Starting Outfield

rangercal

Starting Outfield  

88 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the most frequent starting outfield for the playoffs?

• Swish-Griff-Dye
    • Wise-Griff-Dye
    • Griff-BA-Dye
    • other

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 10:47 AM)
QUENTIN!

If that's not possible, give me Swisher, since the batting averages are identical but he can at least hit a homer or draw a walk.

Lovin' that sig, by the way.

If he were available for sure, then this poll does not exist.

:lol:

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 08:40 AM)
I voted for Griff-BA-Dye... only because in Tampa we need the coverage, but I don't see Ozzie going in that direction, I would be surprised if we saw a change from last nights line up.

To my knowledge, Griffey hasn't played LF in a long time. Because of that, I agree that he won't go with a superior BA in CF.

Swisher over Wise in left, because Wise is not a major league baseball player. He got a lucky grand slam against Detroit, and all of the sudden he's a fixture in the lineup? There's a reason why he's a 30 year old journeyman outfielder who couldn't find a job in the spring. He hasn't had produced for a couple of weeks now and is a complete cipher in the 2 hole, posting a sub-300 OBP. Ozzie starting him in such important games is, quite frankly, ludicrous. Swisher, in contrast, is a proven major leaguer who is every bit as good defensively and offensively is capable of taking pitches, drawing walks, and occasionally hitting a homer.

I don't think you'll see Swisher in left if Griffey is in center......as you need someone with range on the corners to help Jr out. If BA or Jr would be comfortable in LF, i'd love to see those two with Dye manning the grass...but I'm not sure if this is an option. Outside of that, I think you'll see Wise-Jr.-Dye......I just hope that Wise is moved down in the lineup. I'd rather see AJ batting second than him.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 08:22 AM)
I don't think you'll see Swisher in left if Griffey is in center......as you need someone with range on the corners to help Jr out. If BA or Jr would be comfortable in LF, i'd love to see those two with Dye manning the grass...but I'm not sure if this is an option. Outside of that, I think you'll see Wise-Jr.-Dye......I just hope that Wise is moved down in the lineup. I'd rather see AJ batting second than him.

I think Swisher is a better defensive outfielder than Wise. Wise doesn't make me feel comfortable defensively.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 11:25 AM)
I think Swisher is a better defensive outfielder than Wise. Wise doesn't make me feel comfortable defensively.

agree completely...any time a ball is headed his direction I assume the ball is dropping or getting by him.

In the past 10 games, Wise saw his season average go from .290 to .248. That should tell you all you need to know about him starting. Swisher has power, has a better approach at the plate, and plays a better defensive LF. He should be starting for the Sox. The only thing he doesn't really do well is bunt, but Wise didn't do much of that either anyways.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 11:22 AM)

What good does Wise's speed do if he can't read the ball off the bat? The man gets some horrendous jumps.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 12:30 PM)
What good does Wise's speed do if he can't read the ball off the bat? The man gets some horrendous jumps.

and what speed are you guys talking about? He's not fast, he's just got slightly above average speed. Swisher has that too but he actually gets good jumps on the ball.

QUOTE (almagest @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 10:41 AM)
The Gomez triple that went off Wise's glove, and the double last night by Cuddyer on almost the same ball that Delmon Young was able to cut off told me all I need to know about Wise's defense.

I'm not going to defend Wise' defense but to compare what Delmon Young did on the Dye hit and what Wise' did on the Cuddyer hit is ludicrous. Do they have the same speed ( the hit ball and the outfielders)? Were both outfielders in the exact same spot when the ball was 1st struck ? Did the ball roll in the exact same line of travel ? Did both balls have the exact same spin ? Unless you can answer yes to those questions you can't compare why Young got to the ball and held Dye to a single and why Wise couldn't cut off the ball and Cuddyer got a double.

I voted Swisher, but the Sox would then need a #2 hitter to move up in the lineup.

And I don't mind Swisher in that role, but he does K a lot. I actually wouldn't mind seeing Griffey hit 2nd in the lineup FWIW.

Swisher should play IMO. Wise has not shown much since starting, which brings me back to previous observations I have made and that's the fact Wise, and other players, find their mark as subs, but aren't up to the task of being a full-time player. He does a great job filling in as a role player.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 01:01 PM)
I'm not going to defend Wise' defense but to compare what Delmon Young did on the Dye hit and what Wise' did on the Cuddyer hit is ludicrous. Do they have the same speed ( the hit ball and the outfielders)? Were both outfielders in the exact same spot when the ball was 1st struck ? Did the ball roll in the exact same line of travel ? Did both balls have the exact same spin ? Unless you can answer yes to those questions you can't compare why Young got to the ball and held Dye to a single and why Wise couldn't cut off the ball and Cuddyer got a double.
Michael Cuddyer in his career has the overwhelming majority of his hits between the left field line and left-center. The defense was likely shading him to left/left center. Dye, while playing for far longer than Cuddyer, has similar splits as far as hit location. I'd imagine the defense would play him much the same as Cuddyer.

It's impossible to tell if both balls were hit the same way, but they were close as far as I could tell. Also, even neglecting the stats, if you watched the game, and watched the way Wise ran at that ball, didn't get himself into good position to cut it off, then overran it and fell down, I don't see how you could argue that he played it extremely poorly. I can't remember a left fielder fall down as much as I've seen Wise fall down over the last 2 weeks or so.