Carlos Gomez

HuskyCaucasian

I tell yea, Carlos Gomez has a world of talent, but watching him this weekend, i get the distinct impression his abilities have gone to his head and in a few years he's going to be a real SOB to deal with. He just give me that vibe. He is going to be VERY full of himself in a very short period of time.

I look at how he scream and yells at every opertunity. He's got a very "smug" look. And did you see him slide into home for no reason what so ever?

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From BP:

"This guy is a great pitcher, but his mind is not good."

--Twins center fielder Carlos Gomez, on Tigers starter Justin Verlander.

"Me and you are going to work this guy and mess up the mind."

--Gomez, referring to teammate Alexi Casilla, who bats behind Gomez.

This one is from BP but modified as I read a more sensible version somewhere else:

"Why you look at me like that? You don't intimidate me. I'm not a player you look at and puts my head down and looks away. Hell no, I look at you right back!"

--Gomez, to Verlander after he stared into the dugout.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 11:14 PM)
I tell yea, Carlos Gomez has a world of talent, but watching him this weekend, i get the distinct impression his abilities have gone to his head and in a few years he's going to be a real SOB to deal with. He just give me that vibe. He is going to be VERY full of himself in a very short period of time.

I look at how he scream and yells at every opertunity. He's got a very "smug" look. And did you see him slide into home for no reason what so ever?

If a White Sox rookie did this do you think you'd say the same? I viewed it as more excitement over the fact that he just led his team to sweeping their biggest contender for the Central division lead.

His overall numbers are not good at all really, but this whole season he has seemingly been a giant thorn in our sides. All I know, 4 guys I'd love to watch everyday would be Span, Gomez, Mauer, and Morneau.....the only guys I can say that about on the whitesox have been Quentin and Cuban Missile. I do know Delmon Young would probably frustrate the hell out of me.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 10:24 PM)
From BP:

"This guy is a great pitcher, but his mind is not good."

--Twins center fielder Carlos Gomez, on Tigers starter Justin Verlander.

"Me and you are going to work this guy and mess up the mind."

--Gomez, referring to teammate Alexi Casilla, who bats behind Gomez.

This one is from BP but modified as I read a more sensible version somewhere else:

"Why you look at me like that? You don't intimidate me. I'm not a player you look at and puts my head down and looks away. Hell no, I look at you right back!"

--Gomez, to Verlander after he stared into the dugout.

""

--Harrelson on Chris Gomez.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 07:15 AM)
The funny thing is, he's not that good. The White Sox just have no defense against speed. This guy can't draw a walk and swings at everything, yet we throw fastballs down the pipe to him consistently.

Gomez this year: .262/.301/.367, which is a delicious OPS of .668. BB/K ratio of 25/139. He's pretty much Juan Uribe of last year, with a slightly higher average, and less power. He's also 32/43 in stolen bases, which is a 74% success rate. Not bad, but at that rate he's pretty much breaking even with helping/hurting his team's chances to score. All in all, there's a reason he's batting 9th now, and not leading off.

Of course, that doesn't help when we throw high straight fastballs and hanging curves to him consistently.

QUOTE (almagest @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 10:09 AM)
Gomez this year: .262/.301/.367, which is a delicious OPS of .668. BB/K ratio of 25/139. He's pretty much Juan Uribe of last year, with a slightly higher average, and less power. He's also 32/43 in stolen bases, which is a 74% success rate. Not bad, but at that rate he's pretty much breaking even with helping/hurting his team's chances to score. All in all, there's a reason he's batting 9th now, and not leading off.

Of course, that doesn't help when we throw high straight fastballs and hanging curves to him consistently.

That's what I'm saying. If you take out the Sox series against him, especially in Minnesota, the guy's probably a .230 hitter!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 12:02 PM)
That's what I'm saying. If you take out the Sox series against him, especially in Minnesota, the guy's probably a .230 hitter!

In 18 games and 77 PAs vs. the Sox this year he is hitting .384. Yeah... probably something to that. He is a piece of s***baseball player against almost everyone EXCEPT the Sox.

Someone please hit this guy in the knee with a crowbar or something.