Gavin Floyd you are da man

greg775

Since there's always a lot of b****ing on here after we lose, including from me, I thought this was a nice tribute to post about Gavin.

Written by Howie Rumberg, Associated Press Sports Writer

New York — Gavin Floyd refused to give in to Jason Giambi as the Yankees’ slugger fouled off pitch after pitch with the bases loaded in the fifth inning. Eighth pitch, ninth pitch, 10th, Floyd kept thinking to himself, “I’m going to get him.”

And he did. Floyd struck out Giambi on the 12th pitch of the at-bat, the highlight of a gritty seven-inning performance that helped the AL Central-leading White Sox beat New York 6-2 Tuesday night.

“I think that’s when this kid started to become a man,” White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said of his 25-year-old ace in the making. “Every time we are bleeding this guy gives us a chance to win the game.”

Hope Gavin had a Bud or MGD after the game to celebrate a nice job.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (rangercal @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 10:52 PM)
I realize he would probably be about the 10th pick or so amongst popularity with our fan base. However, he is one of our top 3 franchise players. I said it.

So what 2 of Jenks, Quentin, Ramirez and Danks are you putting Floyd ahead of?

That's a good problem to have. All those guys are studs. Without Danks and Floyd's excellence this year we'd really be hosed as evidenced by the fact we have to trot Clayton out there again.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 11:59 PM)

Q,Danks,Floyd,Jenks,ramirez would be my order. That's just how much I value starting pitching.

I think tiers would be better to look at our young franchise players.

Tier 1 : Q

Tier 2: danks

Tier 3: Floyd,Jenks,Ramirez

It would be nice to see Swisher and Fields jump into tier 3 next year. I think they both may have just had off years.

Edited by rangercal

Gavin my goodness! I tip my hat to the staff for believing in Gavin, because I didn't when they traded Garland.

What a performance!! :headbang :headbang

As important as he has been on our staff Danks can't be left unmentioned. He should have a good 15+ wins as well.

If our bullpen could just hold a lead...

I was at that second game of the Minnesota double-header slaughter a year or so ago when Gavin Floyd got absolutely lit up. I think Morneau alone had something like 2 home runs, a rocket double, and about 6 RBIs. At most times that season (except for I think one start against Detroit), he looked absolutely scared s***less out on the mound.

His total and complete transformation, along with the emergence of Alexei and CQ, has been an unexpected joy to watch this year. I can't believe this is that same guy.

Here's to Gavin, Coop, Kenny, and Ozzie. :cheers

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 08:59 PM)

Danks is younger, Floyd has better stuff. If I'd rate all for of those guys it would be Quentin, Floyd, Danks, Jenks & Ramirez. Thats the order. I do that because I feel closers are a bit over-rated. That said its nice to have quite a few young parts like that.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 12:42 AM)
Danks is younger, Floyd has better stuff. If I'd rate all for of those guys it would be Quentin, Floyd, Danks, Jenks & Ramirez.

what's crazy is from that core group of players, only Jenks was in the picture at the end of 06.

And it really only cost us

Bmac

Freddy Garcia

and

Chris Carter

Who needs a Farm system when you have Kenny Williams? :lolhitting

QUOTE (rangercal @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 10:54 PM)
what's crazy is from that core group of players, only Jenks was in the picture at the end of 06.

And it really only cost us

Bmac

Freddy Garcia

and

Chris Carter

Who needs a Farm system when you have Kenny Williams? :lolhitting

Brandon Mcarthy landed us Danks and Griffey :) I love it

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 11:42 PM)
I do that because I feel closers are a bit over-rated. That said its nice to have quite a few young parts like that.

Until they blow a lead in the 9th inning. Would you rather have Dotel closing? Obviously the core that everybody's mentioned is intregal...but I'm not sure I could put them in any order...they're all a HUGE part of the future. Like you said though...it's very nice having some young studs for the future.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 10:13 PM)
Q,Danks,Floyd,Jenks,ramirez would be my order. That's just how much I value starting pitching.

I think tiers would be better to look at our young franchise players.

Tier 1 : Q

Tier 2: danks

Tier 3: Floyd,Jenks,Ramirez

It would be nice to see Swisher and Fields jump into tier 3 next year. I think they both may have just had off years.

I already think Swisher is in tier 3 even considering his poor season. He's hitting .220 and is just barely below a league average player pretty much all across the board. If he hits .240, he's an above average player and is most likely playing CF. Even if he's mediocre defensively, give or take a step on that scale, he's very valuable to the club. It's when he becomes a 1Bman that he loses that value, but that versatility is also nice. I think if he had a good season he would jump into tier 2, though everyone in tier 3 has the same ability to do so.

Point being this is a very nice group of players the Sox have going forward, even though they are an "old" team.

The thing that should help him is the cooling of the weather. He's a flyball pitcher and hopefully the cooler weather will help keep somemore in the yard. Trust me, I'm not complaining about him at all, it seems whenever this team needed someone to stepup in the rotation he is the one who has done it.

Real Men of Genius

Here's to you Mr Getting-Pitchers-nobody-else-wants-when-they-are-out-of-options-Guy.

But Matt Thorton sucks!!

When there is a stud pitcher to be found, and no one else can see them, you find them. The fact that they are out of options only helps you steal them from another team

Gavin Floyd couldn't get out my little league team!

So here's to you Mr Getting-Pitchers-nobody-else-wants-when-they-are-out-of-options-Guy.

Here comes 5th place

I think that we are just scratching the surface with Floyd. I would imagine that sometime, probably next spring. They will start to work a cutter into the mix. The minute they do that, he can start to offset the lefties more. Thats when he will truly take off.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 10:29 PM)
Until they blow a lead in the 9th inning. Would you rather have Dotel closing? Obviously the core that everybody's mentioned is intregal...but I'm not sure I could put them in any order...they're all a HUGE part of the future. Like you said though...it's very nice having some young studs for the future.

I never said anything about Dotel. However, I'm a believer of stock-piling young power arms for the pen and keep them for a good while (you get them cheap for a nice window) and than as they get closer to free agency deal them off for more power arms. If you can consistently do that and develop just some of the arms you acquire you should consistently have a strong bullpen (one that would have a nice mix of vet's/youth).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 11:16 PM)
I already think Swisher is in tier 3 even considering his poor season. He's hitting .220 and is just barely below a league average player pretty much all across the board. If he hits .240, he's an above average player and is most likely playing CF. Even if he's mediocre defensively, give or take a step on that scale, he's very valuable to the club. It's when he becomes a 1Bman that he loses that value, but that versatility is also nice. I think if he had a good season he would jump into tier 2, though everyone in tier 3 has the same ability to do so.

Point being this is a very nice group of players the Sox have going forward, even though they are an "old" team.

I don't give a s*** what the OPS+ or stats say. No one that hits .240 is an above average player, unless of course they hit about 50+ hr's.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 03:59 AM)

Maybe he meant the top (13)? :) Gavin has done a real good job as well as Danks. We have the pitchers if they would just be consistently as good as we think they can be

Edited by elrockinMT

I agree with chisoxfan. I don't get the love for Swisher. I've been holding hope that he might at some point carry us whether down the stretch or hopefully if we make the postseason. Because of his personality I don't hate him, but he's not been a good acquisition yet.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 03:31 PM)
Maybe he meant the top (13)? :) Gavin has done a real good job as well as Danks. We have the pitchers if they would just be consistently as good as we think they can be

umm no. I think a a 25 year old 16-7 sp, with a sub 4 era would be at or close to the top of any organizations top 3 franchise players.