Starting Outfield

rangercal

Starting Outfield  

88 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the most frequent starting outfield for the playoffs?

• Swish-Griff-Dye
    • Wise-Griff-Dye
    • Griff-BA-Dye
    • other

I sit in the third row behind the leftfielder and I can tell you without a doubt that Wise gets terrible reads on balls. He always takes a step back before coming in which is fine but he did it on a pop up to short.

Maybe he isn't used to LF.

While I am not a Swisher fan he should start in LF as there is the potential for him to do somehting. He should also bat second.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 02:32 PM)
Wise appears to be a faster Mackowiak-great as a part time player, but less than mediocre as a starter.

Swisher in left-

Wise isn't real good in the outfield, and hasn't hit well since starting. But another reason that I like starting someone else is I think Dewayne has been a really good player off the bench, whether it's pinch-hitting or pinch-running. He's truly a valuable guy in that capacity, and -- in playoff baseball -- you need guys like that.

Swisher over Wise in left, because Wise is not a major league baseball player. He got a lucky grand slam against Detroit, and all of the sudden he's a fixture in the lineup? There's a reason why he's a 30 year old journeyman outfielder who couldn't find a job in the spring. He hasn't had produced for a couple of weeks now and is a complete cipher in the 2 hole, posting a sub-300 OBP. Ozzie starting him in such important games is, quite frankly, ludicrous. Swisher, in contrast, is a proven major leaguer who is every bit as good defensively and offensively is capable of taking pitches, drawing walks, and occasionally hitting a homer.

This is a good discussion as to who we want, but let's face facts and my take on the reality of the situation. Remember all this crap about looking in the guys' eyes on the road trip? Obviously Oz (and perhaps KW) looked in Swish's eyes and have given up on Swish. Unfortunately Wise has stopped hitting and appears to be an automatic out.

It's obvious Oz loves Griffey in center. So my question to you is: Can we win with Wise, Griffey and Dye because that's gonna be the lineup.

Many of the posters on here ripping Wise IMO are VERY knowledgable so Wise's presence concerns me. Yet I can see why Swish earned himself a permanent spot in the doghouse.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)
This is a good discussion as to who we want, but let's face facts and my take on the reality of the situation. Remember all this crap about looking in the guys' eyes on the road trip? Obviously Oz (and perhaps KW) looked in Swish's eyes and have given up on Swish. Unfortunately Wise has stopped hitting and appears to be an automatic out.

It's obvious Oz loves Griffey in center. So my question to you is: Can we win with Wise, Griffey and Dye because that's gonna be the lineup.

Many of the posters on here ripping Wise IMO are VERY knowledgable so Wise's presence concerns me. Yet I can see why Swish earned himself a permanent spot in the doghouse.

I don't think it has anything to do with Swish's "eyes". Ozzie just believes that Wise's perceived speed (even though it's negated by his awful reads) helps make up for Griffey's lack of range in CF (since he's going to go with the veteran HoF in CF). Stone pretty much reiterated these thoughts on the Radio this afternoon.

There's no doubt in my mind that we'll see an OF of Wise-Griffey-Dye in Game 1 but we'll see our best possible OF in Game 2 with Swisher-Anderson-Dye going up against the lefty Kazmir.

That all makes great sense Kalapse. That's it in a nutshell right there. I agree with all of that and backed by Stone's comment it's even more solid as he is the best.

I don't know about BA in cf in game two however. What's the last game BA has started?

Edited by greg775