The Ryder Cup

clyons

Any golf fans here paying attention to this? The USA is trying to use "home course" advantage to reverse a recent string of European dominance and win the cup back. The USA's highest ranked player is on the DL (although Tiger's Ryder Cup record isn't that great), and this year's American team (somewhat controversially) features a number of Ryder Cup rookies.

Ryder Cup play features several variations of match play formats which can raise the level of pressure from shot to shot and hole to hole. IMO, that and the us vs. them nationalistic "team" concept make the Ryder Cup far more interesting and competitive than the typical PGA event.

Looks like things are pretty even about a quarter way through this morning's first round matches. Its important for the USA to stay close early, as the early format matches have typically gone to Europe, with the USA having to play catch-up in the latter singles matches.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

I was just going to start a thread about this but thought otherwise thinking there wouldnt be enough interest here.But I guess there might be.

Americans havent won on a Friday in like 15 years if I heard that correctly,so we need to stop that streak.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Sep 19, 2008 -> 11:03 AM)
Wow it would be big if Michelson and Kim win after being 3 down with 5 to play, they're all square right now.

Wasnt Michelson not going to play in it until he found out he could team up with Kim?

QUOTE (daa84 @ Sep 19, 2008 -> 12:14 PM)
great start for the americans so far...at worst they should be up 2.5 to 1.5 after the morning play...has a shot to be 3.5 to .5

wow did i jinx this or what....well it is 3.0 to 1 but still...kenny perry imploded and blew a 1 point swing on the scoreboard

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 20, 2008 -> 12:32 PM)
I just wanted to say that I love the Western Amateur. Go every year.

Way to support the Western Golf Association. Its a shame the Western Open is no more, but the "BMW Classic" should be back at Cog Hill on a regular basis next year.

Looks like the Euros came to play today, and this will be a match through tomorrow. Hopefully, the US will hold on without Tiger, as the Sox will do w/o CQ.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 20, 2008 -> 12:32 PM)
I just wanted to say that I love the Western Amateur. Go every year.

Is it still at Point O Woods golf course?I have tons of great memories from going to those with my Uncle.

If its still there Iam going to make it a point to go next year.

Edited by shipps