Moving into the city soon

almagest

I'm looking to move in with my girlfriend sometime soon, depending on when she can sublease her current place. We're definitely sticking in the city, likely in the mid-1000s range for price, and would like a 2+ bedroom with space enough for an office or two, central air, and some sort of parking arrangement that doesn't have me driving around, looking for a spot for 20 minutes. Any suggestions? Does anyone here own or know someone who owns some nice property they're looking to rent? I've been looking mostly at Ukrainian Village and Andersonville, and am also considering St. Ben's, Roscoe Village, Tri-Taylor, and Bridgeport. Any suggestions on the safety/value of those locations? Any other areas I should check out? Thanks!

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Sep 23, 2008 -> 11:20 PM)
Well, if you were movin to the country, I'd suggest eatin' a lot of peaches.

LAMO. Dude, I heard that the other day for the first time in yeeeears.

Alma, how soon do you need a place? I own a big 3bed-2bath condo in Tri Taylor that will be available on 6/1. $1,300, your own parking space in the back of the unit, you pay all utilities.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 23, 2008 -> 11:53 PM)
LAMO. Dude, I heard that the other day for the first time in yeeeears.

Alma, how soon do you need a place? I own a big 3bed-2bath condo in Tri Taylor that will be available on 6/1. $1,300, your own parking space in the back of the unit, you pay all utilities.

Within the next month or two, I'd think. At most, 6 months from now. How do you like the Tri-Taylor area?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 09:46 AM)
First question: How old are you, and what do you want to be near? Is it important to be near nightlife? Commuting? The Lake?

I'm 26 and work in the northeast corner of the loop (Michigan and Lake). Being near Metra/CTA is very important. I'd also like to live somewhere where driving isn't a huge pain in the ass (like driving downtown is), on the odd occasion I have to drive somewhere. Being near the lake would be very nice, but isn't necessary. I'd like to live somewhere relatively quiet, but close to restaurants and things to do (besides going to bars all the time).

Funny, I'm in a similar situation as you alma. 2 friends and I are looking for a place in the city to rent for around 15-1600 a month with some parking spaces. I'm mainly browsing the wicker park area as well as lakeview.

I'd suggest checking out like craigslist, chicagoreader.com, apartmentpeople.com

Also, if anyone knows of a decent place in the areas I listed let me know :) /threadjack

I used to live in Old town, but now live in Buena Park/Uptown area. Im pretty happy with the area as its not as expensive as some places but still has access to getting around the city and close to Lake Shore Drive so I barely never have to use the highway to get to the city.

A lot about the city is location, so if you dont go for the premium locations you can find better prices.

QUOTE (almagest @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 09:07 AM)
I'm 26 and work in the northeast corner of the loop (Michigan and Lake). Being near Metra/CTA is very important. I'd also like to live somewhere where driving isn't a huge pain in the ass (like driving downtown is), on the odd occasion I have to drive somewhere. Being near the lake would be very nice, but isn't necessary. I'd like to live somewhere relatively quiet, but close to restaurants and things to do (besides going to bars all the time).

So. You have some options there. CTA basically streches all over the city north and south and a little west. For your work location you can pretty much grab any line and get there since its basically on the actual loop route of the brown/purple/red. Where I live you could walk to work in about 10 min if need be. We are the same age and I like my neighborhood and the southloop and even old town because it tends to be a little older crowd, a little cleaner, with ALOT less people compared to LIncoln Park and Lakeview. I am also near both major highways (1 min to each) and the metra/amtrak stations. Its also a short bus ride (20 route) to the lake or to the park, or even the museums and the art institute.

I really liked Wicker and Bucktown until it started getting really crowded a la Lincoln Park, to the point where you cant park anywhere and driving is a total hassle. A little further west is better, near Uke Village. You should basically take a drive around the areas and see what you like. For me, commuting to the loop and the burbs was a neccessity, so my 6 min commute (walk) to work was a huge bonus, not to mention the ease of getting around in my neighborhood as well as getting to other areas of the city. For example, it take me about 10 min to get to the Cell, and about 5-6 to get to the south loop.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 01:55 PM)
Any suggestions for happening areas close to the Kennedy so I can drive to work fairly easily? I work in Schaumburg btw.

SO you basically commute north on 90 so I would recommend a neighborhood up near that part of the highway so you dont have to deal with as much 94 as people who live closer to the city. My recommendation up there would be somewhere around Lincoln Square. Its an old German part of town which is now just really cleaning up and becoming a great place for all ages to live. its still somewhat affordable and has a ton of parks/recreation areas as well as cool restaurants and things to do. Its also right by the blue line/brown line and the highway.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 04:05 PM)
SO you basically commute north on 90 so I would recommend a neighborhood up near that part of the highway so you dont have to deal with as much 94 as people who live closer to the city. My recommendation up there would be somewhere around Lincoln Square. Its an old German part of town which is now just really cleaning up and becoming a great place for all ages to live. its still somewhat affordable and has a ton of parks/recreation areas as well as cool restaurants and things to do. Its also right by the blue line/brown line and the highway.

Muchas gracias Rock. Definitely heard some good things about Lincoln Square from a friend. I'm really going to have to check that out.

P.S. How you enjoying the west loop area?

Edited by SoxFanForever

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 06:26 PM)
Muchas gracias Rock. Definitely heard some good things about Lincoln Square from a friend. I'm really going to have to check that out.

P.S. How you enjoying the west loop area?

IM actually exploring bigger places in my area right now cause its just such a convenience for people who work from home, commute to the burbs and work in the loop all at the same time. Plus they are building one of Redford's movie theaters.

Lincoln square is the balls though, the german places are sweet and there are some good dives. Alot of character up there, and TONS of parks.

QUOTE (almagest @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 09:54 PM)
My girlfriend found a place she really likes in Rogers Park, near Devon and Ashland. I'm going to see it with her on Saturday. Any opinions on Rogers Park/that part of Rogers Park? I've heard it's not the greatest area.

Pretty much everything I've heard about RP is that it isn't a very good neighborhood right now.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 07:50 AM)
Pretty much everything I've heard about RP is that it isn't a very good neighborhood right now.

East Rogers Park is nice...West Rogers Park is up and coming, but still not a great neighborhood.

And have you thought about Jefferson Park? It's on the blue line so you can get into the city...but right on the highway and past the Nagle curve so you'll miss a good deal of traffic going out.

Edited by CanOfCorn

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 11:48 AM)
East Rogers Park is nice...West Rogers Park is up and coming, but still not a great neighborhood.

And have you thought about Jefferson Park? It's on the blue line so you can get into the city...but right on the highway and past the Nagle curve so you'll miss a good deal of traffic going out.

I have. A friend of mine lives in Portage Park, which is right by there. He complains constantly about how awful the Blue Line is, though, which is one of the reasons I haven't looked at much around there.

QUOTE (almagest @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 02:31 PM)
I have. A friend of mine lives in Portage Park, which is right by there. He complains constantly about how awful the Blue Line is, though, which is one of the reasons I haven't looked at much around there.

Blue line is awful. Constant construction on it to remove "slow zones" which in reality was supposed to be done last year.

So we found a place 3 blocks west of Western, 5 blocks north of Division. Agent called it "Bucktown", Wikipedia and other places call it "Humbolt Park." The area didn't seem too dangerous -- pretty much large condo buildings all around -- but I know Humbolt is considered one of the worst areas on the Northside. Does anyone know anything about the area just west of Western? Thanks.

QUOTE (almagest @ Sep 27, 2008 -> 11:13 AM)
So we found a place 3 blocks west of Western, 5 blocks north of Division. Agent called it "Bucktown", Wikipedia and other places call it "Humbolt Park." The area didn't seem too dangerous -- pretty much large condo buildings all around -- but I know Humbolt is considered one of the worst areas on the Northside. Does anyone know anything about the area just west of Western? Thanks.

You got the exact address of intersection?