Favorite Thing You Like To Cook

Texsox

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 03:02 PM)
I'm trying to find somewhere for Thanksgiving actually.

I want the whole "American" experience on that day.

Otherwise it'll be a buch of Brits and me trying to cook a turkey in an oven.

Hey, I'd invite you, but I honestly have no idea where I'll be for Thanksgiving. It'll either be back home in Chicago, at my girlfriend's, or at a friend's.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 06:28 PM)
Vodka cream sauce is probably a standard even at Olive Garden

Ahhh, now I feel like an idiot...

I guess I've never really talked about it that much with people, but those who I have mentioned it to haven't seemed to have ever had it.

And it comes bottled??? Really? I make that stuff from scratch...

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Sep 27, 2008 -> 02:35 AM)
Ahhh, now I feel like an idiot...

I guess I've never really talked about it that much with people, but those who I have mentioned it to haven't seemed to have ever had it.

And it comes bottled??? Really? I make that stuff from scratch...

My local grocer carries Bertolli vodka cream sauce. Like most of the jar sauces, it works nice for a weekday, in a hurry meal. I'd prefer to just make it fresh, and it isn't too much effort if you have the ingredients on hand

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Sep 28, 2008 -> 10:13 AM)
Smoking.

I love doing pizza from scratch.

But right now my big favorite is risotto.

Hmmm,impressive kid.From what I have seen on the food network that is a dish that many people screw up and find difficult to cook.You have to continue to stir while adding water or whatever stalk until it is finished if I remember correctly.

One of my favorite meals at home is a pork roast with rosemary cream sauce and risotto. The stock has to be hot and you do need to allow the stock to be completely absorbed before adding more. I'll add a fresh green veggie to give the plate some color.

Yeah, you have to live by the stove pretty much. I use a chicken stock and white wine. At the end I throw in some mushrooms (best being baby bellas) and onions that I had cooked a little earlier. I end with a handful of asiago cheese being thrown in.

I love to cook. I REALLY love to cook. It's how I unwind after work. My wife loves the fact I enjoy it so much, and that I try really hard to be good and usually succeed.

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Sep 28, 2008 -> 07:37 PM)
Yeah, you have to live by the stove pretty much. I use a chicken stock and white wine. At the end I throw in some mushrooms (best being baby bellas) and onions that I had cooked a little earlier. I end with a handful of asiago cheese being thrown in.

I love to cook. I REALLY love to cook. It's how I unwind after work. My wife loves the fact I enjoy it so much, and that I try really hard to be good and usually succeed.

I saute the onions in olive oil at the beginning of the process. Then add the rice and saute until the rice turns a little tan. Then I start the stock infusions. I finish with cheese right at the end. The other variations I enjoy are sea food with Gulf wild caught shrimp.And cilantro, got to have cilantro

QUOTE (The Critic @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 12:31 PM)
Gas is definitely more convenient and easier to manage heat-wise, but I much prefer the flavor of food grilled over charcoal.

^^^

New Orleans cuisine is my favorite food to cook. my favorite four dishes are dark roux everything gumbo (shrimp, suasage, chicken and oysters), crawfish etouffee, BBQ shrimp (which strangely enough are NOT cooked on a BBQ), and a Louisianna-ized French crawfish dish called ecrevisse a la Montagneuse.

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Sep 28, 2008 -> 07:37 PM)

My wife and I both love cooking, but we both hate cleaning up afterward. I guess we didn't think it through when we got married. :lolhitting

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 28, 2008 -> 08:20 PM)
^^^

New Orleans cuisine is my favorite food to cook. my favorite four dishes are dark roux everything gumbo (shrimp, suasage, chicken and oysters), crawfish etouffee, BBQ shrimp (which strangely enough are NOT cooked on a BBQ), and a Louisianna-ized French crawfish dish called ecrevisse a la Montagneuse.

Of course you only use wild caught Gulf shrimp ;)

When I lived in Koreatown I cooked a lot of Mexican food—carnitas, asada, those sorts of things. Now that I live in Echo Park, I can get really good Mexican food just down the hill. So I figured out bulgogi as it's one of the only things I miss about K-town.

Food is my main creative muse.

I do a lot of cajun/creole stuff, mainly gumbo because it's easy—jambalaya is difficult to figure out the right ratios of trinity to meat to stock and rice. And the rice is so easy to mess up with all the other variables. I make my own stocks as I often roast 2-3 chickens per month, just to have on hand for stuff to make quick meals out of.

One of my roommates was a full-blooded Argentine who taught me his family recipe for limoncello. I've adapted it to different citruses and berries since.

The only thing I feel like I've really mastered is creme brulee. Never fails to impress a date when you pull a perfectly-cooked custard from the fridge and caramelize the sugar with a blowtorch. Once I figured out the custard I used it on croissant bread pudding with stellar results.

If you can make an omelet, roast a chicken, and have just one desert you can make, you can figure the rest out.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 09:42 AM)
Microwaving the chicken before grilling works for me.

When it comes to the steak, microwave it afterwards.

NEVER microwave a steak. Come on Knight.

What Tex said was right, you want to give the meat some color on direct heat, then cook it through with indirect. For Charcoal grills you can do this by piling the coals on one side and placing a metal tray under where you want the meat to go so it can cook it its own juices.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Sep 28, 2008 -> 06:41 PM)
I saute the onions in olive oil at the beginning of the process. Then add the rice and saute until the rice turns a little tan. Then I start the stock infusions. I finish with cheese right at the end. The other variations I enjoy are sea food with Gulf wild caught shrimp.And cilantro, got to have cilantro

Cilantro is easily my favorite herb to cook with. A little cilantro and lime goes a long way with alot of dishes.