The 25 man roster

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 09:55 AM)
Yea, but you really can't get creative with that. If we don't take Bourgeois, we have no backup utility INF. I don't think Ozzie wants Fields starting and I really can't blame him.

They could choose Bourgeois over Jerry Owens or Wise in the outfield as well to ensure that they have a backup middle IF. Of course, with Ramirez and Uribe capable of playing SS/2B, perhaps they just stick to what they have been doing, and that's using Fields as a replacement at 3B for Uribe (if needed). Bascially, the White Sox have bad depth so this is just picking what smells slighly less worse.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 11:44 AM)
I don't think Wise and Anderson are locks - in fact, I'd bet only one of them makes it.

Russell has basically not pitched, so I don't see him being likely. MacD, or even Wass, would get it over Russell.

You say Fields over Bourgeois because Boourgoeis doesn't play third, but using that logic, Fields doesn't play 2B or SS. JB allows more flexibility. Juan can move over to either, so if flexibility isn't important, then its not a matter of who plays 3rd (where O-Cab or Ramirez can play, BTW) - its which bat, defense and speed you'd rather have around.

Anderson is a lock. He's our best defensive OF, and will play in any close game during the late innings.

The funny thing is that Edwin Jackson was left off their playoff roster, and he's a darn good pitcher. He's more or less the equivalent of our Javier Vazquez. On our playoff roster, he would be Clayton Richard.

In terms of their pitchers, Shields is definitely the most consistent in providing quality starts, but all of them have struggled at various times during the September stretch drive.

Kazmir is the one guy who can go out there and throw a no-hitter or go Rick Ankiel almost on you...and fall apart with his control. Sonnanstine has also struggled. And some of our hitters are familiar with Garza from 06/07, so that should be beneficial. OTOH, most of their hitters have not seen Floyd or Danks at their best.

Tough choices for the manager. I think MacDougal might be the slight favorite over Russell (definitely) and Wasserman (maybe).

Don't see Anderson or Wise getting left off the team, especially with three games possibly on turf. The turf concept also tends to favor the inclusion of JB over Fields, because we already have Swisher to use off the bench for pop, and Hall is very comfortable playing in that environment too.

Ramirez is a a tough one to choose too...then there's Broadway, but he doesn't serve any purpose, since we have Carrasco and Richard for long-relief of Vazquez (or any other early faltering starter).

The White Sox love being in this position I think. Only 2 of the Tribune writers picked them to make it past the Rays.

EDIT: We need someone like Juan Castro on the White Sox...that guy should be there, simply for being such a great fielder and because he's Vin Scully's favorite Dodger of all-time.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 01:09 PM)
Can't believe they left off Edwin. I would've at least put him in the bullpen.

I think that's a mistake by Maddon and company. Of course, I'm pretty sure they have Price on their roster so it's not like they'll be empty handed with studly arms.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 01:11 PM)
I think that's a mistake by Maddon and company. Of course, I'm pretty sure they have Price on their roster so it's not like they'll be empty handed with studly arms.

True. Honestly though, both would be bullpen arms. Edwin has been really really good this year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 02:11 PM)

Why they would pick Price over Jackson is beyond me...they need all the guys with experience they can get, IMO. It's almost like if we added Poreda to our post-season roster...not quite, but close.