Blago to be busted?

EvilMonkey

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/09/25/WBB...52291222367763/

CHICAGO, Sept. 25 (UPI) -- U.S. federal agents say they have enough evidence to indict Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich for fraud and conspiracy, WBBM-TV, Chicago, reported Thursday.

The CBS-owned station also said an indictment of Blagojevich, the first Democrat elected to Illinois' governorship in 30 years, was "not imminent."

Neither the FBI, U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald nor Blagojevich's office had any immediate comment on the report.

Fitzgerald's office said June 30, 2006, it was looking into "very serious allegations of endemic hiring fraud" in the Blagojevich administration.

Prosecutors also mentioned Blagojevich in an indictment as the intended beneficiary of at least one extortion attempt by Blagojevich fundraiser and businessmen Antoin "Tony" Rezko.

Rezko was convicted June 4 on 16 of the 24 counts against him. He awaits sentencing in October on mail and wire fraud, aiding and abetting bribery and money laundering convictions. He still faces two more trials.

The Chicago Sun-Times has reported Rezko could cut his prison time significantly by cooperating in investigations of other public figures, including Blagojevich.

Rezko lawyer Joseph Duffy called the idea of his client's involvement in other prosecutions "bogus."

If they have the goods on him, why isn't his ass indited NOW? MAybe because it would somehow hurt Obama a bit? If not, I can't see any reason to delay.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 03:47 PM)
Just make sure it's done cleanly and properly. I can't wait for Blagojevich to go to prison.

Yes, regardless of his party, I hate him as much as I hated Ryan. Do it right and send his ass to jail.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 28, 2008 -> 03:03 AM)
Is it possible to be the Governor of Illinois without getting arrested?

If this happens, Illinois will probably be the first state to ever have two consecutive governors sent to prison. One from each party, no less.

You youngin' are forgetting Otto Kerner (left office for prison), Dan Walker in prison after office for stuff outside of office, William Stranton charged but not convicted.

Topinka was probably also as corrupt as Ryan. Texas has a different way to getting rid of our losers, we send them to Washington

QUOTE (Soxy @ Sep 29, 2008 -> 09:52 AM)
Sidebar, but how is Lisa Madigan doing politically? Does it seem likely she'll stay as AG or is there talk of her running for another office?

Popular as ever. She can't go after Blago, though - has to be the feds. Lisa's father is Blago's biggest enemy, so that wouldn't look good.

Here's my prediction - she's on the short list for US AG if Obama wins the Presidency.

With the lineup of Illinois Governors under investigation through the years it seems that the whole system must be corrupt. I imagine that it is impossible to sit on top of a festering snake pit and not get bit.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Sep 29, 2008 -> 10:45 AM)
With the lineup of Illinois Governors under investigation through the years it seems that the whole system must be corrupt. I imagine that it is impossible to sit on top of a festering snake pit and not get bit.

Funny thing though... IL had a couple very good governors before the recent messes - Thompson and Edgar.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 29, 2008 -> 11:22 AM)
Funny thing though... IL had a couple very good governors before the recent messes - Thompson and Edgar.

Yes indeed. I am a little surprised that Big Jim kind of faded from politics. I thought he was poised for the national stage. Gotta love a Gov that can drink schnapps from a plunger :lolhitting