Jenks...and 99 mph?????!?!?!

Paulie4Pres

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 07:46 AM)
Gun at the stadium showed Jenks at 96 and 97 a few times, and someone said it flashed 98 but I didn't see it. So I don't think TBS' gun was hot by more than a couple clicks, tops. Jenks was just hyped up in a big way.

I didn't see 98 either. 97 was the top speed I saw.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 10:39 AM)
I can't comment on the accuracy of the gun but Jenks looked filthy. His fastball was popping a bit more and that curve was NASTY.

I asked about the #'s you texted me and I would say the TBS gun was juiced by a couple. The guys sitting behind me screamed that they saw 98 in the park. It's not that far of a reach, IMO.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Sep 30, 2008 -> 10:35 PM)
As others have mentioned at the game he came in throwing 97. Danks was consistently around 92.

More importantly, who is that woman in your avatar Whitewashed and what is she doing?

Edited by heirdog

QUOTE (YahtzeeSox @ Sep 30, 2008 -> 10:05 PM)
One must also take into consideration that this may have been planned by Bobby Jenks... throw 95 tops most of the year and be mostly a finesse pitcher and get people out by making them make bad contact, but then at the end of the season in the big games... turn it back on and completely fool the opposition while they think you transformed yourself into a finesse pitcher. I actually kind of suspected this earlier on in the season, and it's odd that I was right. :gosox3:

I don't know if he was doing it out of deception, but I can easily see him trying to finese his way through the season just to save his arm. Who knows how long he'd last throwing 98 MPH the entire season. He saved his best stuff for when it really mattered.

QUOTE (Steff @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 10:45 AM)
I asked about the #'s you texted me and I would say the TBS gun was juiced by a couple. The guys sitting behind me screamed that they saw 98 in the park. It's not that far of a reach, IMO.

I saw 96, 97 and 98 at the park as well. Did not check every pitch, though.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 30, 2008 -> 10:25 PM)
I told most of you f***ers here that Jenks can reach back at will and he says the same thing.

Yeah, I remember having read that somewhere. I found this article with a quick Google search. The article discusses Jenks’ streak last year tying the record of 41 straight batters retired. Quote:

Jenks celebrated, knowing now that he could get by on a 95-mph fastball that he could locate instead of a 103-mph dart that hit more 2s than treble 20s.

Though, he likes to note, “It’s always there in case I need it.”

QUOTE (Earl @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 04:21 PM)
Yeah, I remember having read that somewhere. I found this article with a quick Google search. The article discusses Jenks’ streak last year tying the record of 41 straight batters retired. Quote:

Jenks celebrated, knowing now that he could get by on a 95-mph fastball that he could locate instead of a 103-mph dart that hit more 2s than treble 20s.

Though, he likes to note, “It’s always there in case I need it.”

Welcome to the board! Good post.

I was at the game last night, and as many here have said - the atmosphere was incredible. Bobby was most definitely amped up. When Boom by P.O.D. hit in the stadium, everybody around me (and throughout the stadium) f*cking lost their minds. That said, I don't think him hitting 97 was a product of adrenaline. The dude can reach back when he wants to blow it past somebody like that, but I think he is just so confident in himself now that he simply ratchets it down a notch for better control. His 94/95 FB with crazy movement is a ridiculous pitch, and it's probably a more effective pitch overall than the 100 MPH straight heat.

I honestly cannot fathom why people want to dump him. The big man has not progressively lost his heater. Bobby's elbow hasn't given any indication that it is about to explode. For the vast majority of his Sox tenure, he has been extremely reliable. At times (including last night), he is absolutely dominating. So to everybody who wants to dump the anchor of our bullpen, I am incredibly thankful that you are fans and not a member of Chicago White Sox management.

:gosox3: