Ozzie doesn't get it

Felix

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to bring up the injury topic again but I'd be willing to bet we wouldn't be in this situation with a healthy Quinten and a healthy Crede. Uribe has done a good job as a replacement for Crede but no one can replace Quinten's production this year.

That being said we don't have those two and won't have them tonight. I want Dye to play but it'd be ok with me if he doesn't. He's been in an enormous slump right now. If we want to win tonight, we can't be looking for the long ball, it needs to be base hit after base hit in order to win. I can't belive I'm saying this but I hope Swisher is in the line up tonight.

You would be the worst manager in baseball history, I swear to God.

You act like what I say would be in the total minority anywhere but an internet message board. Can you imagine if Ozzie benched Dye this series?? My god. You go with your studs. How the f*** could you or anybody suggest benching Dye?? Guillen who some on here consider a laughingstock would be considered the laughingstock of pro sports.

I don't care if he hasn't had a hit all month. This year he's one of our studs. You don't f***ing bench Jermaine Dye in a series of this magnitude.

If after the season you decide he and/or Konkerko/and or Thome are finished, you trade them. As of now you f***ing play them.

Edited by greg775

Hating Ozzie Guillen is dumb. You can disagree with his moves but he has managed his ass off this year and never gets his just due. I agree with you taking out Jermaine Dead but Ozzie is not to blame for this teams problems he has been the Manager of the Year IMHO

What good is "managing your ass off" if it's poorly?

Never gets his due? What exactly does he deserve accolades for?

Am I misreading your post, or did you call Ozzie Manager of the Year? That's literally the dumbest, most ignorant thing I've heard on this board ALL YEAR. Ozzie is CLUELESS as an in-game manager.

I'll just end it there to keep myself from being banned based on some of the obscenities I want to let out after reading someone calling Ozzie MOTY...

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 02:10 PM)

Am I misreading your post, or did you call Ozzie Manager of the Year? That's literally the dumbest, most ignorant thing I've heard on this board ALL YEAR. Ozzie is CLUELESS as an in-game manager.

I'll just end it there to keep myself from being banned based on some of the obscenities I want to let out after reading someone calling Ozzie MOTY...

I cannot honestly believe that considering we won a World Series 3 years ago, and could very well be making the playoffs again this season.

He's certainly been an upgrade over Jerry Manuel (look at how the Mets are doing right now FWIW).

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 03:10 PM)

I think you find joy when the sox lose just so you can b****.

I love the way the Oz haters never mention how close many of those games were in the 05 postseason and how we won all but one of them. Oz pulled the strings every game.

I assuming they say I'm living in the past and/or any clown could have made the same moves in 05.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 01:57 PM)
I hate to bring up the injury topic again but I'd be willing to bet we wouldn't be in this situation with a healthy Quinten and a healthy Crede. Uribe has done a good job as a replacement for Crede but no one can replace Quinten's production this year.

That being said we don't have those two and won't have them tonight. I want Dye to play but it'd be ok with me if he doesn't. He's been in an enormous slump right now. If we want to win tonight, we can't be looking for the long ball, it needs to be base hit after base hit in order to win. I can't belive I'm saying this but I hope Swisher is in the line up tonight.

Who is Quinten? I know Carlos Quentin is a MVP candidate, but I've never heard of this 'Quinten' fellow.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 08:10 PM)

You're not going to change the way someone views a player/manager/team. Don't try to make someone change their mind. Just post what you believe and keep your argument semi-logical.

I'm as frustrated as anyone with these last two games - if I had a puppy it would be kicked. But Brian Anderson? Really? You're hanging this series loss on that decision? Game 1 was a loss that no defensive play was going to remedy - javy choked hard and would've done it with BA out there too. Last night was a great game, IMO. Buehrle showed some great stones, hanging in there when it was clear he didn't have it. I love that guy.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)
I love the way the Oz haters never mention how close many of those games were in the 05 postseason and how we won all but one of them. Oz pulled the strings every game.

I assuming they say I'm living in the past and/or any clown could have made the same moves in 05.

I can recall some horrible calls in the playoffs, mainly in the ALDS and WS. And it's not hard to sit on the bench and let your starters throw four straight CG's.

Ozzie is to Ditka as Cooper is to Ryan. The former two are the guys who get all the credit and are way overrated, and the latter two are the guys who deserve the majority of the credit but get none.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 04:21 PM)
I can recall some horrible calls in the playoffs, mainly in the ALDS and WS. And it's not hard to sit on the bench and let your starters throw four straight CG's.

Ozzie is to Ditka as Cooper is to Ryan. The former two are the guys who get all the credit and are way overrated, and the latter two are the guys who deserve the majority of the credit but get none.

I disagree. Just ask Jerry Manuel when he was pulling starters in 2000 and the pen blew the games (not that the offense helped). Plenty of managers will go to the pen because they think they have to.

QUOTE (G&T @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 03:25 PM)
I disagree. Just ask Jerry Manuel when he was pulling starters in 2000 and the pen blew the games (not that the offense helped). Plenty of managers will go to the pen because they think they have to.

I'll give you that Ozzie's style is to let his starters pitch, but that has backfired on him plenty of times. See: 2006, most Vazquez starts in the 6th inning/ 3rd time through the order.

QUOTE (G&T @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 08:25 PM)

Weren't all those starters hurt and pitching on fumes in 2000?

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 04:56 PM)
Weren't all those starters hurt and pitching on fumes in 2000?

As I recall the starters were all pitching strong and Manuel pulled them all in the 7th because he felt he had to. Baldwin had been hurt, but made his start.

And it's not hard to sit on the bench and let your starters throw four straight CG's.

OM god. Conventional wisdom is to pull the starters. He makes the bold move of letting them pitch and not bring in setup guys, closers, etc., and gets no credit. Ha.

Oz gets ZERO credit from some. Whatever. It's easy to blame the manager, call for the backup QB. When a manager wins like in 05, again, it's "any clown could have led that team to victory."

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)

hahaha, i love it. So you either get 0 credit and "didn't do all that much" when your team goes 11-1 in the playoffs and when your team sucks its all your fault. What would be a good manager? One that doesn't win a WS, but plays BA over Griffey and loses anyway?

Hey guys first post here.

Listen, I'm furious with the way our team has performed in this series but this isn't Ozzie's fault in the least bit. He has no speed to work with, if anything I feel that we should be complaining by the lack of pitch outs with runners on base in this series. It has become obvious that AJ is incapable of throwing out runners with our pitchers. That being said, a single quickly turns into a double when we face this team. I feel this series has been lost more as a result of our inability to get the clutch out or hit that we need. The twins converserly, have repeatedly put themselves in position to win and get this hit. So if anything we can blame Ozzie for the lack of pitch outs, but this teams performance, specifically the lack of speed cannot be magically fixed by Ozzie.

Go Sox! :gosox3:

hahaha, i love it. So you either get 0 credit and "didn't do all that much" when your team goes 11-1 in the playoffs and when your team sucks its all your fault. What would be a good manager? One that doesn't win a WS, but plays BA over Griffey and loses anyway?

Great post. Maybe some of you will get your wish. If we do continue our flame out, Oz is so emotional he probably won't just go disappear for a few weeks. He'll probably either a.) tell the media that KW is free to fire him. b.) say something dumb like KW should fire him. c.) actually quit and go manage another team (whatever you guys think he WOULD immediately get another managing job in the bigs). Oz is an emotional nut so I would suspect if we do get eliminated he might quit or say something so wild KW and Jerry have no choice but to replace him. LaRussa is probably destined to come back and work for Jerry before they both leave baseball.

I think you find joy when the sox lose just so you can b****.

You clearly know NOTHING about me and the nature of my posts. I'm b****ing about Ozzie and giving good reasons for it. As far as the team outlook, historically I am one of the most optimistic members on this board. Ah, Milkman remembers. In 2005, I was one of the few that couldn't wait for a lot of members on this board to eat crow. To say I take joy when the Sox lose also shows you aren't paying attention to my rants about Ozzie ALONE worth a damn.

Edited by TheBigHurt

I have never been so disappointed in Ozzie Guillen....I'm not one to complain much about our manager, but I feel, I think for the first time, that Ozzie cost us that series, and possibly the chance to make the playoffs.

There is just no way one can overlook Ozzie's failure to to adjust the style of play necessary to win right now, considering the recent performance of Jermaine Dye and the injury to Carlos Quentin. The sick, sick thing is, we have players on our roster right now, due to the expansion of rosters to 40, to match up fairly closely with Minnesota's speed, but we just refuse to do so.

I'm not saying we should have abandoned the style of play and the horses that got us here, but on some level, you've got to concede the fact that the Twins are going to hit bloops all over the turf, and get some speed in your outfield. After we took the lead 6-1 tonight, I would have put Wise in right, BA in Center, and Swisher in left, and benched Dye and Griffey.

Again, I am so disappointed in Ozzie...not angry...but disappointed. Why the hell did we not have a "no doubles" set on with Gomez on first as the TYING run and Span up in the 8th?

I have been telling myself for weeks that we aren't good enough this year; that we won't do anything in the playoffs anyway. That we probably can't beat Boston or Tampa in round 1 so it doesn't matter if we make the playoffs or not.

But to blow it this way, in this fashion, in that ballpark, to those particular players...talk about a tough pill to swallow.

Shame on you, Ozzie Guillen. You know better than that. You are better than that.