If BA was in center in the 5th inning . . .

Texsox

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 03:55 AM)
just curious, did the twins have anyone on the bench from the minors or whatever/expanded roster, that had more speed than cuddyer that could replace his position in the field?

you'd have to think that someone with actual speed would've scored there

They used Tolbert to pinch run in the 8th and Cuddy was the DH, so I don't think the D replacement would be problem ;)

I'm still wondering why the Twins sent Cuddyer, it was a stupid move. Any CF not named Jerry Owens could have thrown out Cuddyer in that situation. In that situation you send him only if it takes a perfect throw, and Griffey's throw was far from perfect.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 07:33 AM)
I have said repeatedly during the last couple days that Anderson doesn't throw out Cuddyer at the plate, and Griffey doesn't make the catch in the 9th. Anderson has a better arm, but the first time I see him hit the target at homeplate, it will be the first. Griffey doesn't have the range that Anderson does (duh).

I'm fairly confident that BA, or anyone this side of Johnny Damon for that matter, could have thrown Cuddy out at home. That's how shallow that ball was hit.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 07:41 AM)
I'm still wondering why the Twins sent Cuddyer, it was a stupid move. Any CF not named Jerry Owens could have thrown out Cuddyer in that situation. In that situation you send him only if it takes a perfect throw, and Griffey's throw was far from perfect.

exactly right. Griffey has been around.I'm sure he knew he had time to nail him at the plate. In fact,on the replay, you can see him glance toward 3rd to see if they were actually sending him. Any major league CF throws him out on that play. The Twins were hoping for a horrendous throw in that situation. That's the only way they score there.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 09:28 AM)
It takes a good throw, a catch and a tag. If any element is not not executed, it's a run. That was a good play on the Twins part with the game situation as it was. If I'm coaching 3rd, he's going.

I'm thinking,if the sitaution was reversed, and Cox had sent someone like AJ,and he was out at the plate, that Cox would be getting roasted by the fans.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 09:40 AM)
I'm thinking,if the sitaution was reversed, and Cox had sent someone like AJ,and he was out at the plate, that Cox would be getting roasted by the fans.

X100 :notworthy

QUOTE (BearSox @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 06:41 AM)

I don't buy that for a second. At that point in the game no one has come close to scoring, you try to make something happen. A million different good things can happen from the Twins view, and only one bad one. The Sox just executed the play well and it didn't work out for MN. Its the exact same way the Twins have played all year long, and put up big innings doing it. Getting conservative at that point just wasn't going to happen, and nor should it have.

I am baffled by this thought that griffey's throw was far from perfect. His form was perfect on the catch aside from catching the ball on his glove side(minimal time difference). He was clearly moving forward on the catch. He throws a one hopper strike to aj on the runner's side. Are you guys looking for an exaggerated crow hop that would have wasted more time just so he could get it there on the fly? Or do you want him rediculously running full speed at the ball on the catch? Great play, great throw, the twins made the right call for the situation, being that griffey doesn't have the greatest arm.