Anderson back in 09 or traded?

southsider2k5

QUOTE (G&T @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 05:37 AM)
Yeah, but it isn't likely with those two guys after the years they've had.

If Paulie finishes strong and has a decent post-season he could be traded with ease and for good value. Teams would look at his early season struggles and go those were due to the injury he had suffered. When healthy Paulie has consistently been an above average first baseman and would be an asset on a team looking to upgrade there offense at 1B (when productive, his contract is very fair).

The bigger question is do you trade a healthy Paulie or do you move Swisher? I guess it depends on what Swisher's value is. If Swisher somehow has any value I would consider moving him (of course you'd be selling him with completely low stock). He clearly has some good tools but as a first baseman I don't know if Swisher would ever be able to produce at league average, let alone above average.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 06:40 AM)
Our scouts need to be fired immediately if they thought Kenny's kid was worthy of a 6th round pick. He could end up in the hall of fame for all I care, but he'd still have been there for us to pick if we had waited another 10 rounds.

Kenny has the athletism of a top 10 round pick. However, that would have been if you were drafting him out of high school. He had a failed collegiate career and has shown very little "baseball instincts". It is one thing to draft a raw high school player or a raw collegiate player but they have to show at least something and Kenny didn't show enough to go top 10. I wouldn't have taken him anywhere in the top 15 rounds but after that he would have been a solid pick given his pure athletism (despite his lack of baseball ability).

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 11:42 AM)
How is Anderson helping the Sox now, or in the future? Do you really see him starting under Ozzie?

I think the whole Ozzie thing is a myth that fans for some reason just love to buy into.

If Brian showed that he can hit major league pitching, he'd be playing. But he hasn't so he's not.

If Brian had a .350 OBP rather than a .275, he'd be Ozzie's best friend.

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 01:43 PM)
I think the whole Ozzie thing is a myth that fans for some reason just love to buy into.

If Brian showed that he can hit major league pitching, he'd be playing. But he hasn't so he's not.

If Brian had a .350 OBP rather than a .275, he'd be Ozzie's best friend.

What I've noticed about Anderson is that he had a short, quick, low stance coming out of ST, and it was obvious he had been working on mechanics. He was looking really good in ST, and for the first month of the season. Then as time started to wear on, he didn't play all that much and he gradually stopped doing it, and now he has the same long swing again where he stands straight up.

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 09:38 AM)
Just what we need. Another sub-.300 OBP in the lineup.

I'm not going to say Anderson is ever going to amount to be anything special however I will not dismiss the chance that he will improve. Plenty of ballplayers had unproductive early years and thats especially true in baseball. We all know the Sox are not getting any younger. It's a minor miracle that KW came up with young productive pieces like Q, Alexei, Danks and Floyd for practically nothing. Can the Sox afford to give up on another young outfielder with potential ? Youth,defense and health are BA's attributes and the Sox need all 3. He's been a valuable bench player this year. I'm hoping he can be even more valuable in the future.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 02:03 PM)
It really isn't. When Owens gets called up on September 1st, and he gets starts over Anderson, the guy that has been on the club all season, there is something to that.

When Ozzie made his comments about McCarthy and Anderson, it was very telling.

I vote myth.

I have employees I didn't like a year ago who I like much better now because they're doing their jobs.

As Michael Corleone said, "It's not personal. It's business."

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 01:23 PM)
What is the contract status of D-Weezy looking like? We signed him to a minor league deal, so I assume there is some sort of ML team option. I would love for outfield next year to look like it is now minus Griffey.

Wise started this season with only 2 years of MLB service time recorded. Not sure exactly how they count the time he was up and down this year, but at worst he'd be arbitration eligible.

If Anderson learns to hit an off-speed pitch, he will be a very good player in this league. However, he's just a fastball hitter with a good glove right now. I guess you can live with that, but if that's going to be the way it goes, he's gonna get traded sooner or later.

The guy is slugging at a .450 clip right now. 21 of his 41 hits are extra base hits. He's a breakthrough waiting to happen, but he's lacking a crucial skill to succeed in the Majors.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 01:21 PM)
If Anderson learns to hit an off-speed pitch, he will be a very good player in this league. However, he's just a fastball hitter with a good glove right now. I guess you can live with that, but if that's going to be the way it goes, he's gonna get traded sooner or later.

The guy is slugging at a .450 clip right now. 21 of his 41 hits are extra base hits. He's a breakthrough waiting to happen, but he's lacking a crucial skill to succeed in the Majors.

Part of the issue with that is going to be playing time for a guy like him though. He's a part time player who has a totally rebuilt swing this year and was surviving on the minors by just being a better athlete than everyone else.

He's managed to learn how to hit lefties a lot better this year, and against anyone that throws him a fastball his power numbers have been solid as you point out. But if you want him to learn how to take the soft tossing righty that spots the change up on the outside corner the other way, and how to stay back on an offspeed pitch or outthink a pitcher for once...he's going to need at bats.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 01:05 PM)
So I noticed that the last few games Hawk has REALLY been praising Brian Anderson and got to thinking... Either he is trying to hype him up to increase he trade value, or we are looking at oour 2009 starting CF.

Thoughts?

I like what Bran Anderson and Dewayne Wise both have brought to the club. They can play all three OF posiitons, pinch run or pinch hit and one hits RH and one LH. I see them back as reserves before Ken Griffey Jr is back don't you think?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 05:30 PM)
I like what Bran Anderson and Dewayne Wise both have brought to the club. They can play all three OF posiitons, pinch run or pinch hit and one hits RH and one LH. I see them back as reserves before Ken Griffey Jr is back don't you think?

If Griffey is back next year, then the management is absolutely clueless.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 10:17 AM)
Because Kenny has a problem with doing something not popular? That doesn't sound like him at all.

I don't think even KW would basically say, "I drafted my talentless son way earlier than I should have, thus missing out on much more talented players...but I don't give a s***."

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 05:52 PM)
I don't think even KW would basically say, "I drafted my talentless son way earlier than I should have, thus missing out on much more talented players...but I don't give a s***."

No but it isn't hard to envision him saying that he authorized the drafting of his son because he feels like he is going to help the ballclub in the future. He takes blame almost everytime something goes wrong, I have no problem thinking he would do it here as well.