My night at the Metrodome

WilliamTell

When I went to Fenway a few weeks ago, my friend who is a lifelong Red Sox fan that I stayed with warned my brother and me not to wear any White Sox gear to the game. Horror stories ensued about Southie kids drinking too much and causing trouble and opposing fans getting carted off to jail because the cops side with the home team.

Screw it, we were there to support our team. By contrast the fans were pretty nice to us, a welcome sight were the unexpected legions of White Sox fans in attendance. We got ribbed by some drunk Boston fans, mainly telling us we sucked. I simply said 'Well tonight? You're right. We did suck.' We got shelled, 7-2. But it shut them up every time. Even got a high five or two.

The worst I got was at Dodger Stadium for the second of the three-game set that we were shut out, and even that wasn't that bad.

Most of the time the props I get from fellow White Sox fans for daring to sport a Pierzynski jersey makes up for it in spades.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Sep 30, 2008 -> 11:05 PM)
i let a few twins fans hear it when they were on their way out of the stadium tonight simply due to this thread...

Same here. I only saw 1 group on my way out, but they heard it from me also because of this thread. What they did was classless. I'm so happy we sent their asses home.

i let a few twins fans hear it when they were on their way out of the stadium tonight simply due to this thread...

Cool as long as no fights broke out. Just out of curiosity how did they react? They had to be so bummed at scoring nada runs.

No reason to go down to their level and be just as classless. Really, I hope people treat fans of the other team with respect as opposed to how they treat others. There's no reason to be an asshole to a fan of the other team unless they're going out of their way and asking for it.

I've been a fan of the opposing team in nearly every game I've gone to in my life, and nothing bugs me more than when other fans are just disrespectful just because they have 20,000 fans rooting for the same team.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 12:10 AM)
Cool as long as no fights broke out. Just out of curiosity how did they react? They had to be so bummed at scoring nada runs.

upper deck had a few groups of fans....one guy behind me was with a sox fan, and he was awesome about it...i didnt realyl say anything to him, he was a good guy...other guys just walked out and didnt really say anything just maybe something like "yeah you guys are real cool"

no fights or anything, mainly i just said stuff like "this is our house!" and "hey theres always the timberwolves season" or "see you in 09"...crap like that, i dont think i was out of line at all with anything, i mean i let them know we won but nothing obnoxious, not like i was instigating anything, and i dont think it was "classeless" as much as it was "exciting and passionate"

Edited by daa84

Thanks for having my back guys. So far I haven't sent anything off to their newspapers because I wanted to see if the Sox could win the division, then I'd feel better about it with the karma going against them. One fan actually was talking about playing the Red Sox in the playoffs, no clue if he thought that was the first round matchup or it'd be the ALCS, anyways it doesn't matter anymore because they're gone. I kinda wrote something to send to the newspapers and I still might, but I feel like WE got the last laugh on THEM.

There was no hostility in my teasing and I didn't throw anything at them. Just a simple "bye bye go home!!!" I've been a visitor at other parks a few times myself so I know how it feels. When I read this thread I was mad cause I could relate to his story although it was no where near as bad. It could have been though. Dodger fans were real pricks.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 03:16 AM)
Just got home from the game, it's around 2, and I have to be up at 6:30. Even after gaining a 6-1 lead, I could still sense the Twins were going to comeback and win, and obviously they won. But that's not what I'm going to talk about. I'm going to talk about what happened after the game involving the fans. During the game the fans weren't too bad, I'd hear an occasional fan talk smack to me but most wouldn't since the Sox had the lead most of the game.

I'm not a person to go around and start picking fights or whatever, I'm basically the same person personality wise who posts on here. I try not to piss people off and I keep to myself. After the Twins won in the 10th I have never been so humiliated and harrassed in my entire life. Probably two hundred fans, maybe even closer to 300 made remarks to me about how the White Sox suck and how all White Sox fans are a bunch of losers and so on. Some people would bump into me or try to shove me because I was in my Sox jersey and Sox hat. I'm not sure if the beer was directed towards me or not, but I was hit with beer. Worst of all someone came up to me and said the Sox suck and flipped my hat off my head. I caught it and turned around and was going to push him or knock his hat off but my friend stopped me. This was easily the longest half hour of my life. I've never had a desire to physically hurt someone and I've never been in a fight other than with my brother, but I just wanted to beat that guy up so bad.

Tonight this rivalry became much more than just a baseball rivalry to me. And in a way it was more just because I don't like Minnesota sports teams in general. But now it has become personal with me. I've never been to U.S. Cellular Field, so I don't know how Sox fans act to their opposition after a game, but with what I saw these Twins fans doing to me and other Sox fans was disgraceful. They do not deserve a division title at all. I'm sure most of their fans don't act like that, but still. I'm really effected by what happened after the game. The game doesn't even seem to matter to me because of the terrible antics that happened afterwords. I have no desire ever to go to that dump they call home, and if I go to a game in their new stadium I'm not going to feel comfortable wearing my Sox gear anymore, and I feel ashamed that I don't want to wear anything Sox because of tonight. I just don't want to be laughed at, embarassed, and humiliated again like I was tonight.

I honestly have no clue if any White Sox personnel read this site, but if any do I hope they realize that the season isn't over, win the next 5 and they're in. Don't let a team with a bunch of scumbag fans win this division. The Sox have been in first for most of the year, they deserve to win it and will win it if they play well agianst Cleveland. I hope Kansas City can make some magic happen. There isn't anything else I'd rather see than dejected Twins fans right now.

This right here is why I wont be wearing anything Sox related to game 1 in Tampa. I'll wear a black polo shirt but no Sox gear at all. I've worn Sox stuff to games in Tampa before but that was with only 12,000 in attendance and no one really caring. But with around 35k on Thurs, there's no need to subject myself to anything like what you've experienced. I'm sure there will be a lot of TB fans ready to strut their stuff.

Sucks that people cant be civil.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Sep 30, 2008 -> 10:45 PM)
This right here is why I wont be wearing anything Sox related to game 1 in Tampa. I'll wear a black polo shirt but no Sox gear at all. I've worn Sox stuff to games in Tampa before but that was with only 12,000 in attendance and no one really caring. But with around 35k on Thurs, there's no need to subject myself to anything like what you've experienced. I'm sure there will be a lot of TB fans ready to strut their stuff.

Sucks that people cant be civil.

I personally like wearing my teams gear in opposing parks. Support your team. If we lose we lose, wear the sox gear with pride.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Sep 30, 2008 -> 09:27 PM)
There was no hostility in my teasing and I didn't throw anything at them. Just a simple "bye bye go home!!!" I've been a visitor at other parks a few times myself so I know how it feels. When I read this thread I was mad cause I could relate to his story although it was no where near as bad. It could have been though. Dodger fans were real pricks.

I know about Dodgers fans too. A few years ago I got my 2 kids and my Dad who came for a visit and we all went to a Dodgers/Sox game at Dodger Stadium. 3 generations of my family. I spent big on good seats and some a-holes behind us are throwing peanuts at us. I mean I'm with my kids and my dad and he was probably about 70 at the time. Every time I turn around everyone acts all innocent but I had a pretty good idea who it was. Cowards doing that to a family and all we did was root for our team nothing outlandish. Can't make a scene because you got a family to protect and your head tells you that you're seriously outnumbered.

Even at pathetic Royals Stadium you run into the wrong drunks with your jersey on you could get whacked in the head with a bottle or something.

I went to that 14 inning game and some dumbass drunk KC fan couldn't even tell I was rooting for the Sox. KC did something great and the dumbass wanted to high five me.

I'm thinking if I had a Buehrle jersey on I probably woulda got harassed from him n his group.

I do respect you guys for wearing Sox gear on the road though.

gotta say tho, where i was behind the twins bullpen, those players got showered in beer/soda/peanuts/garbage/what have you when we won. it was really classless and i felt bad for them oddly enough.

That's very classless and dumb and rude. Their media should pick up on it and get the players to blast our fans publicly. No place for that. It's disappointing to hear. Not surprising though. it goes on everywhere.

This season, I've been to 4 road games and have been pretty lucky so far.

Boston and NYY were very classy fans and not 1 jack ass the entire night at either Fenway or Yankee Stadium. I was very impressed with each fan base in that regards. Especially Boston, which I was 90% sure that they would be assholes all night.

Baltimore (the day of the makeup game) and Detroit (when they swept us in June) were the ttwo other venues I went to visit for a sox road game. Baltimore had a few hecklers but nothing over the top.Nothing close to perfect behavior like NYY and Boston. Detroit was very calm for a division rival. They seemed to talk smack after the game. I argued with a small group of tiger fans after they called us overrated. I kept telling them to stop worrying about us and worry about the royals. lol

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 02:16 AM)
I honestly have no clue if any White Sox personnel read this site, but if any do I hope they realize that the season isn't over, win the next 5 and they're in. Don't let a team with a bunch of scumbag fans win this division. The Sox have been in first for most of the year, they deserve to win it and will win it if they play well agianst Cleveland. I hope Kansas City can make some magic happen. There isn't anything else I'd rather see than dejected Twins fans right now.

When AJ showed Cuddyer the ball to let 'em know he was gone...

There was a little sweet revenge for you right there. AJ was showing those loser Minny fans the ball, too.