Josh Fields to have surgery at season's end.

justBLAZE

NEW YORK -- The White Sox find themselves in search of a big finish to what has been a tremendous year-long effort atop the American League Central.

For Josh Fields, on a purely individual basis, the 2008 campaign can't end quickly enough.

From being sent to Triple-A Charlotte out of Spring Training -- after hitting 23 home runs and driving in 67 for the White Sox in 2007 -- to dealing with a bad right knee for much of this season, this current run has played out quite a bit differently than Fields expected when arriving in Tucson, Ariz., back in February.

"Oh, no doubt," said Fields, sitting at his locker in the visitors' clubhouse at Yankee Stadium. "It would have been a lot better if when [Joe] Crede unfortunately did go down, I would have been at full strength and playing good -- kind of like when he went down last year. I could have felt more like a part of the team and helped the team out.

"It just wasn't in the plans this season," Fields added.

A major part of Fields' 2008 struggles dealt with right knee pain, exacerbated by a couple of early-season collisions in the field while playing for Charlotte. He was on the International League disabled list from May 5-12 and from June 16 to July 4.

That problem should be taken care of as soon as the season comes to a close, with Fields scheduled to undergo knee surgery.

"I'm excited to finally know what's going on and get it taken care of," said Fields of the arthroscopic surgery. "I don't know how to explain it because I don't totally understand what the doctors have told me, but they understand what they need to do.

"They can go in take care of it really easily. The recovery is not supposed to be hard at all."

Fields, 25, entered Tuesday's contest hitting .161 over 31 at-bats with the White Sox. His defense was deemed inconsistent enough at third base by manager Ozzie Guillen and his staff that Fields was replaced by Juan Uribe as the everyday player after Crede went down with back problems.

Without making any excuses, Fields' overall play was hampered by the knee issue. The correction will make his approach to 2009 much stronger physically, and Fields hopes the mental strength will follow.

"Yeah, I don't want to make an excuse, because pretty much everyone is playing hurt," Fields said. "But it has been a physically and mentally tough season. Mentally, the whole season has taken a big toll on me."

www.whitesox.com

in all honesty, and I can't believe I am saying this, I think Uribe deserves a considerable chance at being our third baseman next year. He has played great defense and has hit like .300 while being our 3B. Two things I question that Josh could do. We know Uribe has the ability to hit around 20 HR and 70 RBI.

I like Fields and thought he should have been our guy going into next year but sometimes you have to look at what is right in front of you. There should be some competition next year in spring. At the very least it seems Uribe can be a hell of a bench player.

I hoping Josh can bounce back as well. I haven't given up on him.

Uribe has definitely played himself into the pole position, though. Never thought I would say this, but we gotta keep Juan around.

Edited by Ron

It was clear he wasn't all there in the limited AB's this year, and I hope he comes back healed. You don't just trip and fall on 23 home runs in a shortened (rookie) season. It would be great to go into the offseason feeling certain about the infield- with Fields healthy you could simply slide Juan over one bag and place Ramirez back in his natural habitat. As it stands now I guess you could still roll the dice on that scenario, but with the surprising season the Sox are having I think Dubs is at the least looking for a backup plan should that blow up in his face.

On the other hand, Fields didn't exactly take the batting crown and we currently have a 25-30 HR guy in the lineup hitting .220 or so. Probably a fluke (Nicholas' season), but to have two guys like that in the regular lineup...?

I want nothing to do with Uribe being handed a job out of ST. I want nothing to do with him being the opening day starter at any position in the infield going into ST next season. I would love to have him back in a utility role next season, but it'd be nice if he were a security blanket rather than just a guy they count on to play a lot of games. If he is resigned and has under 200 PAs, it'd be a good year for Sox infielders.

I've also said before that I don't think Fields is in the organization next year. Perhaps they'll give him a chance to get healthy, but I think whatever value he has will be used by Williams to get someone he wants.

While Uribe has filled in nicely and has been a nice surprise in taking over the 3B position I definitely dont want him to be starting for us in any position next season. Fields has seemingly been hurt whole season so its hard to judge him, but many people seemingly think he isnt going to hack it. Im on the Beltre train :headbang

I'd be upset if we didn't give him a reasonable offer with a chance to be an everyday player. If someone comes along and gives him Ft. Knox, then we did all we could do. If the offers flying in at him are anywhere in the ballpark of what we'd be willing to pay, you sign him. He's done enough over the years to justify this. Also, if you do decide to let him go, it sure as hell better be AFTER you find a replacement. I seem to recall a situation that involved getting rid of Garland for a SS weeks after we had signed one... Last offseason's CF situation also relates to this. Plans A and B failed because we weren't willing to pay up. I'm not saying this didn't work out because I'm fond of our OF situation, but I think we got lucky. It certainly could have been worse, or even better, Jerry Owens might have plagued our lineup all year. Close call, learn from the mistake.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 12:31 AM)
While Uribe has filled in nicely and has been a nice surprise in taking over the 3B position I definitely dont want him to be starting for us in any position next season. Fields has seemingly been hurt whole season so its hard to judge him, but many people seemingly think he isnt going to hack it. Im on the Beltre train :headbang

Have I ever told you how smart you are? lol

Seriously though, I just think Beltre is the perfect choice for the Sox; there's no long-term committment, you should get compensation at the end of the season, he doesn't cost an arm and a leg monetarily (though he's not cheap by any stretch of the imagination either), he shouldn't cost an arm and a leg to trade for though he won't be stolen either, and he's a very underrated player - I don't think .270 30 .825 is seriously out of the question for him, and he plays fantastic defense at 3B too, which is incredibly important. As far as I'm aware, there are no serious injury concerns (though he is having surgery for a torn ligament on his hand...he wanted to play through it so it obviously wasn't effecting him a terrible amount).

Beltre just seems too perfect. I also don't want to look too far ahead either because there's still plenty of season left to be played.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 08:14 AM)
To be fair, the jury is still out on two of those three kids.

Absolutely true. But ... I like guys that have grown up playing the game of baseball. The most valuable tool a player can have is the one between his ears.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 09:40 AM)
FWIW Joe Cowley has said on several occasions that the Sox will pursue Chone Figgins in a trade this offseason to play 3B for next year's team. It looks like there's just no confidence in Josh at this point.

That would kill two birds with one Chone for sure.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 04:19 PM)
I don't know what effect his knee injury had on swinging and missing, something he did with even more regularity this year.

He has no balance at the plate, and if he has a balky knee, that could contribute to the lack of strength in his swing. It's a really tough call for the organization, as I don't think anyone knows what type of player he'll be.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 10:28 AM)
Trade Josh Fields. Those knee injujries can really haunt you later just like back surgeries. I think Uribe should get first crack at 3B as long as we sign him to a deal.

Who is going to trade for a guy that put up the numbers that he did this year AFTER he has knee surgery?