SI: Sox talking about extension for Kenny Williams

Balta1701

I'll let others do the commentary on this one.

White Sox general manager Ken Williams is discussing a new contract with club owner Jerry Reinsdorf, SI.com has learned.

Williams is said to be amenable to an extension, and people familiar with the talks expect a new deal to be consummated fairly soon.

In an exceptional ode to privacy, Williams' contractual situation appears to be such a secret that it remains unknown when his current contract ends, though it's not believed to be expiring after this season. The extension is thought to be for multiple years.

"I have never commented on my contract status. We have never announced any terms or length of any of my deals and most people around here have respected my desires to keep such things private,'' Williams said in an e-mail, declining once again to confirm any negotiation.

Kenny is a great GM. However, his philosphy of putting together a team to succeed at our park and our park only is getting old. Yes, we have a World Series ring under his belt, but we also have only one division title under him.

Kenny needs to get some more speed so we can be more balanced. 2005 is the perfect example. We scored 741 runs, but we scored them at the right time when we needed them. This 2008 team can't score runs unless we knock it out of the park. I think that's pretty obvious.

What's even funnier is that this team might score 800 runs at most. We're at around 775 right now. When you have a power hitting team like ours, you're due for slumps. This slump of ours as of late is at the worst time possible.

Kenny really needs to go out and acquire a Chone Figgins or a O-Dog kind of player to balance this team out. We look great on paper, but we are slow, old, and way too streaky. This has been the story of the Sox since Kenny has taken over. It's obvious his philosophy isn't perfect.