Chicago @ Tampa Bay - ALDS Game 1

Heads22

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCredeYes @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 03:25 PM)
Sounds like it was a few guys, possibly Crede also? Not sure.

I read earlier this week that Joe had scheduled an appointment with his back doctor for today. Even if he's with them now, that's no way to show confidence in your teammates.

Richard pitching well right now doesn't mean he'd have been great to start the game....Tampa knows they are in great shape and it's a different animal pitching to them right now. This is good news Richard is pitching well though, HOPEFULLY Ozzie and Kenny see the err of their ways and make Richard the #4 starter if we make the ALCS.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 04:30 PM)
shoulda started.

Can't be so sure. He could also come out with a deer in headlights look and not make it out of the 1st. I'm not going to fault the Sox for starting a veteran against a young team that hasn't been in playoffs.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 02:25 PM)
I didn't hear them talking about it, but the post said they were given opportunities to be there and chose to go home.

If they were left off the roster, then why would anyone be upset that they went home?

It was guys that are not on the playoff roster, Farmer made it sound like they made all the arrangements for these players to travel with the team then last minute the players bailed and decided to stay home. Also that an unnamed player was pissed when he came back from the minors and didn't have his old locker and wanted to know why it was given to a younger player, I'm guessing MacDougal. Just the way Farmer was talking made it sound that management wasn't pleased with any of these guys. I'm just speculating, don't hang the messenger.

I'm not as mad as I thought I would be. We can't ignore what we saw for 162 games just because we made the playoffs. We won what turned out to be a weak division, and needed an extra game at home to do that. Our offense is simply too one dimensional to succeed consistently against elite pitching.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 03:28 PM)
Eh, if they really needed someone they're a plane ride away.

Personally, I'd go with the team until the end, but some guys would bolt if they're told they're not needed.

I know it sounds like I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth, but to me it's two different situations.

Yeah, I even removed that last sentence, becuase I felt like I overreated, but do you really think the players would want guys who left to come back? Seems pretty fair-weathered.

QUOTE (G&T @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 03:32 PM)
Can't be so sure. He could also come out with a deer in headlights look and not make it out of the 1st. I'm not going to fault the Sox for starting a veteran against a young team that hasn't been in playoffs.

As much as it pains me to say it, starting Javy was probably the right decision.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 02:30 PM)
if we make it to Javy's next start, I bet Javy gets benched.

Were we to make it to the ALCS, I believe that Javy would be our mop-up guy, just like in 2004 when the Yankees also realized that he's lousy, put him deep in their pen, and then watched him put Game 7 out of reach by giving up a home run to Johnny Damon.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 03:28 PM)
It's so strange, but I think I was much angrier when the Sox were losing last week than I am right now. I felt like we blew our wad the last 3 games....and thank Quentin we made it to the playoffs at least. As we've been saying, making the playoffs is better than not. Even if the Sox get swept, I'll have extremely positive thoughts about the 2008 season.

Agreed. I'm mad at Javy, but I've been mad at him for weeks now and he's earned it. Other than that, I agree with this post.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 04:32 PM)
Anyone know if he has a limited no trade clause or anything? I would trade him to the Pirates or Orioles.

The Orioles would be a decent bet.

Maybe go after Roberts with Vazquez as one of the main pieces.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 09:32 PM)
I'm not as mad as I thought I would be. We can't ignore what we saw for 162 games just because we made the playoffs. We won what turned out to be a weak division, and needed an extra game at home to do that. Our offense is simply too one dimensional to succeed consistently against elite pitching.

Yep, in all honesty, it's just not a spectacular team. No shame in saying that...it will take a few more years to make this team well-rounded and hopefully, less one-dimensional with the homer.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 03:33 PM)
And if Ozzie started Richard today, with Vazquez being fresh, and Richard got rocked, he wouldn't hear the end of it.

Not from me, and not from a lot of people on this board. The only people that would have ripped him had that happened would have been uninformed ones. Again, I don't blame him for starting Javy, but I'd have started Clayton.

Edited by whitesoxfan101