Royals series rotation

fathom

QUOTE (Texsox @ Sep 19, 2008 -> 04:18 AM)
I don't care. Trot out any of our starters in any order and I think they will do fine, it is the rest of the club that leaves me stunned.

I don't care what the order is, as long as it's on normal rest. Is there really that much of a difference between Danks and Buehrle that we have to pitch 3 straight pitchers on 3 days rest?

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 09:19 PM)
I don't care what the order is, as long as it's on normal rest. Is there really that much of a difference between Danks and Buehrle that we have to pitch 3 straight pitchers on 3 days rest?

Totally agree with this and have been saying it for 3 days. It's totally stupid to pitch these guys on 3 days rest, even if they come back the next week on 4. It's often not the start on 3 days rest that kills guys; it's the one right after, which would be during the Twins series. And for what? To give Danks a rest? Hell, he pitched the best game all week.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 09:41 PM)
Well considering the offense has taken the month off. They should be rested. Maybe they can hit the ball a bit. The Royals have hit the ball well this month. We maybe need to actually score runs to win games.

That's crazy talk, my friend -- there's something at stake, and they're on the road. That's a killer combination for most of these guys.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 09:41 PM)
Well considering the offense has taken the month off. They should be rested. Maybe they can hit the ball a bit. The Royals have hit the ball well this month. We maybe need to actually score runs to win games.

Agreed. I don't give a crap what the rotation is. If we continue to swing the bats the same way as the last few weeks...they'll be no October baseball for the Sox.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Sep 19, 2008 -> 05:25 AM)
I'm getting the Cotts against the Yankees feeling in 2003 all over again with this one. :(

For the people that say it's up to the players to perform on the field, and management deserves no blame, this weekend is a situation where Ozzie should face a lot of scrutiny if Buehrle and Floyd suck. I pray for my sanity and this board's sanity that we don't have to discuss the effects of 3 days rest too much.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 19, 2008 -> 12:43 AM)
For the people that say it's up to the players to perform on the field, and management deserves no blame, this weekend is a situation where Ozzie should face a lot of scrutiny if Buehrle and Floyd suck. I pray for my sanity and this board's sanity that we don't have to discuss the effects of 3 days rest too much.

I don't think I could watch the postseason if we blow this. We have too many advantages

1.5 Lead

3 vs KC while they have 3 vs Tampa

Even if we are down .5 to end the year, we still have that game vs detroit AT HOME.

Then we have the tiebreaker at HOME.

This is ours to lose and I will hate baseball until at least spring training if we choke this one.

I'm personally not a fan of this because its suicide. Even if the Sox pitchers can do good on short rest over a couple stints we are just asking to have them all burned out come the post-season and at that point we'll be one and done anyway. Hope you can get quality 5th starts from Richard and stick on normal rest (thus ensuring that you put those 4 starters that are good in a good position to succeed both in the regular season and the post-season).

Just my 2 cents though, especially when you factor in Floyd/Danks being young.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 09:43 PM)

I just hope a year from now we aren't looking at Floyd/Danks on the DL cause right now they are two of the guys that have me most excited about where the franchise is headed.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 19, 2008 -> 06:06 AM)
I'm personally not a fan of this because its suicide. Even if the Sox pitchers can do good on short rest over a couple stints we are just asking to have them all burned out come the post-season and at that point we'll be one and done anyway. Hope you can get quality 5th starts from Richard and stick on normal rest (thus ensuring that you put those 4 starters that are good in a good position to succeed both in the regular season and the post-season).

Just my 2 cents though, especially when you factor in Floyd/Danks being young.

It's just so unnecessary. Pitch Danks tomorrow, and everyone is able to stay on 4 days rest until at least next Friday. I think Danks has been better than Buehrle against the Twins this season anyways.

I would agree this 3 days rest thing seems dumb. As devil's advocate, however, I think it's got to be Oz, KW and Coop all combining their minds on this. But I have no problem with you blaming Oz if this blows up. It's why he gets paid the big bucks. Take the heat and the credit.

I know emotion isn't that big in baseball where it's a marathon, but I guess I expect too much out of our veterans to fire up the club. I mean if we lose 2 of 3 and/or all 3 to KC without some tables being upturned and screaming DURING the game, that'd be disappointing. I mean this is what these guys allegedly play for, a shot at the postseason.

I know we are banged up and tired, but sometimes we do appear dead.

Maybe I'm wrong; maybe it just appears that way and this is just the marathon called baseball season.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 19, 2008 -> 12:59 AM)
I would agree this 3 days rest thing seems dumb. As devil's advocate, however, I think it's got to be Oz, KW and Coop all combining their minds on this. But I have no problem with you blaming Oz if this blows up. It's why he gets paid the big bucks. Take the heat and the credit.

I know emotion isn't that big in baseball where it's a marathon, but I guess I expect too much out of our veterans to fire up the club. I mean if we lose 2 of 3 and/or all 3 to KC without some tables being upturned and screaming DURING the game, that'd be disappointing. I mean this is what these guys allegedly play for, a shot at the postseason.

I know we are banged up and tired, but sometimes we do appear dead.

Maybe I'm wrong; maybe it just appears that way and this is just the marathon called baseball season.

So if they all say it, that makes it ok?

KC is burning f***ing hot right now. Those guys always play the best baseball in September when they're buried. So, of course we get them on the schedule now.

Not to mention, for whatever reason, when we need the games the most against KC, they kick our ass. They always play us better then other division rivals (Twinkees not withstanding).

Not a good situation at all.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 19, 2008 -> 04:41 AM)

Your POST sums in all up very nicely. I too can't believe we went with 3 days rest with al these pitchers we have on the roster now. Sure didn't work out for Vazquez did it? But, an offensive showing on a consistent basis these last series would be real nice to see.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Sep 19, 2008 -> 08:19 AM)
KC is burning f***ing hot right now. Those guys always play the best baseball in September when they're buried. So, of course we get them on the schedule now.

Not to mention, for whatever reason, when we need the games the most against KC, they kick our ass. They always play us better then other division rivals (Twinkees not withstanding).

Not a good situation at all.

They did only just sweep Seattle though (can't remember who they played before that) so we should give them a little more competition.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Sep 19, 2008 -> 08:38 AM)
They did only just sweep Seattle though (can't remember who they played before that) so we should give them a little more competition.

Its real simple. Our hitting needs to wake the f*** up. Lowest OBP in the AL in September, near the bottom in all categories in the AL in September except for homers of course. The Relief crew needs to man up. Start pounding the zone with strikes. Start executing. Its money time.

Edited by southsideirish71