Vazquez starting Thursday

whitesoxfan99

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Sep 30, 2008 -> 10:02 PM)
My whole thing with Clayton is we really need that arm in the pen.

I consider Thornton the 8th inning guy, and since Horacio Ramirez isnt technically a pitcher, we dont have a guy for lefties.

I wholeheartedly agree that Clayton should not be left behind. He will make the playoff roster and will be a key arm in that bullpen. In case that Vasquez does wet the bed early in the game, than you will see Clayton in there.

I personally dont think the Javy isnt 'big game' argument holds up.

First off, he was stellar innings 1-4 last game. Are those not big game situations in those innings?

If anything his later inning wearing down points to something structural... not mental.

Second... he had some big games vs. big opponents between mid-Aug to mid-Sept and gave us a chance to win.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Sep 30, 2008 -> 09:12 PM)
I personally dont think the Javy isnt 'big game' argument holds up.

First off, he was stellar innings 1-4 last game. Are those not big game situations in those innings?

If anything his later inning wearing down points to something structural... not mental.

Second... he had some big games vs. big opponents between mid-Aug to mid-Sept and gave us a chance to win.

hahahahaha

Please stop. These excuses are pathetic. Games don't last four innings. We don't judge pitchers if they pitch five great innings and just have one bad one. You have to do well from beginning to end. He hasn't done that. Even if you're reluctant to say he's not a big game pitcher, and a choker, the alternative is opposing players are seeing him well the second time through and that means either him or AJ/Hall have to do a better job of changing their approach to hitters.

QUOTE (Yoda @ Sep 30, 2008 -> 08:07 PM)
I wholeheartedly agree that Clayton should not be left behind. He will make the playoff roster and will be a key arm in that bullpen. In case that Vasquez does wet the bed early in the game, than you will see Clayton in there.

Quite simply, we have no choice but to bring Richard along...aside from Thornton, who do you want as our other lefty in the bullpen other than him? Logan, Ramirez?

i do think there is a bit of a big game thing with javy, but i dont think its as big as those on this board tend to say...i still think he is capable of winning big games....he lost his last 3 games looking bad doing so, but lets not forget his games from before that...

August 12 8IP 0 ER

August 17 8IP 1 ER

August 23 7 IP 4 ER (most late, and given up by the pen)

August 29 5.2 IP 3 ER

Sept. 3 6IP 2 ER

Sept. 9 6IP 2 ER

Sept 14 7.2IP 0 ER

thats a string of really really good outings when it counted...they may not have been the biggest games, but all games in late August into september are big and javy was really good for a long stretch there...lets hope now he's rested that he can hit his stride again

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Sep 30, 2008 -> 09:28 PM)
hahahahaha

Please stop. These excuses are pathetic. Games don't last four innings. We don't judge pitchers if they pitch five great innings and just have one bad one. You have to do well from beginning to end. He hasn't done that. Even if you're reluctant to say he's not a big game pitcher, and a choker, the alternative is opposing players are seeing him well the second time through and that means either him or AJ/Hall have to do a better job of changing their approach to hitters.

What are you laughing at? Your whole "even if" scenario is what he is getting at isn't it?

All Javy has to do is pitch well and he can get rid of his reputation pretty quickly. He needs to shut the Rays down. For all who continue to make excuses for him, he was 12-16 with a 4.66 ERA. His record and ERA were below average. He's 0-0 right now. I liked the Clayton Richard idea, especially against Tampa, but its time Javy stepped up. As Geoff Blum and Willie Harris proved, your bad season is easily forgotten with a decent performance now.

Edited by Dick Allen

Ozzie really had no choice (unless he wanted Buehrle again on 3 days rest.) And I don't care how great the kids have been, they have never pitched this many innings in their careers so they will reach some unfamiliar territory, and hopefully survive. I still think Richard can be an excellent wildcard for us, but I think Javy will at least keep us in the game. (2-4 ER or so, hopefully less)

(Dick Allen @ Sep 30, 2008 -> 11:00 PM)

As Geoff Blum and Willie Harris proved, your bad season is easily forgotten with a decent performance now.

I hope Swisher remembers that, we are really going to need him.

Edited by SoxAce

Being the playoffs, all of the pitchers should be on a short leash. If Javy starts to s*** the bed, then he should be yanked right away and then you can put Elway Jr. (Richard) in there.

How short a leash? Seems to me unless a starter gets rocked for 6 runs in the second, you let him go five minimum. It's up to the players to produce right now. The starters have to ball up and go five, six, seven, including Javy.

Javy's start is huge. Playing in that dome, with the fast surface (it's the fake grass-like stuff right?), strike outs are going to be important because, Lord knows, our outfield isn't getting to anything in the gaps.

Everything is gravy after that win last night...so I feel like the Sox are playing with house money. The Rays are a better team than the Sox this year (even with CQ and Crede and Linebrink healthy) and I expect them to beat the Sox in 3 or 4 games.

Everyone knows at this point that Vazquez chokes in big games and he'll probably lose game 1. Since I'm OK with where the Sox are right now, I'm OK with that as well.