4 players that went home AFTER getting to Tampa

klaus kinski

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 01:00 PM)
and they will score points next spring.

You know with Oz, he just may pick someone with a worse spring training who stayed, over someone playing better but who left.

We'll see who here agrees when that happens :lolhitting

Cheers :cheers

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for me, i don't care about macdougal, but for young guys like Broadway and Logan to do that is just dumb. of course there are things they could learn - especially Logan, who, as we know, did a great choke job this year. How bout sticking around to see how you man up under pressure? how bout trying to fix what didn't work this year instead of crying and going home? if given the opportunity to stay you stay because you want the org to give you another chance. end of story.

Can you imagine how great it is as a big league hitter to see Boone Logan come in?

They are licking their chops ready to bash the ball.

MacDougal the same if they want to draw a walk and up their on base percentage. Yet they might get beaned so there's some danger there.

And if the bad Dotel shows up?? Wham. The problem there is there's a 40 percent chance the good Dotel might be on the mound.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 08:46 AM)
Yeah. those 30,000 fans at the game were not enough. I'm certain it totally ruined Buehrle's night when he went to high five Logan and he wasn't there. Or needed a pat on the ass from Broadway and he was gone. I'm certain Junior missed that ball over his head because there wasn't enough guys on the clubhouse couch rooting for him. Comparing professional players to little league players needing their moms and dads is silly.

No, what's "silly" (and that's putting it nicely) is your comparison of Joe Sixpack in the upper deck to a young player who wears the same uniform, has a locker in the clubhouse, and has been in the same starting lineup as Buehrle and Junior.

Like mom and dad (and unlike Joe Sixpack in Section 534), the players in the starting lineup actually KNOW these young players and benefit from their support. They often spend six days a week fighting with them for a common goal. Support from those close to us (in one way or the other) makes all the difference.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 02:32 PM)
No, what's "silly" (and that's putting it nicely) is your comparison of Joe Sixpack in the upper deck to a young player who wears the same uniform, has a locker in the clubhouse, and has been in the same starting lineup as Buehrle and Junior.

Like mom and dad (and unlike Joe Sixpack in Section 534), the players in the starting lineup actually KNOW these young players and benefit from their support. They often spend six days a week fighting with them for a common goal. Support from those close to us (in one way or the other) makes all the difference.

let's keep politics out of this ok? :P

QUOTE (WCSox @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 03:32 PM)

So Buerhle does pitch better if he knows Broadway is on the clubhouse couch watching him and not on his couch at home? If that is the case, then those guys should be there, I agree. I just don't think Buerhle really cares where Logan or Broadway are.

I see Broadway and Logan more like this . . .

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 03:05 PM)
Can you imagine how great it is as a big league hitter to see Boone Logan come in?

They are licking their chops ready to bash the ball.

MacDougal the same if they want to draw a walk and up their on base percentage. Yet they might get beaned so there's some danger there.

And if the bad Dotel shows up?? Wham. The problem there is there's a 40 percent chance the good Dotel might be on the mound.

It's actually more like a 74% chance but the bad Dotel is so bad that it seems like he shows up more often than 26% of the time.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 03:47 PM)
It's actually more like a 74% chance but the bad Dotel is so bad that it seems like he shows up more often than 26% of the time.

That's because bad Dotel likes to leave fastballs up and out over the plate all the time.

The story says the players that made the trip to Florida, I wonder why every player didn't make the trip? And, if they were not going to be on the roster, why were they told only after the got there? It seemed that the team made the decision in route or after the arrived in Florida.

Kenny in Chicago After Twins Game: Hey! We made the playoffs! We're going to Florida! Logan, Broadway pack your bags! It's Playoff time!!

Kenny in Florida: PYSCH! Here's the couch! Enjoy the game! :lolhitting Remember the cokes are for the players so you can't have one. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Texsox @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 10:05 PM)
The story says the players that made the trip to Florida, I wonder why every player didn't make the trip? And, if they were not going to be on the roster, why were they told only after the got there? It seemed that the team made the decision in route or after the arrived in Florida.

Kenny in Chicago After Twins Game: Hey! We made the playoffs! We're going to Florida! Logan, Broadway pack your bags! It's Playoff time!!

Kenny in Florida: PYSCH! Here's the couch! Enjoy the game! :lolhitting Remember the cokes are for the players so you can't have one. :lolhitting

Yep! That would be quite a pep talk.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 07:54 PM)
Great point and something I did not consider. Add that on the side of having 40 guys in the clubhouse. But think about this, does it detract from the cohesiveness of the 25 guys who were selected to be on the playoff team to try to bond 40 guys, including 15 who are not on the team for the playoffs and whose playoff roster spot they lost to? Which follows my point, the focus should be on winning today, not Spring training when a fourth of the playoff guys will not be around anyways.

To play! They are called up in September to gain some MLB experience, sell some tickets for teams that are out of it, gives their clubs a chance to see how they have developed. Lots of great reasons. Why doesn't every team max out on September call ups if the important thing is sitting in the locker room? Playoff teams especially tend to limit how many they call up.

I'm not saying there aren't some damn good reasons for having every minor league player hanging out in the clubhouse. But I guess I'm the only one that sees a cost in having so many unfamiliar and extraneous faces in the clubhouse.

I am swayed.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 01:44 PM)
So Buerhle does pitch better if he knows Broadway is on the clubhouse couch watching him and not on his couch at home? If that is the case, then those guys should be there, I agree. I just don't think Buerhle really cares where Logan or Broadway are.

Given that Broadway and Logan share the same clubhouse as Buehrle before and after the game, and likely speak to him there as well, having that extra support is certainly helpful. It may not be enough to get Mark to throw another no-hitter, but there are positives to teammates demonstrating that they care about more than just their paycheck.

If the support that teammates gave each other didn't matter, they wouldn't be high-fiving each other after home runs and giving shaving cream pies to guys who make game-winning plays. Showing up to the clubhouse on your day off is simply an extension of that philosophy.

We need to ship him back to the Royals. They actually might take him back as the righty bridge before the Mexicutioner with their lefty set in that guy whose name I forget. Dotel is one of those guys who sounds good during the Hot Stove League and you get him and he's not worth the cash.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 11:28 PM)
We need to ship him back to the Royals. They actually might take him back as the righty bridge before the Mexicutioner with their lefty set in that guy whose name I forget. Dotel is one of those guys who sounds good during the Hot Stove League and you get him and he's not worth the cash.

Dotel was worth the cash. 2008 Octavio Dotel was worth every penny of the 5 million he made, no doubt in my mind.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 06:10 PM)
Given that Broadway and Logan share the same clubhouse as Buehrle before and after the game, and likely speak to him there as well, having that extra support is certainly helpful. It may not be enough to get Mark to throw another no-hitter, but there are positives to teammates demonstrating that they care about more than just their paycheck.

If the support that teammates gave each other didn't matter, they wouldn't be high-fiving each other after home runs and giving shaving cream pies to guys who make game-winning plays. Showing up to the clubhouse on your day off is simply an extension of that philosophy.

After thinking about it some more, my comment that they already have a posse of 24, do they really need an even bigger posse, cuts both ways. It probably isn't that much more distracting having guys not on the team hanging around. Especially those that were on the team before getting cut. I still think it is over rated and believe they were only in Florida because the playoff roster wasn't set. If the roster had been set, they would have had the option in Chicago after the Twins game to fly to Florida or not and this would never have been reported.

You can observe all you want but until you are actually there to play, it's all theory. Danks seemed to have managed pitching in the playoffs without spending time on the clubhouse couch watching, and Javy has seen it before and still sucks in big games. Maybe some believe now that he watched Beurhle, Javy is better prepared to play in playoff atmosphere, but I doubt it. And by Spring training it will all have been forgotten and each player will have to earn a roster spot based on talent and performance on the field.

Still a dumb move on their part for not sticking around. But I don't think it was that big a deal. They were cut from the roster and went home.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 08:06 AM)
After thinking about it some more, my comment that they already have a posse of 24, do they really need an even bigger posse, cuts both ways. It probably isn't that much more distracting having guys not on the team hanging around. Especially those that were on the team before getting cut. I still think it is over rated and believe they were only in Florida because the playoff roster wasn't set. If the roster had been set, they would have had the option in Chicago after the Twins game to fly to Florida or not and this would never have been reported.

You can observe all you want but until you are actually there to play, it's all theory. Danks seemed to have managed pitching in the playoffs without spending time on the clubhouse couch watching, and Javy has seen it before and still sucks in big games. Maybe some believe now that he watched Beurhle, Javy is better prepared to play in playoff atmosphere, but I doubt it. And by Spring training it will all have been forgotten and each player will have to earn a roster spot based on talent and performance on the field.

Still a dumb move on their part for not sticking around. But I don't think it was that big a deal. They were cut from the roster and went home.

What these guys are showing by leaving is a lack of the concept of "Team". Or another way it can be interpretted is "f*** you guys, I'm going home." For a young player like Broadway to take a stance that can possibly be interpretted in either of these ways is a huge mistake. Logan probably doesn't have a future with the Sox, but as of that moment, the Sox were his best chance and what kind of message does that send to other organizations? MacDougal? Who gives a s***?

QUOTE (YASNY @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 07:54 AM)
What these guys are showing by leaving is a lack of the concept of "Team". Or another way it can be interpretted is "f*** you guys, I'm going home." For a young player like Broadway to take a stance that can possibly be interpretted in either of these ways is a huge mistake. Logan probably doesn't have a future with the Sox, but as of that moment, the Sox were his best chance and what kind of message does that send to other organizations? MacDougal? Who gives a s***?

I do not disagree at all, I am certain their some of their AAA teammates would have killed for a chance to sit in the clubhouse. But if the roster had been set before leaving Chicago these guys probably would not have even been invited.

Plus we really do not know how the offer was made. Was it "sorry you guys had to make the trip to Florida, but Oz didn't put you on the playoff roster. See you in Spring Training. BTW, we feel bad you made the trip so if you want to just kind of hang out and watch the games from the Clubhouse, you can. No biggie, it's up to you".

Some are acting like they flew these guys to Florida knowing they would not be on the roster and the club asked them to stay and they refused. I can't remember a club talking about their AAA guys being invited to sit on the bench or hang out in the clubhouse before.

So what message does it send? We don't really know, because we don't know how common it is to fly in your AAA guys to be a posse for the MLB team.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 09:19 AM)
I do not disagree at all, I am certain their some of their AAA teammates would have killed for a chance to sit in the clubhouse. But if the roster had been set before leaving Chicago these guys probably would not have even been invited.

Plus we really do not know how the offer was made. Was it "sorry you guys had to make the trip to Florida, but Oz didn't put you on the playoff roster. See you in Spring Training. BTW, we feel bad you made the trip so if you want to just kind of hang out and watch the games from the Clubhouse, you can. No biggie, it's up to you".

Some are acting like they flew these guys to Florida knowing they would not be on the roster and the club asked them to stay and they refused. I can't remember a club talking about their AAA guys being invited to sit on the bench or hang out in the clubhouse before.

So what message does it send? We don't really know, because we don't know how common it is to fly in your AAA guys to be a posse for the MLB team.

I don't care how it was presented. This was a major mistake by each of these guys.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 08:28 AM)
I don't care how it was presented. This was a major mistake by each of these guys.

I agree it was probably a mistake for these guys as it appears now. But I do care how it was presented. I care if this is highly unusual to have AAA guys asked to hang out and be the posse and the norm is for only the team and the one or two alternates to stay.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 09:56 AM)
I agree it was probably a mistake for these guys as it appears now. But I do care how it was presented. I care if this is highly unusual to have AAA guys asked to hang out and be the posse and the norm is for only the team and the one or two alternates to stay.

Do any of these three know what the "norm" is when it comes to Sox and the playoffs?

QUOTE (YASNY @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 10:23 AM)
Do any of these three know what the "norm" is when it comes to Sox and the playoffs?

Yeah, the studied Javy and Thome. :lol:

Who were the non roster guys on the bench in 2005? That would be really interesting to see how it affected their careers.We know Anderson was there every step of the way.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 09:42 AM)

Yeah, the studied Javy and Thome

. :lol:

Who were the non roster guys on the bench in 2005? That would be really interesting to see how it affected their careers.We know Anderson was there every step of the way.

BMac was there also, I believe.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 05:06 AM)
Still a dumb move on their part for not sticking around.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 05:54 AM)

I can agree that the effect on the starters is disputable, but completely agree with the above. Sticking around at work when you don't have to speaks volumes about one's priorities and degree of commitment.