50 FAVORITE WHITE SOX PLAYERS

knightni

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 03:03 PM)
whoever left Hurt off this list doesn't deserve to be a Sox fan.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 03:09 PM)
Maybe it was KW?

:lolhitting

I had him in my top 10. I can also see a fan who prefers players more like Buerhle. More outgoing, less shy, less brooding.

Having been a Sox fan for 44 years now, i've seen a lot of Sox players come and go.............

Most i've forgotten about, some i'll never forget......

#35, Frank Thomas, A.K.A. The Big Hurt, will forever be in the latter category for me.........

And i'm just a Dirty White Boy....... ;)

Frank is definitely what made me a Sox fan in a family full of Cubs fans, and for that I'll be forever grateful. I picked up a couple of old posters of him from a local collectible shop this summer, they are great. One's wide profile with the night skyline of Chi-town on the modem, and franks mug shot and a picture of him hitting in the black ski with the Sox logo in the upper right sorrounded by "No Pain, No Gain."

But the better poster is a traditional tall boy poster, with the background just a view of planet Earth surrounded by space... then there's Frank Thomas the length of the poster hitting an asteroid like it was a fastball. Text? Small and to the right: Big Bang Theory.

I've now prescribed to the theory that Frank Thomas created the Universe by waiting for his pitch and hitting that FASTEST ball. Big Bang Theory. Get on board, before there was anything, there was Frank.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 12:39 PM)
First pitch: Ball One.

Why? Because Frank Thomas didn't swing at it.

The umpire knows that if Frank doesn't swing, it has to be a ball.

Second pitch: A screaming foul ball!

A souvenir that everyone, yet no one really wants.

Is a broken hand worth a baseball hit by Thomas? Ummm...yep.

Third pitch: In the left field bleachers, 400 feet away. Tie Game.

This part of the write-up is AWESOME :headbang

Frank Thomas did in fact make me a fan as well. I moved here to Chicago when I was 5 (1991) and grew up here. My best friend came over one day when I was about 8 (when I was just warming up to being a Chicago sports fan) and we played an RBI baseball game on the Genesis. He was showing me the roster of the White Sox and he said, "THIS is Frank Thomas. Put him in your lineup for SURE." I said, "Is he good?" My friend looked at me and said, "Yeah, he's REAL good." I then played with him and saw this sprite of a behemoth man and I hit a home run with him in the first at-bat he came up to the plate.

From that moment on, I loved Frank Thomas and the Chicago White Sox.

Just check my screen name and that tells you all you need to know. Frank Thomas is the reason I became a baseball fan and the reason I became a White Sox fan. I used to spend hours pouring over the stats in the sports section as a kid to see how Frank had done the night before (this was before this internet). I lived for that morning sports section and I don't think that there will ever be another athlete that I idolized the way I did Frank. He wasn't even a human to me, more of a demi-god, I saw him through eyes of pure wonder an amazement, the way that only a sports-obsessed little kid can and that's why I'll be a Sox fan for the rest of my life.