Anderson back in 09 or traded?

southsider2k5

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he stays and gets a real shot to compete. I think this was the year where he needed to prove that he could exist within a clubhouse in a part time position without causing any trouble. He has more than proved his worth, and you cannot find that kind of defense just anywhere.

QUOTE (G&T @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 08:08 AM)
Traded. Wouldn't either Swisher or PK have to be traded for BA to start? That's not likely.

If we know anything about Kenny, he will trade anyone. If he feels like he can spend money smarter, or get a key player, he will trade Swish or PK in about a second.

Well, one thing this final six weeks has done has opened up the possibility of trading Konerko again...especially if we make it into the playoffs and he rakes again, like in 2005. Seems as if he's close to 100%. I just don't like giving up on Swisher so quickly (it would have been like dumping Vazquez after 2006). I think he could play a very solid 1B and then we could really improve our team speed/small ball characteristics from CF, 2B/SS and potentially 3B.

You have to wonder if the team would be better off in the long-term trading Dye and/or Konerko now. Trading Thome seems less realistic, especially as he would have to stay in the AL obviously.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 09:21 AM)
If we know anything about Kenny, he will trade anyone. If he feels like he can spend money smarter, or get a key player, he will trade Swish or PK in about a second.

He said something to his son to the effect of "don't think that I won't trade your ass if a deal comes along just because I'm your dad"

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 09:16 AM)
There is no doubt Hawk is trying to hype up BA's trade value. I think Brian has done a very good job this season, but he's going to get traded.

I wonder if any GMs listen to Hawk and would be persuaded by him to go get Brian Anderson.

I hope for the White Sox there are, the possibility seems very remote that anyone is that ..... gullible? dumb?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 08:28 AM)
He said something to his son to the effect of "don't think that I won't trade your ass if a deal comes along just because I'm your dad"

Kenny is the kind of guy who would throw at his son if he thought it would win him a game. Just because someone is blocked at a position, doesn't mean they will be tomorrow.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 09:21 AM)

Yeah, but it isn't likely with those two guys after the years they've had.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 08:27 AM)
Well, one thing this final six weeks has done has opened up the possibility of trading Konerko again...especially if we make it into the playoffs and he rakes again, like in 2005.

Yep, why the hell would the Sox want a guy like that on the roster when his value would be so high.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 08:34 AM)
Kenny is the kind of guy who would throw at his son if he thought it would win him a game. Just because someone is blocked at a position, doesn't mean they will be tomorrow.

If he were that concerned with winning, he wouldn't have drafted his son so high.

I hope he stays.

He's been a good 4th OF for us all season long, and you would think he would continue to get better hitting wise into the future.

Unless you could get a good deal for him (or if he's a piece in a trade for someone better e.g a third baseman).

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 09:30 AM)
Expound.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Kenny_Williams

Kenny Williams Jr. was drafted in 2007, but not by Williams. The White Sox picked him in 2008 when the team's scouts decided to select Williams Jr.; Kenny Williams Sr. opposed the move because he felt it would place too much added pressure on his son.

I don't think there is any question Brian is back next year.

(1) What value does he have in trade? He is a virtual legend in some Sox fans minds, but he's worth a bag of balls in a deal at this point.

(2) He could turn out to be something... and he's under our control contract-wise... what's the pressure to trade him? None.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 09:40 AM)
Our scouts need to be fired immediately if they thought Kenny's kid was worthy of a 6th round pick. He could end up in the hall of fame for all I care, but he'd still have been there for us to pick if we had waited another 10 rounds.

Eh, that sounds like they spun it to seem like Williams didn't have a hand in it.

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 09:48 AM)
I don't think there is any question Brian is back next year.

(1) What value does he have in trade? He is a virtual legend in some Sox fans minds, but he's worth a bag of balls in a deal at this point.

(2) He could turn out to be something... and he's under our control contract-wise... what's the pressure to trade him? None.

I think if he had value in trade, he would have been traded by now. I think he has risen his value this year, and there is always value for a good defensive CF, but let's not fool ourselves into thinking he is going to net us anything of real value at this point.

I think Kenny recognizes that Brian holds more value to our club at this point than he does for others. And while he might not like what he is doing to Brian, it's for the good of the club.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 05:05 AM)
So I noticed that the last few games Hawk has REALLY been praising Brian Anderson and got to thinking... Either he is trying to hype him up to increase he trade value, or we are looking at oour 2009 starting CF.

Thoughts?

Hawk Harrelson's comments will have absolutely zero effect on his trade value. If Harrelson's comments were an indication of anything it would be management working on preparing people for Anderson getting another shot in CF. However, if that ends up happening the Sox will likely have to upgrade offensively in other areas (ie, 3B & 2B).

Note: I say 2nd base because Ramirez will be moving to SS.