Do you think KW would undo the Chris Young trade now?

caulfield12

I think if the Sox still had Chris Young they would not have Carlos.

So no, I think Kenny is happy to have Carlos and probably could care less about Chris Young.

But, if KW can come up with Danks and Floyd, who's to say he can't find two better options with $20 million plus that would be going to Vazquez and Contreras?

Well I think obviously Kenny says that, because if Kenny could have found cheaper better options he would have.

The reason Vazquez is on the Sox is because prior to this year he had a 3.74 era and it looked like he had settled down and gotten in rhythm. There were not very many sub 4 era pitchers available on the market, so Kenny probably could not find a better option at that point.

The Sox did not have the bullets to get Harden or CC, and seeing as they did not even get 1 SP the entire season, I really doubt there were any other legitimate options (its pretty telling the Sox werent even willing to take a flier on Garcia).

From that I have to assume that Kenny could not do better than what he had, without giving up significant young talent and hurting this team for the future.

Thus some times its better to eat a salary in Javy, than it is to rape your farm system. You can always increase your payroll, its not so easy to replace your minor leagues (although for the Sox it is cause few seem to pan out.)

Why does this topic keep coming up? It's pretty simple -- Young isn't very good. Maybe he will be, but he hasn't posted an OPS+ over 100 yet, and he still strikes out like 4x more than he walks. Also, for comparison, Nick Swisher had roughly the same OPS+ as Young this year (93 vs. 92), and Swisher has been a huge disappointment. Would we want another outfielder putting up those stats?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 3, 2008 -> 10:11 AM)
I think if the Sox still had Chris Young they would not have Carlos.

So no, I think Kenny is happy to have Carlos and probably could care less about Chris Young.

Well I think obviously Kenny says that, because if Kenny could have found cheaper better options he would have.

The reason Vazquez is on the Sox is because prior to this year he had a 3.74 era and it looked like he had settled down and gotten in rhythm. There were not very many sub 4 era pitchers available on the market, so Kenny probably could not find a better option at that point.

The Sox did not have the bullets to get Harden or CC, and seeing as they did not even get 1 SP the entire season, I really doubt there were any other legitimate options (its pretty telling the Sox werent even willing to take a flier on Garcia).

From that I have to assume that Kenny could not do better than what he had, without giving up significant young talent and hurting this team for the future.

Thus some times its better to eat a salary in Javy, than it is to rape your farm system. You can always increase your payroll, its not so easy to replace your minor leagues (although for the Sox it is cause few seem to pan out.)

They might have been able to get Harden, the Cubs didn't give a ton up for him. However, there's a reason the Cubs didn't have to give a ton up for him, he's a HUGE question mark with his health.

I guess it comes down to whether we'd be better off with someone like Byrd, Maddux or Washburn than Vazquez next season. Anthony Reyes and Blanton were out there...Chad Gaudin. Not very much to get overly excited about. But that's the state of pitching in the game today.

To the Twins, Washburn (and his contract), was definitely not worth parting with for either Blackburn or Perkins.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 3, 2008 -> 10:24 AM)
True we may have been able to get Harden, but likely the Cubs would have been able to beat whatever offer we made.

Im sure the A's wanted Poreda from us, and after that point the Sox just really dont have a lot of depth to trade in the minors.

Yeah, the Cubs probably would have matched any team until it got silly. It was a very good move for them, his upside is tremendous and they were basically in the same position if his arm fell off with giving up only minimal talent. He will be another pitcher who some team will give a huge FA contract to and I will be left scratching my head

For all the complaints about the Sox being a softball team that can't score runs without hitting homers...

How does adding a guy with a .300 OBP (that can occasionally knock the ball out of the park if he connects) really help us?

Isn't that just more of the same 'ol that everyone curses at the Sox for?

We've got bangers.

We need more people who can get on base in front of them... and people not prone to going into long early season slumps.

If we had Young back here, I could just picture it... people would be piling on calling him an outfield version of Uribe.

Adios Chris Young... and take your 'legend' with you.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Oct 3, 2008 -> 10:56 AM)
For all the complaints about the Sox being a softball team that can't score runs without hitting homers...

How does adding a guy with a .300 OBP (that can occasionally knock the ball out of the park if he connects) really help us?

Isn't that just more of the same 'ol that everyone curses at the Sox for?

We've got bangers.

We need more people who can get on base in front of them... and people not prone to going into long early season slumps.

If we had Young back here, I could just picture it... people would be piling on calling him an outfield version of Uribe.

Adios Chris Young... and take your 'legend' with you.

All those things said...

1) Young is a very good defensive CFer, minus a plus arm

2) He can definitely go 1st to 3rd on singles, and 1st to home on doubles

3) He has a lot more upside than Nick Swisher, because Swisher isn't a natural CFer

4) A better comparison with Uribe would be Brian Anderson, if he was to play on an everday basis...except Anderson would hit 15-18 homers, not 30+.

From a minor league player perspective...

I think the recent trade KW and fans are going to come to regret the most is trading Aaron Cunningham for Danny Richar.

Cunningham is a really good ballplayer. I think he has all-star potential. 22 years old outfielder... blew through 2 levels (AA and AAA) in the A's system this year. Combined stat-line: .329/.400/.532. He got a September call-up and played in 22 games.

Watch next year... I predict he will be a starter for Oakland and hit over .300 on the season... and he has good pop in his bat... 17 homeruns in the minors this year.

And what did we get for him? One of the two guys we threw together for Griffey. Ouch.

Edited by scenario

While I was a huge fan of Young as a prospect, he hasnt really been that good in the majors. The trade that KW prob wishes he could do was Cunningham for Richar. While I liked the tools Richar brought, I didnt understand the trade with how Cunningham was highly thought of and on the rise. But in the end, you win some trades and you lose some..... as long as KW is on the winning side more often than not Im not complaining.

Oh my F*CKING GOD get the F*CK OVER IT!

Do you think AZ would undo the Quentin deal?

Do you think TEX would undo the Danks deal?

Do you think PHI would undo the Floyd deal?

Do you think some teams might have ponied up a bit more dough for Alexei?

GET OVER IT.

/thread.