Vazquez starting Thursday

whitesoxfan99

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 08:34 AM)
Everything is gravy after that win last night...so I feel like the Sox are playing with house money. The Rays are a better team than the Sox this year (even with CQ and Crede and Linebrink healthy) and I expect them to beat the Sox in 3 or 4 games.

Everyone knows at this point that Vazquez chokes in big games and he'll probably lose game 1. Since I'm OK with where the Sox are right now, I'm OK with that as well.

This is true, but we'll how experience factors in.

Just because the Sox lost the season series due to some self inflicted wounds, doesnt mean that the Sox cant go out and win 3 in a row against the Rays.

They just need to stay focused and Javy needs to attack the hitters. And when he gets ahead against young players he needs to finish them off, even last night Jenks threw a 0-2 fastball right down the middle before going to off speed stuff.

Why do the Sox always do that?

QUOTE (G&T @ Sep 30, 2008 -> 07:42 PM)
Can't pitch these guys on 3 days rest forever. javy will have to pitch at some point. Hopefully he sees how these other guys pitched and steps up.

That pretty much sums it up. Ozzie needs to be especially careful with Danks, whose 195 IP this season is 39 more innings than he's ever thrown in a season. Losing Contreras may prove to be big here.

With our rotation taxed and us historically sucking down there, I don't have a good feeling about this series. Then again, I had an awful feeling about our chances after the sweep in MIN last week, so we'll see.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 08:52 AM)
So do we go with a 4 or 3 man rotation?

I think it's closer to a 3.5 man rotation.

Because if we get this to game 5, Mark Buehrle is on normal rest, Javy would be on an extra day rest. And given the choice, Buehrle gets that ball.

QUOTE (SAVVY18 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 12:37 AM)
Being the playoffs, all of the pitchers should be on a short leash. If Javy starts to s*** the bed, then he should be yanked right away and then you can put Elway Jr. (Richard) in there.

I've been hearing the same thing on the radio, but that exemplifies the problem with Javy. He can go 4 or 5 inning looking lights out, then give up a walk...then a hit (get a guy warming)...then a home run. Suddenly it's train wreck. Waiting for the 1st sign of trouble is usually too late with him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 10:54 AM)
I think it's closer to a 3.5 man rotation.

Because if we get this to game 5, Mark Buehrle is on normal rest, Javy would be on an extra day rest. And given the choice, Buehrle gets that ball.

To me, this is the key.

If we split 1-1 in Tampa, we are in GREAT shape.

I can't see us losing both at home w/ Floyd & Danks both on normal rest.

Worst case scenario, we'd have Mark going on full rest in Game 5.

I really think we win the series, whether it be in 4 or 5, if we get 1 win in the first 2 at Tampa.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Sep 30, 2008 -> 09:12 PM)
I personally dont think the Javy isnt 'big game' argument holds up.

First off, he was stellar innings 1-4 last game. Are those not big game situations in those innings?

If anything his later inning wearing down points to something structural... not mental.

Second... he had some big games vs. big opponents between mid-Aug to mid-Sept and gave us a chance to win.

Yeah, you may want to change your tune.