When did you start feeling old?

kjshoe04

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 11:20 AM)
s***, Im 27 and my recovery time from sports or even injuries gets longer every day. I got advice from an older family member awhile back that I think made a large impact on me. He said that he wishes he was more active when his body could actually perform the way he wanted it to. He mentioned that people spend alot of time working and watching TV and not enough enjoying the time when you can actually play sports, or run races or even just be active all the time. My advice to everyone is that you shouldnt take your physical health for granted because one day, its gone.

YES, but excercise caution. 3 knee surgeries, 2 broken feet and a torn totator cuff from being active while I can have severly hampered my ability to do much of anything now. Walking is a pain, literally, I dread stairs and a creak louder than my floorboards when I walk. And I am only 40.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 10:46 AM)
When buddies from high school get married and started having kids.

When my buddies were having kids and getting married, I felt smart

When my buddies started getting married and having kids, I felt old.

About 3 weeks ago, my 15 year old son comes to the door and says 'Dad, brianna's parents want to meet you and mom'. Brianna is his girlfriend of 4 weeks. Every thought in the world went thru my head at that very moment I swear causing what little hair I have left to turn gray and age me 10 more years. Having the 'talk' with the redneck father that only sees a walking penis when looking at his daughter's boyfriends, and remembering what I was like and got away with at his age, just made me dread that conversation even more.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 12:21 PM)
About 3 weeks ago, my 15 year old son comes to the door and says 'Dad, brianna's parents want to meet you and mom'. Brianna is his girlfriend of 4 weeks. Every thought in the world went thru my head at that very moment I swear causing what little hair I have left to turn gray and age me 10 more years. Having the 'talk' with the redneck father that only sees a walking penis when looking at his daughter's boyfriends, and remembering what I was like and got away with at his age, just made me dread that conversation even more.

I loved the "meet the parents date". I had all the credentials for "nice boy". President of the Chess Club. Editor of the Newspaper. Treasurer of the Varsity Club. Three sport athlete. Confident smile as I look dad in the eyes and tell him I'll be careful and have her home on time.

It scares me to death that my daughter would date someone like me. :unsure:

At 23, I'm sure I'll have more reasons to feel old later; but recently, the thought of going to school with people who were born in 1990 was different. Additionally, walking around campus at any one time and thinking "I'm probably older than 95% of the people on campus at this one moment" made me feel old.

I believe it's all perspective though. Whenever I go out to bars I often come across people who are in the their late 30's, early 40's drinking with their friends. Not getting sloppy drunk, but just hanging out. It's a strange assurance to have. Makes me feel that when I become that age I can still spend time with my buddies at a local pub without thinking of it as unusual.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 06:12 PM)
At 23, I'm sure I'll have more reasons to feel old later; but recently, the thought of going to school with people who were born in 1990 was different. Additionally, walking around campus at any one time and thinking "I'm probably older than 95% of the people on campus at this one moment" made me feel old.

I believe it's all perspective though. Whenever I go out to bars I often come across people who are in the their late 30's, early 40's drinking with their friends. Not getting sloppy drunk, but just hanging out. It's a strange assurance to have. Makes me feel that when I become that age I can still spend time with my buddies at a local pub without thinking of it as unusual.

Quite the contrary - later in life this is how you'll probably spend a lot of your communal time with friends. Gathering at the pub to watch a game, getting together at one of the gang's houses to play cards and tip a few, stuff like that.

Alcohol keeps people together.....until the brawl, at least....

QUOTE (Texsox @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 06:43 PM)
That was another point, I fear the hangover now.

I don't get the headache hangover anymore, I just get sore all over like I had a 20 round fight with Tyson. Every joint and muscle aches for most of the day. I was sore for 2 days after my birthday this year. Ouch.

When you watch a college game and everyone's younger than you. When you start clicking profiles of young sports players and they have DOB's that are years after you.

When you go back down to college and realize you aren't a student anymore.

When your 'little' sister can buy alcohol.

When you have a late hockey game, the refs are late, and you actually say the line "these guys need to hurry up, I have to work tomorrow"

Edited by IlliniKrush

The first time I went to the Dr. who was younger than me.

The first time I got pulled over by a cop who was younger than me.

When I realized that a person born on the year I graduated from HS is old enough to purchase alcohol legally.

When I stopped seeing a girl who was much younger than me because she was young and stupid...even though she was smokin hot.

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 09:48 PM)
When I talk of a cartoon I saw as a kid that had REALTALKING lips inserted into the face of the cartoon character, and I was looked at like..........H-UH???????? What the heck are you talking about. (By the way, the cartoon was called Clutch Kargo).

Don't forget Paddlefoot and Spinner, that was a cool cartoon.

love this thread....cuz i can relate

after graduated college is when it started...i started to feel like i had actual responsibilities...i got my own apartment, which meant no more dorm room stuff....no beer paraphernalia everywhere, no crap thrown all over the place...i had to actually keep the place nice and respectable, no more wearing raggy jeans and a baseball hat everywhere (i still wear em but not all the time)

but for me...the biggest thing, and i've said this multiple times to others, was that I felt like i actually had to have a hand towel folded nicely on the towel bar in my bathroom in case i had a visitor...in college, crap like that didnt matter....

a couple of times, but for some reason I use the '84 olmpics as a point of reference, I was 5 when it happened and it's some of my first vivid memories. I remember Mary Lou Retton (sp?) and the big deal made over her, so when I went on a date with a girl who wasn't even born in '84, I felt super old.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Oct 3, 2008 -> 09:12 AM)
a couple of times, but for some reason I use the '84 olmpics as a point of reference, I was 5 when it happened and it's some of my first vivid memories. I remember Mary Lou Retton (sp?) and the big deal made over her, so when I went on a date with a girl who wasn't even born in '84, I felt super old.

If you are on a date and the topic of female gymnastics comes up, you should feel young ;)

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Oct 3, 2008 -> 11:03 AM)
When I shop for clothes and I have to ask myself: "Am I too old to wear that"?

I dated a woman who said that men should never wear gym shoes as casual shoes nor wear a team jersey. She said that's one way to tell the difference between men and boys.

Hmm, I agree on the team jersey for most of the time and places. I disagree on the shoes. I wear Sperry Top-siders all the time. Wearing almost anything else that is "closed toed" with shorts looks stupid.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 08:44 AM)
When I see undergrads walking around just wearing leggings and I think--no! they aren't pants! you need to wear pants! pants are not an option! leggings they aren't pants.

Does your campus have a no shorts policy?