50 FAVORITE WHITE SOX PLAYERS

knightni

3. Robin Ventura

VenturaRobin1.jpg

(23 of 27 lists - 479 points - highest ranking #1 ChWRoCk2, BurlyMan56, southsider2k5, Soxy, knightni)

bio by Soxy -

Robin Ventura's major league baseball career spanned 16 seasons (10 for the White Sox). Before playing for the White Sox, Ventura had an impressive amateur career. He was a 3-time All-American for Oklahoma State University. In his freshman year at OSU, Ventura lead the nation in runs, RBIs and total bases. Ventura was also a inducted (with the first class) into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2006. While at OSU, Ventura also had a record breaking 58 game hitting streak. Ventura also earned a gold medal in baseball with the rest of the American team in the 1988 Olympics.

Ventura was drafted 10th in 1988 by the White Sox. He joined the Sox in September of 1989 after beginning the season in Birmingham. Ventura's first full season (1990) with the White Sox was not a stellar one (he collected 25 errors and, at one point, went 0 for 41). Despite his unevenness at the plate, Ventura collected 123 hits that season--the highest number for a rookie since the 1985 (Ozzie Guillen).

In 1991, Ventura collected his first of six Golden Glove awards (third only to Mike Schmidt and Brooks Robinson). Ventura is widely considered to be one of the best defensive third basemen (Bill James named him the best 3rd baseman of the 1990s). Ventura had a career fielding percentage of .958 and a lifetime batting average of .267.

Ventura was a crowd favorite of the Sox--due to his consistent fielding, above average offensive and good looks.

If not for his defense, offense or good looks--many people remember Robin for charging Nolan Ryan on the mound in 1993.

One of the few vivid memories I have of attending games at Sox Park as a kid, is of watching Robin Ventura play. He is probably the first Sox player whose name I knew, and knew enough to watch him intently as he played. I always enjoyed watching him--and he was cute.

My first Robin Ventura memory was tuning into the College World Series when Stanford and Oaklahoma State played each other. I watched because I wanted to see recent Sox first round pick Jack McDowell pitch. That day he and a reliever ended Robin's record 58 game hitting streak. I remember watching it thinking how nice it would be to get ahold of him, especially because at the time we were running a s***ty converted left fielder by the name of Williams out at 3B.

My favorite two Robin memories were the walk-off homer against Goose Gossage, and the walk off grand slam single in the World Series for the Mets. It took me a really long time to forgive the White Sox for low-balling Robin out of Chicago. I didn't go to games for a couple of seasons after that.

I'm trying to find the monster month that Ventura had. He batted somewhere around .500 with 15 home runs, or something sick like that. I remember the last day of the month he hit one out in his lst at bat. Possible a walk off.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 11:59 AM)
My first Robin Ventura memory was tuning into the College World Series when Stanford and Oaklahoma State played each other. I watched because I wanted to see recent Sox first round pick Jack McDowell pitch. That day he and a reliever ended Robin's record 58 game hitting streak. I remember watching it thinking how nice it would be to get ahold of him, especially because at the time we were running a s***ty converted left fielder by the name of Williams out at 3B.

My favorite two Robin memories were the walk-off homer against Goose Gossage, and the walk off grand slam single in the World Series for the Mets. It took me a really long time to forgive the White Sox for low-balling Robin out of Chicago. I didn't go to games for a couple of seasons after that.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 12:04 PM)
I'm trying to find the monster month that Ventura had. He batted somewhere around .500 with 15 home runs, or something sick like that. I remember the last day of the month he hit one out in his lst at bat. Possible a walk off.

July of 1991: 12 HR, .357/.431/.739/1.170. It was by far the best month he ever had and the only time in his career that he tallied double digit HR in a single month. On July 31st 1991 he went 4-6 w/ 2 HR and 5 RBI, a solo shot off Kevin Brown and a walkoff Granny off Goose Gossage.

Tied with Frank as my favorite. I began casually following baseball as a kid around the time he joined the team. His rise played a major part in me being a fan of the Sox and the game itself.

Like southsider, I was very bitter at Reinsdorf when Robin was pushed out. He deserved so much better.

Edited by Ron

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 01:37 PM)
All three are VERY different situations.

They are. What they have in common is a team and a player parting ways. I stopped trying to assign blame in what is really a private process.

:notworthy :D :D :D

I'm glad he's so high on the list. Many memories of Robin. A walk-off granny against Texas - and Frank lifting him on his shoulders.

-2 grannys in 1 game.

- getting the chance to meet him at one Soxfest.

One of most humble players to play the game. It's too bad that ankle injury had to force him to retire early. Hopefully, he can join Farmer in the booth next year.