Death to Mickey Mouse!

HuskyCaucasian

Sheik Mohammed Munajjid calls for death of Mickey Mouse

On Tuesday, another Saudi cleric, Sheik Mohammed Munajjid, said the cartoon character Mickey Mouse should be killed. Munajjid said in an interview with a religious Web site that under Islamic law, rats and mice are considered “repulsive” and as “soldiers of Satan.”

“For children they’ve become something great and beloved. Like this Mickey Mouse, who is seen as a great figure, even though under Islamic law, Mickey Mouse should be killed,” said Munajjid, who is a well-known cleric but does not hold a government position.

About a year ago, Hamas created an anti-Israeli children's program with a character that looked exactly like Mickey Mouse. That character was beaten to death by an Israeli.

I have no idea how this all fits together, but there's clearly some sort of weird mickey mouse related issues that the Middle East needs to work out.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Sep 20, 2008 -> 02:06 PM)
Do Muslim clerics really sit around and think about such petty things as this?

Kind of ironic that they share that viewpoint with Christians.

Overview:

An initial boycott of the Disney Company 1,2 was organized by the Catholic League. 3 They objected to a movie "Priest" which had been released by Miramax Co. in 1995. A year later, the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC), disturbed at Disney's equal treatment of heterosexuals, bisexuals and homosexuals, threatened a boycott. 4 Later that year, the Assemblies of God started an independent boycott. It was motivated by a wide range of concerns: a book, a movie, and theme park policies. 5 In 1997, the SBC initiated its boycott. 6,7This was joined by a number of other agencies and denominations: one Muslim, two Jewish, one mainline Christian denomination and dozens of conservative Christian faith groups. By 2001-MAR, these boycotts remained in place, but are not particularly visible in the media.

Various of the boycotts were terminated in 2005.

Link and plenty more.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 08:02 AM)
Kind of ironic that they share that viewpoint with Christians.

Link and plenty more.

Yeah if you ignore the whole Mickey Mouse part, you know, which was the point of this entire thread. Keep trying though.

Just so I don't seem like a Christian-defender here, I'm agnostic.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 08:54 AM)
Yeah if you ignore the whole Mickey Mouse part, you know, which was the point of this entire thread. Keep trying though.

Just so I don't seem like a Christian-defender here, I'm agnostic.

They may come at it from different sides, but the end result is the same, many fundamental Christians take issue with fantasy worlds. Harry Potter, for example, glorifies Satan with his witchcraft and sorcery. Same with Cinderella. I do not share those views, I know my children can differentiate Cinderella and Harry Potter from Jesus.

And just so I don't seem like a Christian attacker, I'm one of the religious whack jobs around here (or so I am told).

I guess this is a good spot as many to mention this. I helped build a Chapel this weekend. Many years ago, the Chapel at our Scout camp was destroyed by Hurricane Beulah. Finally, almost 40 years later we build the replacement. The roof structure had been completed months ago, but the project stalled while funds were raised to build seats. This past weekend we installed the bench seats, enough for about 100 people to sit. The alter area is a concrete slab from the old Chapel, we spread caliche in the seating area.

The informal dedication was very nice. Scouting does not recognize one religion over any others, just that you believe in a higher power, and I always appreciate the oneness of our services.

I am working on a nice donation to complete the project. It is still a little sterile, without any adornments.

At least as an agnostic you are defending Christian values. Are you a still searching agnostic, or have you made up your mind? It always seemed to me that an agnostic is someone who has left an opening for God, he just needs to be shown. Perhaps finding a suitable Church that you are comfortable would allow that to happen.