AND THATS A CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!&#33

kapkomet

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 30, 2008 -> 11:08 PM)
I don't know why Mauer bunted but it made me sooo happy. One less out we had to earn. Wow that was huge!

No one could hit Danks. They needed a runner. I was very pleased when he bunted but can't criticize him for trying. If he got just a little more on the ball it would have been past AJ and 'here come the phiranas'!

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 30, 2008 -> 10:50 PM)
BTW, having Kubel hit for Gomez was terrible. I know Gomez isn't very good, but he can get on with the bunt or infield single and that would be an automatic double.

Gomez's swing was so long tonight he couldn't have Jenks with a canoe paddle (a new Stone expression from last night). He looked awful, there is a reason Gardenhire moved him to 9.

"Let the record show that everybody stood up," Cooper said. "Nobody [expletive] picked us. Nobody counted on us … Those question marks [Danks and fellow starter Gavin Floyd, who beat the Tigers on Monday night] are now exclamation marks."

Love that quote.

Joe Mauer, "He had a lot of things going right for him tonight, you know. I know me, personally, he made some great pitches on me, I couldn't really figure him out."

When Mauer can't figure you out, you know you've turned to the next page in your career, just my opinion

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 02:22 AM)
Joe Mauer, "He had a lot of things going right for him tonight, you know. I know me, personally, he made some great pitches on me, I couldn't really figure him out."

When Mauer can't figure you out, you know you've turned to the next page in your career, just my opinion

And for those asking why he bunted , see above.

EDIT: To expand on Tony's comments earlier in the thread-

Not sure if this has been posted already, but I thought it was very classy of Gardenhire:

Afterward, Twins manager Ron Gardenhire made his way to the White Sox clubhouse door and waited patiently outside as Chicago outfielder Nick Swisher tried to retrieve Guillen from the champagne spray and cigar smoke of the room. A few minutes later, a soaked Guillen appeared at the door.

"Where's Gardie?" Guillen said.

Guillen shook Gardenhire's hand hard. There was a long hug and a backslap. Guillen has made no secret of his admiration for the Twins manager and for his team.

"I'm very happy for you," Gardenhire said as they embraced. "Make us proud."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/sto...mp;sportCat=mlb

Edited by iamshack

I still think the end of the season was so completely odd and random, I dont think any team will ever do it again.

The Sox played every team in their division once, and the division was decided by inter-division play(The Indians and Royals beating up on the Sox and Twins, the Sox and Twins facing off against each other, after Detroit allowed the Sox a chance).

And to just look at the schedule and to know that there was no days off? Wow

Royals(3 games)

Twins(3 games)

Indians(3 games)

Detroit(1 game)

Twins(1 game)

Thats just an insane end to the season, no matter how you cook it

What an incredible experience. As I said yesterday I absolutely lucked into tickets in sec 145 in the front row behind the tarp.

Every aspect of the game was played well by the Sox. Danks had an answer for everyone all night. I don't remember seeing it mentioned yet, but the hit and run double play in the first inning was so huge in settling Johnny down and making him feel like he could make his pitches, because the D would carry him.

The Mauer bunt was a huge favor, and a by product of the Dome being their home stadium. In our park it dies. In their park it rolls down the line for a basehit.

The Griffey throw was something Anderson doesn't make, because he isn't nearly as accurate. I don't know how the hell AJ held onto that ball, but it set the ballpark into a frenzy. We were all convinced the offense would go crazy after that because the energy was unmatched.

I don't know WTF Gomez even turned around for on the Thome HR. He would have needed a Go-Go-Gadget arm to get that one. You knew when it left his bat that you needed to find your tape measure for it

How about Ozzie leaving Danks not only to start the eighth inning, but also to leave him in AFTER a runner got on? Wow.

The Anderson catch to end it was legendary. Griffey doesn't come close to it. Again, Ozzie with his guys in the right place at the right time.

And how about Bobby's pitching? He was geeked up something fierce. He was only hitting 97 on the gun in the park gun, so I think the 99/100 was a little exagerated, but still, he was unhittable.

After the game, we had Jim Thome standing on the tarp in front of us and gving the champagne spray, as was Juan Uribe. We also had Jermaine come over and celebrate with us too.

What a night! Clinching at home rules!!!!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 08:10 AM)
What an incredible experience. As I said yesterday I absolutely lucked into tickets in sec 145 in the front row behind the tarp.

Every aspect of the game was played well by the Sox. Danks had an answer for everyone all night. I don't remember seeing it mentioned yet, but the hit and run double play in the first inning was so huge in settling Johnny down and making him feel like he could make his pitches, because the D would carry him.

The Mauer bunt was a huge favor, and a by product of the Dome being their home stadium. In our park it dies. In their park it rolls down the line for a basehit.

The Griffey throw was something Anderson doesn't make, because he isn't nearly as accurate. I don't know how the hell AJ held onto that ball, but it set the ballpark into a frenzy. We were all convinced the offense would go crazy after that because the energy was unmatched.

I don't know WTF Gomez even turned around for on the Thome HR. He would have needed a Go-Go-Gadget arm to get that one. You knew when it left his bat that you needed to find your tape measure for it

How about Ozzie leaving Danks not only to start the eighth inning, but also to leave him in AFTER a runner got on? Wow.

The Anderson catch to end it was legendary. Griffey doesn't come close to it. Again, Ozzie with his guys in the right place at the right time.

And how about Bobby's pitching? He was geeked up something fierce. He was only hitting 97 on the gun in the park gun, so I think the 99/100 was a little exagerated, but still, he was unhittable.

After the game, we had Jim Thome standing on the tarp in front of us and gving the champagne spray, as was Juan Uribe. We also had Jermaine come over and celebrate with us too.

What a night! Clinching at home rules!!!!

I saw you jump up for a foul ball too, from my seats in 155.

That game was awesome. Just awesome. Danks' start, Jenks' close, Griffey, AJ, Thome... just wow. The Griffey/Aj homeplate play was the difference maker, IMO.

The celebration after was fun too.

Not sure if someone pointed this out yet, but, think about this... in 2005, the Sox didn't have a single clinching moment IN CHICAGO - they clinched the division in DET, the ALDS in BOS, the ALCS at LAA, and the WS at HOU. So this was something we hadn't seen in Chicago in a long time.

GO SOX!

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 09:41 AM)
Not sure if someone pointed this out yet, but, think about this... in 2005, the Sox didn't have a single clinching moment IN CHICAGO - they clinched the division in DET, the ALDS in BOS, the ALCS at LAA, and the WS at HOU. So this was something we hadn't seen in Chicago in a long time.

GO SOX!

They mentioned that during the broadcast last night.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 08:41 AM)
I saw you jump up for a foul ball too, from my seats in 155.

That game was awesome. Just awesome. Danks' start, Jenks' close, Griffey, AJ, Thome... just wow. The Griffey/Aj homeplate play was the difference maker, IMO.

The celebration after was fun too.

GO SOX!

Yeah the ball was three rows up... but I figured if Gomez could run back on the Thome HR, I could make a play on that one ;)

The celebration was legendary. Just incredible. A moment that will stick with me forever.

NSS I have to say its because of you that I was able to go to the game last night.We were going to wait until early the next morning to get tickets at the box office but I read your post about them going on sale right after the game online and jumped on it. :cheers To soxtalk information.