Crede Likely done in Chicago

bighurt4life

QUOTE (Texsox @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 10:09 AM)
Mine to. Imagine how many times that Braves dynasty would have broken up.

Eventually you have to play the guys you got and try to win something. And by playing, trying to keep a core together for more than just until they have high trade value. That high trade value moment is also the moment when you can win something.

Other than the starting pitching, wasnt the Braves dynasty consistently broken up and rebuilt? The only constant in the offense seems to be Chipper

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 10:12 AM)
Other than the starting pitching, wasnt the Braves dynasty consistently broken up and rebuilt? The only constant in the offense seems to be Chipper

In the last few years maybe, but their 1990s teams had a pretty consistent core that played from cradle to near grave.

Edited by scenario

Saying 'other than the starting pitching' is like saying other than the Hall of Famers, wasn't the Yankees dynasty consistently broken up and rebuilt.

Even if that was totally accurate, wasn't it the starting pitching that had the "most value"? The pitching would have been "broken up" to fill holes in other positions. Also, almost no one gets resigned because it will cost too much and the money is needed for other positions.

And I'm not against trading players when you have an abundance in a position and can fill a serious hole, but the whole trading for trading sake because a player is hitting his prime, is too far sighted and never tries to win today.

I think Konerko and Thome are mainstays of the team. I would hope they would be back. Keep in mind that a blend of veterans and newbies is what builds a winning ballclub in most cases. I love Joe Crede and would hope that another off season of rehabbing and strengthing his back would be good, but I am pretty much resigned to the fact her is gone and we may see a free agent or a trade being made. I know the Sox love Chone Figgns for whatever reason, but why would the Angels give him up if he's that good?

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 10:26 AM)
In the last few years maybe, but their 1990s teams had a pretty consistent core that played from cradle to near grave.

Andruw and Chipper Jones were probably the two biggest constants over their pennant runs...Javier Lopez was probably #3.

But it all started with the timely acquisitions of Sid Bream and Terry Pendleton to shore up the infield defense and provide veteran leadership to go with that young pitching staff of Glavine, Smoltz and Steve Avery (before he was hurt)...

By the way, thanks for reminding me of that scene with Gabrielle Union "stripping" in that good 'ol predictable Jet Li/DMX movie.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 06:27 AM)
Realistically at this point a multi year deal is out of the question for Joe Crede. At this point is a major league deal even a possibility? I am guessing at best he gets a large bonus based on something like ABs or games played instead of much money up front. I could see him getting like a million dollar deal with backloaded incentives to push it towards 6-8 million dollars. The question is, if that is what is on the table, should the Sox offer this to Crede?

Well yes they should, but here's the biggest issue...Crede's side won't accept. The big thing we run in to is the arbitration deadline. With Crede's back as is, the Sox are simply in no position to offer him arbitration. If the Sox choose to not offer him arbitration, then the Sox will only be able to negotiate with Joe until early December. Unless someone offers Joe solid guaranteed major league money, he's not going to sign with anyone until close to spring training where teams can gather as much information about his back and his rehab as possible. The Sox will be forbidden from signing Joe between early December and early April. Clearly they have to offer him a deal like that, but there's no way it works out.