Rotation rest of the way

IlliniKrush

Richard as today's starter instead of Broadway.

Vazquez will indeed go on short rest and start Thursday.

What's really interesting is that Buehrle will then go Friday on short rest, and Floyd on Saturday on short rest. This is to get them setup to pitch in the Metrodome, on normal rest.

This pushes Danks' start back to Sunday, a full week after his last start. It is also reported that he will be available today out of the bullpen.

So if I have it right, it should look like this the rest of the way. For now let's just assume the last 3 games will matter and that we won't be throwing a 5th starter in there.

*Indicates only 3 days rest

9/17 @ NY Richard

9/18 @ NY Vazquez*

9/19 @ KC Buehrle*

9/20 @ KC Floyd*

9/21 @ KC Danks

9/23 @ Min Vazquez

9/24 @ Min Buehrle

9/25 @ Min Floyd

9/26 Cle Danks

9/27 Cle Vazquez*

9/28 Cle Buehrle*

9/29 Det Floyd*

QUOTE (Ron @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 11:49 PM)
Richard? Ugh...

I'd really like to see Broadway get a shot against a non-Royals team. I really doubt Richard is that much better than him right now.

I wouldn't. The Royals have virtually no power throughout that entire lineup; that's the perfect team for Broadway to face. If you put him against the Yankees, I imagine he would remind a lot of people of Felix Diaz (that is, he could very easily give up 4 homers in less than 4 innings). Though I haven't seen him, Richard apparently has the ability to get major league hitters out now and then. That's who I want starting against New York.

Broadway reminds me so much of an NL pitcher. I wouldn't be surprised if he's either packaged or just dealt to an NL team this offseason, perhaps either Washington or San Francisco.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 09:54 PM)
I'm surprised more people werent impressed with Richard in his starts.

Broadway's propensity for the longball we dont need right now.

Also NYY has great LH hitting up and down that lineup.

I was impressed with Richard, not so much with his stuff but with his poise and command . Its possible he can go 5 innings and give up 3 runs or less. The Yanks aren't impressive against lefties. Richard is the right choice.

Preferably I dont care for either very much, although think Richard would be great in a bullpen role. But as far as matchups go and who gives us the better chance to win, you have to give the ball to Richard over Broadway. My hope is we go on a surge and twins keep sinking that we dont even have to shorten the rotation for the end of the season. Keeping our starters fresh for the post-season.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 12:35 AM)
Preferably I dont care for either very much, although think Richard would be great in a bullpen role. But as far as matchups go and who gives us the better chance to win, you have to give the ball to Richard over Broadway. My hope is we go on a surge and twins keep sinking that we dont even have to shorten the rotation for the end of the season. Keeping our starters fresh for the post-season.

I think we could easily see Richard in the pen next year. Gage has mentioned before that he thinks Richard could have a huge impact out of the bullpen and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if that happened next season.

a question that is equally relevant IMO is who is our other lefty out of the pen? it seems as if thornton will be the 8th inning guy regardless of matchups now...but what happens if a starter is at 100 pitches through 5.2 innings, we are up 4-3 with runners on and mauer and morneau are due up.....i sure don't want to see boone logan and horacio ramirez has been dreadful ....i suppose richard heads to the pen after todays start for the rest of the year, but hes not who i want to see out there either...im a bit disappointed we didnt at least get a look at poreda out of the pen this september, even if it was just in blowouts...at least see if the kid can help

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 05:59 AM)
ESPN has Broadway Wednesday.

That's what I thought but apparently the Sox think Richard, a lefty, can neutralize the Yankmees lefty line up. Well, now, he is rookie that hasn't neutralized much this year, but let's give him our best for tonight.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 02:07 PM)
The Twins losing that game yesterday was HUGE, especially with Lee starting for the Twins today. I know the Sox pen has been bad lately, but that Twins bullpen has been a disaster, especially on the road.

do you mean Lee starting for the Tribe versus the Twinks?