Why do Twins Fans boo AJ

RockRaines

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 10:45 AM)
He also had the incident with the medical staff in SF. This did not endear him to the support personnel either.

Also as I've said before they boo him probably because they've met him.

Has that ever been proven? I have heard about it, but I thought I read that nobody ever proved it happened

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 11:33 AM)
Has that ever been proven? I have heard about it, but I thought I read that nobody ever proved it happened

I've never seen anything that says that incident actually took place.

In fact, I have not been able to find anything that suggests AJ was a real irritant in SF except:

- Brett Tomko and Matt Herges didn't like him

- He refused the Giants offer, took them to arbitration, and won... a move that ticked off Sabean and may have set back their relationship.

- They already had a catcher (Torrealba) and fans didn't like the trade so they didn't warm up to him (not unlike OC with the Sox this year).

- He hit into 20-something double plays and that compounded the fans irritation.

I've read many articles by San Francisco writers and have found no evidence suggesting that AJ did anything else causing him to be disliked. (If anybody does find them, please link them.)

And interestingly, Jason Schmidt had a big year with AJ behind the plate and had nothing bad to say about him. All the 'cancer' talk came from two 'anonymous' sources who started chirping less than a month into AJ's only season there. Those sources were later identified to be Tomko and Herges.

All the other "hate AJ" references I found are from players or fans of other teams.

Edited by scenario

I recall an incident a few years ago when AJ was still with the Twins where he yelled asshole or something to that effect when Maggs was at the plate. So Sox fans should boo him too, right?

People boo Pierzynski because he IS an asshole. That's why Twins fans do it too.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Oct 3, 2008 -> 03:47 PM)
Remember the baserunning play he made at 2nd during our regular series there? I don't blame them on booing him. There are a couple other teams as well. The rest of the league are just followers who have no reason.

Please refresh my memory.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 12:33 PM)

It did happen. I know the guy involved. It wasn't as blatant or mean spirited as portrayed by the rumors. However, I think that may make it worse, AJ thought it was funny.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Oct 3, 2008 -> 05:46 PM)
My buddy in MN still claims that he used to hear frequently in the news about that AJ did not get along with the Twins when he was up there.

I think he's revising history. :P

I've never talked to anyone from Minneapolis (and I spend alot of time up there) who said AJ was a problem on his own team. Look at him on the Sox. Leopards don't change their spots. Has he been a cancer here? No. Was there some life changing event that caused him to take on a different personality all of a sudden? No. Bottom line... the 'AJ is a problem' stories are 10% truth - 90% hype.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 3, 2008 -> 03:17 PM)
It did happen. I know the guy involved. It wasn't as blatant or mean spirited as portrayed by the rumors. However, I think that may make it worse, AJ thought it was funny.

ptatc... Would you mind telling the story? I think it should be told in this thread and your insights about it would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by scenario

Anybody else see the replay in Sunday's game against the Rays where Navarro was throwing to second on a steal with AJ at the plate...

And AJ casually stuck his bat out to make the throw a little more difficult.

LOL.

I think his reputation as a 'jerk' among the players of other teams comes from alot of little stuff like that.

Where's Benchwarmerjim when you need him? Twins fans LOVED AJ up there. They boo him for no reason other than many of them do not know wht the hell is going on. Im sure when Mauer or Morneau leaves they will boo them too. Im pretty sure they booed Mincaskjaskvich as well.

QUOTE (ROC Sox Fan @ Oct 4, 2008 -> 10:38 PM)
The baserunning phantom interference call this season was against the Rays, wasn't it?

correct. it was a Sunday afternoon and the game was on TBS. I remember watching that play.

===

AJ was loved in Minnesota. Part of it is that Twins fans are sort of stupid, and part of it is that AJ chose to play for the Sox (gotta hate that Sox you know) and part of it is that he spiked Morneau a few year back, and part of it is all the game winning hits AJ seems to hit against the Twins

Maybe on the diamond, wite, but AJ isn't an a**hole off of it.

He happens to be the only guy on the team when I went to KC who interacted with the fans and took several minutes to sign autographs. Wassermann wouldn't even sign a little kid's hat for crying out loud. I've also met him on a few occasions off the field and he was a great guy. He's just your average adult who still likes to have fun in life and act like he's in high school, like a poor man's Manny.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 11:08 PM)

He happens to be the only guy on the team when I went to KC who interacted with the fans and took several minutes to sign autographs. Wassermann wouldn't even sign a little kid's hat for crying out loud. I've also met him on a few occasions off the field and he was a great guy. He's just your average adult who still likes to have fun in life and act like he's in high school, like a poor man's Manny.

I don't give a s*** what kind of person he is off of it. The question is, why do Twins fans hate Pierzynski? I generalized - why do baseball fans hate Pierzynski? And he's a f***ing asshole on the field, and if you really disagree, I think you need to watch his in-game actions...he's an asshole. And I love him for it. Part of it is that I'm a Sox fan, but the other is that I love people being who they truly are and that they act the way they truly are. AJ does this.

I'm not a fan of 29 other teams. Why is he the most hated player in the MLB? Because he's an asshole. Just because a person is an asshole doesn't mean he can't like people.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 11:08 PM)

He actually gives a ton of money to charity as well and is a pretty good guy in the community.

QUOTE (scenario @ Oct 3, 2008 -> 07:26 PM)
I think he's revising history. :P

I've never talked to anyone from Minneapolis (and I spend alot of time up there) who said AJ was a problem on his own team. Look at him on the Sox. Leopards don't change their spots. Has he been a cancer here? No. Was there some life changing event that caused him to take on a different personality all of a sudden? No. Bottom line... the 'AJ is a problem' stories are 10% truth - 90% hype.

ptatc... Would you mind telling the story? I think it should be told in this thread and your insights about it would be greatly appreciated.

He was doing a pre-game type work out routine (stretching I believe) with the assistance of a person on the medical staff. He was talking to another player and told a joke and said "it was funny kind of like this" when he hit the guy in the nads while laughing. The guy didn't think that he tried to hit him hard but when AJ did it he didn't apologize or even acknowledge that he did hit the guy hard.

Like I said I don't think it was mean spirited just an a**hole thinking it was funny to do this to another person.

• 2 weeks later...