OC and the antics

hi8is

He was backing up Uribe as Balfour seems to have a Zambrano quality of yelling at hitters.

OC struck out and that sucks but you know what, I liked it and I am actaully starting........oh god I can't beleive I am saying this.......liking him down the stretch.

Exactly.

"firing up the team?!?!" Yeah, maybe for Balfour and TB.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 3, 2008 -> 04:11 PM)
I'm sure his teammates love him for it to. Much more than if he wouldn't have acted like a clown at the plate, and you know, actually did something productive, like drive in some key runs.

I'm sure it went over great in the clubhouse.

Call me crazy, but a bases-clearing double fires me up just a tiny bit more than kicking some dirt and a strikeout on two big loopy swings on two balls to leave the bases loaded...

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Oct 3, 2008 -> 03:22 PM)
Call me crazy, but a bases-clearing double fires me up just a tiny bit more than kicking some dirt and a strikeout on two big loopy swings on two balls to leave the bases loaded...

fine, but honestly - ANYTHING - to get these players fired up. i wanna see some fight in them and OC doing what he did yesterday is perfectly fine in my book.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 3, 2008 -> 04:11 PM)
I'm sure his teammates love him for it to. Much more than if he wouldn't have acted like a clown at the plate, and you know, actually did something productive, like drive in some key runs.

I'm sure it went over great in the clubhouse.

Though you're using sarcasm, you shouldn't. Believe it or not, and I know this is crazy, but there are guys who still like OC in the clubhouse. Hell there are people who even like Javy still.

This kind of thing could help spark the Sox in game 2.

It was total bush league and fired up their wacky pitcher. We are about to see how much it has fired up their crowd and their team when he takes the plate. Very stupid. You get a base hit and that shuts the pitcher up. It was very very dumb to do that on the road. Stupid f***.

This is NOTHING compared to past White Sox controversies since the Ozzie Era began in 2004.

Seriously, if the White Sox are MORE intimidated by the fans today, then they don't deserve to be on the same field (like the Cubs are demonstrating by their play).

I expect a much different atmosphere today, more nervousness in the fans...because they realize how important this game is for advancing. Win, and they can look forward to another match-up with the Red Sox in all probability. Although I wouldn't be surprised if we took one or maybe even both games in Chicago to send it back down to Florida for a final game.

I think you are wrong bout the fans caufield. They have no reason to be anxious. They have a young team of nonames who are becoming names. OC helped the Aussie reliever start to get a name. I hope that Mark can shut 'em down and we can hit the dude's heater. Fastballs are a comin according to Grandy.

I loved it. If he had gotten that clutch hit, everyone would be calling him a genius. At least he was willing to put himself on the line to defend his teammate and get everyone fired up. Did it work? No. But his intentions were good. This is classic "Chicago tough." Put yourself out there, try your hardest, and hope for the best.

Good for him for trying whatever he could to pump some life into this lifeless team. Did you guys see A.J. out there defending OC? A pumped up AJ is a dangerous man, so obviously it worked. We need more guys like this.

Sox 1844 you are just wrong on this one. He looked like a fool. You answer back with a base hit there. He looked like a complete idiot and then promptly struck out. He was a fool. A total fool. Get a base hit and then bark at the pitcher. I can't believe we're not in 100 percent agreement he was an embarrassment with that episode.

Get a fricking base hit. THAT would have been the answer and then bark at him from first base or tell the media after the game WHY you were so fired up to get a hit. Stupid move by OC.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 4, 2008 -> 01:11 AM)
Sox 1844 you are just wrong on this one. He looked like a fool. You answer back with a base hit there. He looked like a complete idiot and then promptly struck out. He was a fool. A total fool. Get a base hit and then bark at the pitcher. I can't believe we're not in 100 percent agreement he was an embarrassment with that episode.

Get a fricking base hit. THAT would have been the answer and then bark at him from first base or tell the media after the game WHY you were so fired up to get a hit. Stupid move by OC.

OK, my friend, I agree that would be the IDEAL outcome. No one is going to argue that. I'm sure he was hoping for a jack right there more than anyone on earth. Clearly, you can't win them all. And after the game, he manned up and said it was the heat of the moment, he gave it everything he had, and he lost that battle. But if we're talking about intention, passion and grittiness, I don't think it gets any better than that.

Again I say, if it had worked out for him, you'd be praising him for his toughness, etc. It didn't, but I think you have to give him credit for trying, leaving it all out there, and for at least backing up Uribe when the guy was screaming F-U at him after every pitch. And for coming back the next day and getting 2 hits.

Its easy to be negative in a situation like that, but if you really look at the whole picture, I think it was what (southside) Chicago baseball is all about.

I hear where you are coming from, nice second post there.

But my opinion is he didn't really look that passionate. He looked kind of quirky or dorky doing it I thought.

I guess my anger does stem from the fact it didn't work and he whiffed. I think what he did was wrong. I think you answer back with your ability and not that kind of antic which was counterproductive.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 4, 2008 -> 01:30 AM)
I hear where you are coming from, nice second post there.

But my opinion is he didn't really look that passionate. He looked kind of quirky or dorky doing it I thought.

I guess my anger does stem from the fact it didn't work and he whiffed. I think what he did was wrong. I think you answer back with your ability and not that kind of antic which was counterproductive.

I agree, and it is awesome when it works out like that... but unfortunately it didn't this time, but I gotta say I think its nice to see some extra passion and spark out there. I feel like I'll take it in any way that it comes! Even when it was TCQ punching his bat, or AJ screaming like a lunatic in the dugout. So, while it does certainly suck that it didn't work out, this is a game where you're a superstar if you fail 7 out of 10 times, so its not always going to go your way. But I do appreciate the effort is all I'm saying.

I want this man signed. This even after I called him Alex Cintron in the first month or two of the season. I don't remember the last time I've wanted a guy on our team re-signed this much other than Buehrle and of course Thomas. If we drop this guy because of some hurt feelings from the beginning of the year then I would really be disgusted. This is a winner, and with young guys like Ramirez and Quentin, it's perfect. We have plenty of guys who have won on our team before, but most of them waste their time shrugging or feeling sorry for themselves on the path to first after they've grounded into a double play.

As for kicking dirt? Not even a footnote for a footnote in this series/season. It had zero effect on either game's outcome, and he was just as likely to record an out without the theatrics. Thats just the way our offense has been. Say theres a situation, bases loaded, no out, 2-0 count. If I had to choose between one guaranteed run, or letting our offense play it out, I think I'd pick the one guaranteed run.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

Well I want this guy GONE! And he will be.. He talks and talks and talks, but can't back up s**t! Great he gets hits with no one on base, but over the last month he hasn't been able to drive in a runner in scoring position. He is a cocky player who thinks his s**t doesn't stink and overrated! His defense has sucked this year, his throws are like lobs to first, and is a rally killer like the majority of this team! If he's going to talk and try to pump his team up he has got to get people to buy into him. But how can you buy into someone that goes come on guys let's get some hits and drive some passion, but then ends up striking out for the third out or grounding out with a runner on third. He Stinks!

At one point it seemed OC was the only guy hitting on the team

Bottom line, when s*** goes bad, it is always AJ and OC that seem to have the most life, maybe not hitting the ball, but showing the fire and not sitting on the bench doing nothing. Grant it, baseball is a game about hitting, pitching, and defense, but I'd like to see the team stand up and fight rather than sit and sulk.

I sure as hell don't want OC going to Min, let alone leaving.

Edited by rangerjae

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Oct 4, 2008 -> 10:09 AM)
Well I want this guy GONE! And he will be.. He talks and talks and talks, but can't back up s**t! Great he gets hits with no one on base, but over the last month he hasn't been able to drive in a runner in scoring position. He is a cocky player who thinks his s**t doesn't stink and overrated! His defense has sucked this year, his throws are like lobs to first, and is a rally killer like the majority of this team! If he's going to talk and try to pump his team up he has got to get people to buy into him. But how can you buy into someone that goes come on guys let's get some hits and drive some passion, but then ends up striking out for the third out or grounding out with a runner on third. He Stinks!

Joe Cowley.. is that you? OK, so besides trying to defend himself in the beginning of the year, and speaking for 45 seconds on that stupid radio show, what else has this guy said that constitutes "talks and talks and talks?" Seriously? Even reporters say he never talks to them and trys to stay away from the media. Wouldn't you stay away if you got ripped every time you opened your mouth? And, how do you know they haven't "bought into him?" Didn't you see AJ out of the dugout right behind OC when that pitcher was approaching the plate?

He played 160 games this year, OK defense and hit .280 in the lead off spot (which he didn't want but never complained about.) Enough said. Stop your crying and look at the facts.