Chicago @ Tampa Bay - ALDS Game 1

Heads22

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 08:37 PM)
Bull.f***ing.s***.

Go back and read the Vazquez starting Game 1. Most everyone said it was the right call, and it made sense.

Players need to preform.

I agree, he had to start Javy. He won't make that mistake again. The only thing I'd say is don't underestimate Hawk's persuasion on how the token Sox fan thinks. At the game the other day, it was scary how many people were repeating his words and opinions.

Despite the current situation, I see some positives for the rest of this series:

1) Javy Vazquez will NEVER pitch for this team again

2) Clayton Richard is schooling the Rays, gaining some valuable playoff experience for next yr and maybe a playoff spot next series in the ALCS

3) The Rays can't hit lefties and we have two of them going next

4) This is ONLY Game 1. The Sox still have a great shot coming home up 2 - 0, especially with the Rays' bullpen

Edited by Allsox

QUOTE (Sox It To Em @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 03:33 PM)
As much as it pains me to say it, starting Javy was probably the right decision.

That rookie vs seasoned pro arguement is so over rated,there are hundreds of examples of rookies outdoing veterans in clutch moments.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 04:38 PM)
Why would the Orioles trade one of their most popular players for a pitcher with almost no upside, besides eating up innings as a 4/5 starter and making a few persistent Roto League owners happy with his strikeouts? Especially at his salary. Just doesn't make sense for Baltimore. Nobody has gotten him to change his career-long trajectory of not pitching very well under pressure. He just looks defeated...maybe he's not even on the ALCS roster if we go there. But it's a tremendous off-season dilemma for Williams to get another GM to take a risk without us having to subsidize his contract.

Because if they can't sign a FA SP such as Garland, then I think they'd go in the trade market to do so (and pitching is a weakness for them(.

They'd be interested in Fields as a long - term replacement for Mora as well I would have thought.

But of course, Angelos probably won't let him go.