4 players that went home AFTER getting to Tampa

klaus kinski

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 10:01 PM)
Funny, I would have been happier than a pig in s*** if I got another paycheck for this season without doing a damn thing to contribute to it. Might in fact be the last mlb check he ever gets.

Joe Crede did contribute to the Sox winning this season

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 08:20 PM)
Vazquez and Cabrera are two of them.

Their absence did not go unnoticed.

Once the White Sox announced the official playoff roster for the American League Division Series on Wednesday, extra players who made the trip to Florida had the option to stay with the team or go home.

RELATED STORIES

A defining role

Ramirez better than grand

Inside the White Sox: Updates from our blog

From Joe Cowley"

Click here to follow Joe on Twitter and learn how get his updates delivered right to you >> Reliever Ehren Wassermann was asked to stay because he is the first option to move into the bullpen if there is an injury. Not that it mattered to the right-hander.

''I was staying no matter what,'' Wassermann said.

Mike MacDougal, Boone Logan and Lance Broadway, on the other hand, decided to leave their teammates behind and call it a year. In doing so, they left a few teammates shaking their heads and the organization questioning their futures.

I believe this is the real story!

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Oct 5, 2008 -> 10:26 AM)

Once the White Sox announced the official playoff roster for the American League Division Series on Wednesday, extra players who made the trip to Florida had the option to stay with the team or go home.

RELATED STORIES

A defining role

From Joe Cowley"

Click here to follow Joe on Twitter and learn how get his updates delivered right to you >> Reliever Ehren Wassermann was asked to stay because he is the first option to move into the bullpen if there is an injury. Not that it mattered to the right-hander.

Mike MacDougal, Boone Logan and Lance Broadway, on the other hand, decided to leave their teammates behind and call it a year. In doing so, they left a few teammates shaking their heads and the organization questioning their futures.

I heard Cowley on the score yesterday, and he basically said that all of MacDougals teammates hate him, because he's

"odd" in the clubhouse. I'm going to say he must be pretty f***ing "odd" if this group of nutjobs thinks he's "odd."

Ugh, to think that guy is going to make 2 mil for doing nothing!

I don't understand Logan or Broadway...they are fairly young players who may not get a chance to be around a playoff team again. Especially Broadway, who would want to get a place with the team in 2009.

You never know what makes a guy a turd. They've been the best players on their teams (except this one) their whole lives. So they can be egotistical even if they stink. Pretty impressive Jose stuck around. Makes me feel good about him. MacDougal was simply a horrific mistake.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Oct 5, 2008 -> 11:37 AM)
I heard Cowley on the score yesterday, and he basically said that all of MacDougals teammates hate him, because he's

"odd" in the clubhouse. I'm going to say he must be pretty f***ing "odd" if this group of nutjobs thinks he's "odd."

Ugh, to think that guy is going to make 2 mil for doing nothing!

Now I can't help but imagine Mike MacDougal's personality to be similar to Napoleon Dynamite's.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Oct 5, 2008 -> 11:42 PM)
I hope Broadway still goes. He's part of my "hit list" to be dumped after this year.

Wasn't he supposedly part of the 2006 Soriano trade at the deadline? Too bad that didn't go through.

I thought it was McCarthy who was supposed to be traded.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Oct 5, 2008 -> 07:18 PM)
He was walking around in a White Sox hooded sweatshirt.

I wonder how the rehab is going...

Has he even started rehab yet? Everything I've seen indicates he is about 8-10 months away from even thinking of pitching for the Sox in a game.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 06:44 AM)
I have wondering if he has the opposite problem - thinks too much.

Well, I think he went to Clemson! That should tell you all you need to know.

That's kind of like going to ISU or UNI. Just kidding. I have to find something to feel pride in, it's definitely not my Iowa Hawkeye football team anymore.

At least there's still the Sox and the election to be excited about. Or someone knocking off the annoying Red Sox. Even though we're in a better position to beat Boston (because of home field and our teams are similar, minus Ellsbury/Crisp/Pedroia at the top), I would love to see the small market Rays or White Sox knock that smug ESPN/Bristol media posse down a notch or two.

Of course, if the Sox and Angels were playing in the World Series, a Kimbo Slice rematch might get more attention.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 06:44 AM)
I have wondering if he has the opposite problem - thinks too much.

Well, I think he went to Clemson! That should tell you all you need to know.

That's kind of like going to ISU or UNI. Just kidding. I have to find something to feel pride in, it's definitely not my Iowa Hawkeye football team anymore.

At least there's still the Sox and the election to be excited about. Or someone knocking off the annoying Red Sox. Even though we're in a better position to beat Boston (because of home field and our teams are similar, minus Ellsbury/Crisp/Pedroia at the top), I would love to see the small market Rays or White Sox knock that smug ESPN/Bristol media posse down a notch or two.

Of course, if the Sox and Phillies were playing in the World Series, a Kimbo Slice rematch might get more attention.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Oct 5, 2008 -> 11:26 AM)

RELATED STORIES

A defining role

From Joe Cowley"

Well Broadway and Logan just punched their 2009 tickets out of Chicago. Pretty stupid for a couple of young players.

Here's a full article about the whole situation. Turns out Wasserman is our emergency bullpen guy if someone gets hurt. Bourgeois stayed with the team, but has to watch the games from the clubhouse.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...soxnt05.article

MacDougal, Broadway, Logan take their leave

WHITE SOX IN BRIEF

October 5, 2008

BY JOE COWLEY AND TONI GINNETTI

Reliever Ehren Wassermann was asked to stay because he is the first option to move into the bullpen if there is an injury. Not that it mattered to the right-hander.

''Some people might stay to build some experience, but some people might just want to go home,'' bench coach Joey Cora said. ''That's the way it is. The game has changed a lot. If it was me, I probably would have stayed, just to get as much as I can from the experience, be in the dugout or whatever, be there for your teammates, but some people have different ideas.''

It's that experience that kept Wassermann around.

''I was going to go home and watch the games anyway, plus I have a lot of friends out here,'' Wassermann said. ''I might be in a little different situation because I'm one of the guys that gets to sit [in the dugout].''

That could be the excuse MacDougal and Logan give. Because each team can have only so many in the dugout, the extra players have to watch from the clubhouse. Wassermann was asked what he would do if he had to watch from the clubhouse.

''I would probably stay anyway,'' he said. ''I definitely think it says something about you, but everyone has a personal decision they have to make.''

Infielder Jason Bourgeois made his decision without reservation. Bourgeois has remained with the team, even though he has to watch the playoff games from a couch in the clubhouse.

''[bourgeois] wanted to soak in as much as he can,'' Wassermann said. ''I'm kind of the same way. This is my first time to the postseason, and hopefully I'll learn as much as I can from it and hopefully next year I'll be on the roster and kind of know what to expect.''

Both Logan and MacDougal are coming off disappointing seasons. Logan was 0-2 with an 18.90 ERA in the final three months of the season after going 2-1 with a 1.95 ERA in 36 games through July 9. MacDougal struggled for the second consecutive season.

Will leaving their teammates jeopardize their standing for next season? Maybe, maybe not. But it sure didn't help.

MacDougal, Logan and Broadway could not be reached for comment.

I'm certain Buehrle misses having Broadway around. To me it seems like a distraction having some AAAA guys hanging around like some fan-boys. If they ain't on the roster, they are taking up space and breathing oxygen that they didn't earn. If 40,000 fans aren't enough, and they really need Logan for support, the team is really f***ed.

Come on, dammit, we really need those guys close by, in the clubhouse on the couch, they aren't helping at home on a couch. GMAFB

QUOTE (Texsox @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 09:28 AM)
I'm certain Buehrle misses having Broadway around. To me it seems like a distraction having some AAAA guys hanging around like some fan-boys. If they ain't on the roster, they are taking up space and breathing oxygen that they didn't earn. If 40,000 fans aren't enough, and they really need Logan for support, the team is really f***ed.

Come on, dammit, we really need those guys close by, in the clubhouse on the couch, they aren't helping at home on a couch. GMAFB

Come on, you of all people should understand the value of having the younger group hang around the people who have been there to learn how to behave and think like big leaguers. If not, you are probably wasting your time and effort in the boy scouts.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 02:34 PM)
Come on, you of all people should understand the value of having the younger group hang around the people who have been there to learn how to behave and think like big leaguers. If not, you are probably wasting your time and effort in the boy scouts.

Brian Anderson jumping out of the dugout with Aaron Rowand after Podsednik's walkoff in game 2 of the World Series is one of the coolest moments I've seen in my baseball life and I'm sure Brian feels the same way. It would have been a damn shame if he had gone home after the regular season just because he didn't make the playoff roster.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 02:52 PM)
Brian Anderson jumping out of the dugout with Aaron Rowand after Podsednik's walkoff in game 2 of the World Series is one of the coolest moments I've seen in my baseball life and I'm sure Brian feels the same way. It would have been a damn shame if he had gone home after the regular season just because he didn't make the playoff roster.

Yeah but aren't these guys in some room on a couch, not in the dugout?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 02:34 PM)

My point is this is time to get a job done, in Boy Scouts we would have the kids actually participating, not sitting on the sidelines or on a couch far away. So if Broadway declined an offer to actually play, then the analogy would hold true. But to think the Sox need Logan and Broadway to cheer them on or support them seems silly to me. A locker room full of hanger-ons seems like a distraction, not a help. Guys that made a contribution during the year like CQ or JC, make sense, AAAA players can stay home.