade people as soon as they become good.

Sounds like the 1990s Blackhawks.

You'll have to pardon my lack of enthusiasm for that approach.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 09:05 AM)
Trade people as soon as they become good.

Sounds like the 1990s Blackhawks.

You'll have to pardon my lack of enthusiasm for that approach.

Mine to. Imagine how many times that Braves dynasty would have broken up.

Eventually you have to play the guys you got and try to win something. And by playing, trying to keep a core together for more than just until they have high trade value. That high trade value moment is also the moment when you can win something.

QUOTE (quickman @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 03:41 PM)
completely agree, Blake will come and play here next year with some kind of two year deal. Quite frankly I think its a good fit and nice stop gap, until Beckham is ready, and yes I think Beckham may play third if he can fill out. Again all hunches.

Ironically, Blake has missed some time recently with back issues.