Talking Tough both sides

greg775

NICK PUNTO:

“We’ve played good against Chicago this year,” said Twins shortstop Nick Punto, one of only a few players still around the clubhouse as the final outs were recorded. “It is a little different in this Metrodome than it is there, but we feel real confident in the way we are playing right now. We look forward to beating (Chicago manager) Ozzie Guillen and the White Sox.”

MARK BUEHRLE:

“I think if we were going there I wouldn’t like our chances as much as having them here,” he said. “I hope we absolutely beat the living crap out of them. It’s one of those games that if we are 20 runs ahead, hope we are still stealing bases and hitting and running because they are such a good team they could come back from that.”

RON GARDENHIRE

“We know where we are going and we know what we’ve got to do,” Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said in a statement. “Win a ballgame.”

AJP:

“Last week, when we played (the Twins), they handled us for three games,” White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski said. “It’ll be nice to get them on our turf.”

AJP on Gavin:

Floyd, however, was nervous from the outset, according to Pierzynski.

But he overcame his throwing error, which put the Tigers ahead 2-1 in the sixth.

“If you’re not nervous in that situation, there’s something wrong with you,” Pierzynski said.

JOE CHRISTENSEN (Minn. Star-Tribune newspaper)

Now the Twins must come to this house of horrors, where they are 2-7 this season, to decide which team moves on to play at Tampa Bay on Thursday in the first round of the playoffs.

OZ:

“I’ll take my chance against (Blackburn) after the way he pitched the last time,” White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said. “He did not pitch well. We just didn’t approach him the right way.”

“Tomorrow, 162 games mean nothing. It’s only about one game and that’s great,” White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said. “A good feeling.”

NICK BLACKBURN:

“I’m excited about it,” Blackburn said. He has already pitched against the White Sox five times this season, going 2-2 with a 5.67 ERA, 37 hits, four homers, nine walks and 12 strikeouts over 27 innings.

“The couple starts before that weren’t too good, so to know that I can still go out there and get guys out was good,” Blackburn said. “But I’m not going to let it change my thinking. I’m just going to approach it just like I do every other game I have this year.”

PUNTO ON BLACKBURN:

“He’s pitching well. He’s going to work the sinker, work the cutter, and hopefully work some magic,” Punto said.

Me:

Good luck, White Sox.

And one more:

JOHN DANKS:

“I know we were embarrassed there,” Danks said. “I’m sure we would like to not have to worry about playing them one more time, but at the same time this is a chance to get them back. It’s the perfect situation.”

In order for the Sox to advance to the postseason for the first time since their World Series title in 2005, they’ll need an impressive outing from Danks, who will be starting for the first time on three days’ rest.

“The ball will be in my court to get us there,” Danks said.

ME: Hope John Danks can pitch on 3 days rest.

"It's going to be fun tomorrow," said Pierzynski, the former Twin. "Let's hope the crowd brings it. Let's make it louder than the Metrodome because I've heard it loud there, but the last couple times wasn't as good as it could be."

The White Sox plan a "blackout," and are encouraging fans to wear all black to the ballpark. "Hopefully, they get a lot of beer in them, and get it going," Pierzynski said.

The White Sox are 53-28 at home, the Twins are 35-46 on the road, and there will be no flyballs lost in the roof today.

"I think you can ask Minnesota how much different of a team they are at home, too," Pierzynski said. "I guarantee you it won't be a concrete home plate like it was in Minnesota, where they can chop the ball off home plate and run. I guarantee you it'll be wet out tomorrow, and they're going to actually have to not chop the ball off the dirt and run.

"They're going to have to get some hits in the air, and we like our chances of catching them."

Awesome stuff. I hope trash talking really doesn't matter in sports cause from what I've read we've given them more bulletin board than they've given us.

I don't think talk matters though it apparently turned Javy into a wreck.

GO SOX! JUST WIN BABY.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 30, 2008 -> 04:11 AM)
Awesome stuff. I hope trash talking really doesn't matter in sports cause from what I've read we've given them more bulletin board than they've given us.

GO SOX! JUST WIN BABY.

haha, we always have though. And rankly, were the Chicago White Sox, not the Naples, Florida Diaper Dandys

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 29, 2008 -> 11:11 PM)

GO SOX! JUST WIN BABY.

The only bulletin board fodder that Ozzie needs is the three box scores from last week in Minnesota.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 30, 2008 -> 11:55 AM)
Wierd quote by Oz. Basically, if Blackburn makes adjustments and pitches differently than last time, we're screwed?? I'm pretty sure he's aware of that.

Or if he pitches different, it plays into the Sox' hands.

All I know, is that I'm much happier that we're playing them at the Cell instead of the Dome.

It's a BIG night for our power hitters, especially the middle of the lineup. They need to produce, and with Blackburn's recent form, they should have some chances to.

Blackburn SUCKS on the road. At home he has an E.R.A. of 2.96, while on the road I'm pretty sure it's above 5.

I know most of you will badger me for this, but the Twins are a GARBAGE baseball team outside the Humpy Dome. That place is a dump and I can't wait until it's demolished.

QUOTE (CWSOX45 @ Sep 30, 2008 -> 12:59 PM)
Blackburn SUCKS on the road. At home he has an E.R.A. of 2.96, while on the road I'm pretty sure it's above 5.

I know most of you will badger me for this, but the Twins are a GARBAGE baseball team outside the Humpy Dome. That place is a dump and I can't wait until it's demolished.

i doubt you'll get much argument today.

http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs/neal/2...QL7PQLanchO7DiU

Are the Twins ready for what’s about to hit them?

Posted on September 30th, 2008 – 1:44 AM

By La Velle

Joe C. and Jim Souhan are at the mike tonight for the show at The Cell. And while I often embrace the,`You don’t know what’s going to going to happen when you get to the ballpark,’ thing, I just don’t know how the Twins can pull this one off.

I have my reasons:

1.The game was sold out within a hour. It will be the most hostile environment many Twins players will have experienced to this point in their careers. I have NOT forgotten the 2003 All-Star Game in Chicago, when fans booed Eddie Guardado mercilessly during introductions.

2. The Sox have called it a black out game. They have urged all fans to dress in black and will hand out black, `Sox Pride’ towels. The place will rock.

3. The Sox hate playing in the Dome to the point where they feel they the Twins can’t beat them at The Cell. I’m not kidding. Sox officials told me last week that they can’t wait until the Twins move out the Dome because the Twins get away with bloops and chop hits and luck - I guess they’ve forgotten the 90-something horseshoes they had up their rears in 2005.

But they are convinced that the Twins are a different team out of the Dome. I agree. The home-road splits back that up. But it’s not because of bloop hits, it’s because their pitchers - especially the relievers - have been awful at times on the road.

4. The Sox hate losing to the Twins. Read this…and this. The Sox talk more stuff about the Twins than any team I know. They will be fired up. Expect A. J. Pierzynski to be at his best tonight.

5. Weather. It’s expected to be in the 60’s with wind gusts up to 30 mph blowing toward center-right center. Not good for Blackburn, who’s has left the ball up too much in recent starts. He did pitch better against the White Sox at the Dome, but he’ll need to be better tonight.

6. Nick Blackburn. Is he ready for what he’s about to experience? Sox fans will be all over him. Ozzie Guiilen talks like his team is about to make mincemeat out of him. Blackburn was 0-2 with 7.20 ERA in The Cell this season. The wind is blowing the WRONG way. He’s got to keep the ball down and mix his pitches - and the batting champion catcher needs to make sure he does that!

QUOTE (CWSOX45 @ Sep 30, 2008 -> 11:59 AM)

Minny at home: 53-28

Sox at home: 53-28

Minny on the road: 35-46

Sox on the road: 35-46

The Sox are just as much of a garbage team on the road as the Twins are, although the Sox are 31-30 on the road when not playing in a dome. When playing in TB, MIN, and TOR the Sox are 4-16. Those numbers do show a disadvantage for the Sox, but then again that disadvantage would be very small considering the quality of competition. TB might be the best team in baseball (what would the Angels' record look like if they didn't get all that ALW padding?), the Twins are a playoff contender, and Toronto for most of the season had an excellent pitching staff. I'd say overall the dome disadvantage is overblown and the results of our playing in domes mainly show that we've faced top competition and our team isn't all that great.

Kind of went off track there but whatever. Playing at home is a huge advantage for us though, especially against Blackburn who really isn't all that good.

PS I had a dream Danks went 8 innings today giving up just one run. I hope I'm psychic.

QUOTE (Chet Lemon @ Sep 30, 2008 -> 12:37 PM)
5. Weather. It’s expected to be in the 60’s with wind gusts up to 30 mph blowing toward center-right center. Not good for Blackburn, who’s has left the ball up too much in recent starts. He did pitch better against the White Sox at the Dome, but he’ll need to be better tonight.

That is f***ing scary. Please Johnny, keep the down DOWN to those lefties!!!

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 30, 2008 -> 05:02 PM)
Minny at home: 53-28

Sox at home: 53-28

Minny on the road: 35-46

Sox on the road: 35-46

The Sox are just as much of a garbage team on the road as the Twins are, although the Sox are 31-30 on the road when not playing in a dome. When playing in TB, MIN, and TOR the Sox are 4-16. Those numbers do show a disadvantage for the Sox, but then again that disadvantage would be very small considering the quality of competition. TB might be the best team in baseball (what would the Angels' record look like if they didn't get all that ALW padding?), the Twins are a playoff contender, and Toronto for most of the season had an excellent pitching staff. I'd say overall the dome disadvantage is overblown and the results of our playing in domes mainly show that we've faced top competition and our team isn't all that great.

Kind of went off track there but whatever. Playing at home is a huge advantage for us though, especially against Blackburn who really isn't all that good.

PS I had a dream Danks went 8 innings today giving up just one run. I hope I'm psychic.

I'm glad you aren't. Damn close, though :cheers