Favorite Thing You Like To Cook

Texsox

For me it is a fruit cobbler, outdoors, in a Lodge™ Cast Iron Dutch Oven. Getting the coals just right, checking the temperature, the proper rotation to even out the hot spots, the fact it's ready about when you start to smell it. I have a few standard recipes and adjust based on what is on hand.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 05:52 PM)
Red potatoes, cut small, coat with olive oil, add lots of sliced onions, minced garlic and dill weed, cover with foil and cook for about an hour. Pair that with a juicy steak and some steamed broccoli, you have a meal

I've done almost that same dish over coals as a "foil pack". Yumm

I make my kids chocolate chip pancakes practically every day. I have to say, they're pretty good.

I have a grilling issue. Charcoal grill - pretty much all the meat (steak, burgers, chicken) won't cook all the way through. What am I doing wrong? I've solved the issue somewhat by boiling the chicken.microwaving the steak for a little while before putting the meat on the grill, but I know that's not the proper way to grill. It drives me crazy. Help!

Edited by Middle Buffalo

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 11:22 PM)
I make my kids chocolate chip pancakes practically every day. I have to say, they're pretty good.

I have a grilling issue. Charcoal grill - pretty much all the meat (steak, burgers, chicken) won't cook all the way through. What am I doing wrong? I've solved the issue somewhat by boiling the chicken.microwaving the steak for a little while before putting the meat on the grill, but I know that's not the proper way to grill. It drives me crazy. Help!

I only do gas now, but when I did charcoal, uneven cooking was usually from an uneven fire. Check the coals and make sure they are all going, and you don't have a big pile on one side or the other.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 10:22 PM)

Gas is really the way to go.

Yeah I just find it easier with Gas, although I've never really used Charcoal before.

I always remember that King of the Hill episode where Bobby and Peggy had a burger on Charcoal and it was so much better than Propane, but they didn't have the nerve to tell Hank.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 08:28 AM)
I only do gas now, but when I did charcoal, uneven cooking was usually from an uneven fire. Check the coals and make sure they are all going, and you don't have a big pile on one side or the other.

Actually, searing via direct heat for a couple minutes on both sides, then piling the coals to one side and finishing with indirect works nicely for a number of cuts of meat. Especially thicker ones.

If you do go propane, get a firebox that you can place some wood chips for extra grill flavor.

And Mexican lump coal >>>>>>>>>>>> Kingsford

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 12:22 AM)

Microwaving the chicken before grilling works for me.

When it comes to the steak, microwave it afterwards.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 01:56 PM)
Strangely, I never cook for Thanksgiving. I like to just make the Thanskgiving-type meal randomly.

I'm trying to find somewhere for Thanksgiving actually.

I want the whole "American" experience on that day.

Otherwise it'll be a buch of Brits and me trying to cook a turkey in an oven.